Thread: How is the clamming this year?

Default How is the clamming this year?

Has anyone been clamming this year in Ninilchik or Clam Gulch this year? I'm thinking about taking the kids this week.

I will say that Clam Gulch is better this year than the last 3-4 years. You do have to go south about 2-3 miles once on the beach but clams seem to be bigger. Ninilchik is Ninilchik, seems to keep producing year after year. On big tides, when tons of people are around, go south of the tractor launch. You might not get as many clams, but they are usually bigger. Who needs 60 clams each anyway?

Default pretty good

Wife and I went back in the end of May. We got 100 on one tide. She left last Sunday with other family members for clamming this week.

Smile the same...

I was digging at Ninilchik earlier this year with the grandkids and daughters. It is the same muddy, sandy and wet mess it always was. Cleaning them is a pain. Eating them is better then ever. Watching the kiddies makes it all worth while!

I got a limit of 60 clams on one of the first low tide days of June. I went about a half mile south of the launch in Ninilchik. Clams were deep and shows pretty faith, but they were decent size and took me about 2.5 hours

Heard the Clam Gulch area is starting to come back, but still not much size.

Dug Ninilchik area a number of times in different locations, numbers are there ... but there's no question the average size of the clams is getting smaller and smaller.

Lots more pressure these days, perhaps it's time to drop back to 45 again??

Default Chowder!

Was there this last good tide, Monday. Took my uncle and son, between the three of us we got about 90 in a 3 hour span and boy can I say they make some good clam chowder!