Thread: Camping within 2-3 hours north of Anchorage

Default Camping within 2-3 hours north of Anchorage

Looking for somewhere to go this weekend. We spend so much time on the Kenai Pen. during the summer, we thought we'd go north for a change. We may just end up at Eklutna if spots are available, but looking for other places north - either up the Parks or Glenn - within 2-3 hours of Anchorage. Proposing to leave Friday after work and return Sunday.

Good Trout/Grayling/etc. fishing nearby would be a huge bonus (five year old daughter type fishing).
    Never count your days, but rather, make all of your days count.

Montana Creek would be an option; about 2 hours. No Kings that I know of, so it shouldn't be crowded. What about Brushkana or Seattle Creek on the Denali Highway? May be a little far come to think of it.

Klutina River, Gulkana River; both are about 200 miles.

I know what you mean, I get tired of heading south to the same area every time.

Tim

you have lake Louise up hear.. and the klutina is another 20.min away.. I'm on Tolsona

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

On the Glenn you can do Kings River, Long Lake, Sheep Mountain, and Eureka all within 2 hours from Anchorage. I've seen trout in Long Lake near the shore, so it might work for youngster fishing, not sure about fishing at the other places, but the views at Sheep Mountain and Eureka are incredible.

On the Parks I'm not sure of names, but most of the creeks that cross the highway have fish in them, and a few campgrounds there too as I recall.

Just an fyi, I always seemed to notice bugs up the Parks sooner than around Anchorage, so they may be coming out already up there, just a reminder to bring the bug dope.

Quote Originally Posted by mdhunter View Post
    On the Glenn you can do Kings River, Long Lake, Sheep Mountain, and Eureka all within 2 hours from Anchorage.
    I know there is a campground at Kings River, but are there developed camping areas at Long Lake, Sheep Mountain or Eureka?

I don't have a potty in the trailer and there's a limit on how natural I want to be .

Quote Originally Posted by Katie View Post
    I know there is a campground at Kings River, but are there developed camping areas at Long Lake, Sheep Mountain or Eureka?

I don't have a potty in the trailer and there's a limit on how natural I want to be .
    Katie - there are outhouses just across the little footbridge at Long Lake, but they stopped maintenance on them a few years back, and they were pretty nasty when I went thru last September.

If I recall there's an RV park at Sheep Mountain, but I'm not sure if there are developed campgrounds, as we used to do those areas as day trips from Anchorage so we never camped there. Plenty of places to camp, but I can't recall if there are restrooms or not.

There are a couple of restrooms as you're heading north a couple/few miles outside of Sheep Mountain, on the left side of the road opposite the gravel road to the radio tower. It's a couple of miles before you hit the gravel pit and main lakes at Eureka.

Default Sheep Mountain lodge

One more thing - if you're up that way, stop in at Sheep Mountain Lodge for lunch or dinner. If you try the chili, it comes with a homemade roll that is about 4" by 4", and is also about 4" high. In a word - YUMMY.

Quote Originally Posted by mdhunter View Post
    Just an fyi, I always seemed to notice bugs up the Parks sooner than around Anchorage, so they may be coming out already up there, just a reminder to bring the bug dope.
    Sometimes it's easy to tell you are 3500 miles away. The bugs have been rock solid for at least 6 weeks

I agree with you though. Take lots of dope
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

Quote Originally Posted by Phish Finder View Post
    Sometimes it's easy to tell you are 3500 miles away. The bugs have been rock solid for at least 6 weeks

I agree with you though. Take lots of dope
    Yea, I should have said that was more of a general comment than a this month comment...it always seemed like we started to notice the bugs up the Parks a couple of weeks before we noticed them around Anchorage.

Six weeks? Yowza. I was there June 1-12 last year, and it only hit 60 degrees once.

We hit 60 degrees several times in May this year. It's been the nicest summer I can remember in a while.

Kings are in Montana Creek (so they say) and the campground is pretty much full right now.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Was up there today, Willow creek camp ground is a ghost town, looked like there was a few spots at Montana creek (won't last long), Eureka on the Glen is always a good spot we stay in the gravel pits past the lodge.