Thread: Klutina reds a no show

Default Klutina reds a no show

Went down to Klutina Friday thru Sunday afternoon. Saw maybe 8 fish caught. Was a nice drive but no fish.

Moose, Thanks for taking the time to line me out with words of wisdom and a starter kit of materials. Now I know how to fish in the Klutina. It was much appreciated.

maybe you could help me out with a list as I'm new to fishing
    and am heading to the klutina here on the 15th

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

hmm...number are looking promising, I would bet there will be good fishing this coming weekend. I'm heading down there Thursday night, I will report back Monday with results. Thanks for the Report!

Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

I havent heard from my buddies in a few days (sat morning) but the report I had was the same..high muddy water on the gulkana and no fish in the klutina...they did catch ONE for 3 rods in a number of hours fishing. They've been there all week with little to show for it.

Default Klutina list

Quote Originally Posted by ret25yo View Post
    maybe you could help me out with a list as I'm new to fishing
    and am heading to the klutina here on the 15th

It was my first time down there, but the list is easy. Take a 8wt fly rod or a sturdy medium action rod and reel with 17lb. test. I used a three way swivel and attached my lead weight off the swivel and then a 2 ft. leader with a 3/0 hook and piece of pink or orange yarn on the hook. I tried a couple of flies also, but as mentioned before, no fish biting. The few fish I did see caught had the yarn on the hook set up.

Believe it or not Sportsman Warehouse is actually cheaper prices than Walmart was on the hooks and yarn. Plus at least at Sportsman you can get some help from someone who knows something about fishing.

Quote Originally Posted by egreife View Post
    It was my first time down there, but the list is easy. Take a 8wt fly rod or a sturdy medium action rod and reel with 17lb. test. I used a three way swivel and attached my lead weight off the swivel and then a 2 ft. leader with a 3/0 hook and piece of pink or orange yarn on the hook. I tried a couple of flies also, but as mentioned before, no fish biting. The few fish I did see caught had the yarn on the hook set up.

Believe it or not Sportsman Warehouse is actually cheaper prices than Walmart was on the hooks and yarn. Plus at least at Sportsman you can get some help from someone who knows something about fishing.
    With how fast the current is down on the river, I would recommend no weaker than 20lb test. How you attach and what type of weight you use is personal preference, use enough to feel it "tap"of the bottom and place the weight at least 18 inches above the fly. Alot of people use yarn tied onto hooks, but I believe most people I see use the standard coho flies. Sportsmans Warehouse is a good place to find them, they are 35cents a piece.

Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

Smile I will be there

I will be heading down this weekend. All I do is take three cans of Miller Lite one for each fish and say "Get out of the water fish" and they jump right on my stringer. That the secret. Oh I forgot to mention better drink the beer slow bcause thats how the fishing has been.

Sound advice.

What will be milling around in the Klutina (or Gulkana) at the END of JULY? We're going to Valdez/McCarthy July 28 and should be Fairbanks bound around Aug1. Silvers come up either or both rivers?

Tim

Default Thursday attempt at Reds

Copper Valley on Thursday-Friday

Susitna Valley on Saturday-Monday?

Will post video reports.
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

When river is muddy tying a piece of orange yarn to a coho fly(red fly my favorite) often helps catch more fish.

Talking Reds

AlcanRon

Sounds like it may be a 2 beer per fish trip.

Default re: Klutina reds a no show

I gotta call this one bogus! The reds are in, not in the numbers we've seen in the past, but they're there. We were there from friday nite thru Tues. am. Caught a fair number, not our limits but lots of fisherman make lots of lost fish too, almost like combat fishing the last 2 days. Lots of mixed tackle and people new to Alaska fishing made it abit harder to land the fish. Saw a young man about 11-12 land his first salmon, way too much fun. His grin didn't end until he left with his grandpa, who by the way, didn't land any fish. Why can't people learn that 'fish on' means to back up abit so a person can land their fish? Saw too many foul-hooked fish removed from the water, but that's a given when people don't learn the rules I guess. Weather was typical, rain, wind and a little sun. Think the fish are just on the way in. No major numbers but enough for all I think. Fishing appeared better on the Groves side but saw 1 gentleman take a river dive too. Some good samaritan fished him out. Good thing because he was definitely bobbing down the river like a cork. People, please watch your kids on this river as it is treacherous. One misplaced foot on the wrong rock can and will most likely, at the least, result in a very wet cold bath if not a death. Lots of deadfall and submerged brush this year, saw way too many unsupervised kids. Be careful!

Default Reds a plenty

The reds are definetly in. I was there the 22nd and 23rd. Caught an enormus amount of Reds. You guys wouldn't believe the number if I told you. Find the right hole and it's one after another. Of course me and my buddies have been fishing that river for 15 yrs which helps. I posted a pic of our limit that took a hole 30 minutes. After that it was just fun. Pain in the butt having to release them feisty reds without removing them from the water. New rule in the Copper river basin this yr.
    Attached Images Attached Images