Thread: Dipnetting Copper River in August?

Default Dipnetting Copper River in August?

I am thinking that I may not get down to the Copper until the first full week of August. Is that too late? What say you?

Quote Originally Posted by RuschinShmushin View Post
    I am thinking that I may not get down to the Copper until the first full week of August. Is that too late? What say you?
    Not necessarily, but a lot depends on the fish. Watch the F&G counts two to three weeks before you can go. If there are decent numbers, you should do alright still. There will be a lot of loitering fish in the system by then, too.

No I think you would be okay, definitely check the reports. I've caught fish into September there before, but of course they were cohos and not reds though. If the water isn't high, I think you should find some success.

Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

Default Aug dipping

Last year I went down Mid-August or later. Was the last week Mark Hem was chartering and his partner (Sam) had already closed up for the season. I got 20some in a day of dipping and was happy with that. A few silvers but mostly good looking reds. There was only one boat load of customers and we all did well, which Mark said was due to the fact that we all got the best spots for dipping.(fewer customers get the top spots)
    2 years ago I planned to go down the last week Mark was chartering but he pulled out early. Can't blame him if he plays it by ear a bit and if plans to stay open to a certain date but there are no dippers he just closes up. Keep that in mind. I'll see if I can find out when He and Sam plan to stay open until this year and post it. Good luck whenever you get down there.
    Paul Holland
    Board Member Chitina Dipnetters Association
    chitinadipnetters dot com

Default August is good.

A couple of years ago, I dipnetted the last week of August. I too was skeptical, as I had always fished it earlier. When I arrived at Obrian Creek, there was only one other guy there. We backed our pickups to the edge of the boat launch area and spent the day fishing and enjoying ice cold molson beer. I only caught reds and only threw a few back. The fish were big and bright. We each caught our 30 fish. The other guy caught 2 of the most beautiful steelhead that I've ever seen. For the nit-pickers, they were released. Lots of fat dollies too. They surely were released as well. Of all the Copper River trips, this was the very best I've had. I hope that this helps.

Question question

Are you saying you dipnetted right where the boats launch, that shore area? Thought that was native land (all but the narrow portion where the boats launch)

Quote Originally Posted by Frank View Post
    A couple of years ago, I dipnetted the last week of August. I too was skeptical, as I had always fished it earlier. When I arrived at Obrian Creek, there was only one other guy there. We backed our pickups to the edge of the boat launch area and spent the day fishing and enjoying ice cold molson beer. I only caught reds and only threw a few back. The fish were big and bright. We each caught our 30 fish. The other guy caught 2 of the most beautiful steelhead that I've ever seen. For the nit-pickers, they were released. Lots of fat dollies too. They surely were released as well. Of all the Copper River trips, this was the very best I've had. I hope that this helps.

Default nit-picker

Yes, that's exactly where I fished. Maybe I am native.
    Last edited by Brian M; 07-04-2009 at 20:41.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank View Post
    Yes, that's exactly where I fished. Maybe I am native.
    Dont you know?
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

Default August....YEAAAA

I always do extremely well the last week of August, no kings, achance you might get a silver or two but the red run is usually pretty good then.

Default August dipnetting is the best

I love to dipnet in August for a couple reasons. 1) There is hardly anyone else down dipnetting. The "trail" is usually the best it will be for the season with all the previous travelers fixing spots here and there (thanks to all who take the time to improve the trail). The sockeye are still running strong. The silvers are nothing to turn your nose up at. We caught our limit in less than 20 hours from the bank each time we went. We also didn't have to wait in line for our favorite spots. We also were able to park and camp in the nice spots closer to O'Brien creek.

The only downside for august was we did toss some sockeye back that were starting to turn red and get soft. However, we did catch quite a few which still had scales on them a sea lice...I was surprised they came up the river from the ocean so fast.

Good luck and stay warm.

CubeCove