Thread: Bilge pump for inflatable sport boat

Default Bilge pump for inflatable sport boat

Has anybody ever put a bilge pump or washdown pump in a zodiac? I need help coming up with a good system as the boat & motor is to heavy to beach & drain or to always try & drain through the plugs while on step. Also for some reason it just gets a lot of splash over the transom while driving. ( Willing to pay for help in desing & installation ).
    There is just to much water to use a manual pump all the time.
    I thought about using a wash down pump but I didn't like the size & floor space it would take up in addition it would have to be alble to withstand saltwater baths over the top & from the bottom.
    Any ideas or proven experiences would be appreciated.
    Thanks

Never tried anything other than the transom plugs or a hand pump on my inflatables, never thought those methods to be too inconvenient really.

Default to much water

For some reason I get a lot of water. So much so that to pump it, the two of us go to the back while one drives & the other pumps until they can't any longer & you switch places.. repeat as necessary.
    Have to do this when we get ready to leave camp for the morning, & again after we have been sitting for a few hours bottom fishing before we go back to camp. Then reapeat again if we want to go out in the evening, & again the following day. Makes for a lot of manual pumping for a weekend of camping / fishing.
    If I don't pump it I am ankle deep in water as we are driving & every time you flex or porpise in following seas it shoots water all over the back side of the driver.
    I am thinking of putting on a hydrofoil & coming up with a triangle of material to cover the corners from the transom on each side of the outboard to the tubes to see if that helps keep the water out.

Check the bottom for leaks, by your description there are holes in the bottom fabric or a seam allowing water to enter, or a faulty transom plug.

I f you have a trailer, put it up on the trailer and fill it with just enough water to cover the bottom without the floor boards and watch for a leak/s.

Take a look at these deck drains. They work great on ribs and regular inflatables. Pretty easy to make them out of strips of hypalone.
    http://rib.net/forum/showthread.php?...light=elephant

even without leaks i use a portable bilge pump runs on d batteries about $35 and i think home depot carries them also west marine and sportsmans probably carry them
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER