Thread: Picture of Shrimp pot set up

Default Picture of Shrimp pot set up

I picked up a diagram sheet of shrimp pot set ups at BJs in Anc, but have lost it. Does anyone have a diagram?

Do shrimpers have a separate forum?

Thumbs up One man forum

I would advise you to talk to Steve at www.alaskashrimppots.com
    All my pots and line have been supplied by him. Great equipment, and stands behind everything he offers. Added bonus is the fact that he actually will take the time to talk to you about shrimping.

I don't have anything printed up but i do have some pictures of how some of my pots are rigged(bridles, pot swivels etc). I'm pretty sure i rig a bit differently than fish & game or B&J's but I ain't had any complaints yet. Please feel free to email and i'll try and get you lined out.
    Steve

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Default The mystery continues!

I graduated cum laud phew from Steves shrimp collage last year! Being an exemplary student with great retention powers I have done very well following the mental notes taken during those long sessions in the "pot barn"! As a result of this tremendous mental power I now posess, I listen intently to other "professionals" describe this or that technique guarnteed to get you in the money.

Look around, how many folks are touting their professors as invinciable? Answer= none? Why is that? Do the math!

Listen closely, buy the CORRECT gear, and catch shrimp.

If all else fails, give me a shout,i'm considering on the water instruction, on your shrimp ground with my boat and gear and of course we'll be applying those time honored principals gleaned from the master!

Then you too can tell people your a cum laud phew shrimper!
    Mike
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Not rocket science

1. First you buy a shrimp pot. Steve's pots work great, as do the nesting hoop pots from Ladner Traps (Donalson's has them).

2. Add a substantial amount of weight to your pots. 20# is not too much. Lightweight pots move on the bottom or float away with the current ("My pots got stolen"). It's tough to be too heavy.

3. Buy or make a bait canister, volume about a pint plus or minus 50%. Drill it full of 1/4" holes (lots of them - a hole every square inch or so).

4. Secure a bait can with lid in the pot. Steve's pots have a center chamber for the can. With the mesh Ladner traps, you'll have to rope/wire/ziptie the can to the pot.

5. Buy a bucket of prawn bait. Steve sells the right stuff, as does Donalson's.

6. Fill the bait jar halfway with bait.

7. Tie your 600' of 1/4" or 5/16" sinking leaded rope to the pot. You may have to rig your pots with a harness so that the pot lays flat on the bottom.

8. Tie the other end of your pot to your buoy(s). Buoy selection up here really stinks. You don't need the big expensive A1 and A2 polyform buoys everyone uses. Large foam buoys work fine. You want to have a hard plastic trawl buoy on the line, that's big enough to float your rope and your deflated A1 if you go that route, otherwise you risk losing pots if your inflatable buoy leaks.

Options:

1. Incorporate one of Steve's line swivels near the top of your line at your bouys to help with rope twist. This isn't mandatory.

2. Rig extra pots with 100' or more of floating line, to be tied/shackled to the sinking rope attached to your main pot. Don't trust a longline clip for attaching extra pots.

3. Steep, rocky bottom is your friend.

3. When deploying multiple pots on the same string, idle the boat along while throwing pots so as to space them away from each other.

Default 1/4 inch holes

Some folks in town have recommended using 1/16 inch holes to keep the tiny critters from eating all of your bait...

Anyone have troubles with 1/4 inch holes and tiny critters?????

I might drill some bigger holes in my bait cans.

Default 1/8 holes

I use 1/8 inch holes and have found that the sand fleas still get in. I think using 1/16 inch holes would be best just use more of them to equal the same size opening as the 1/4 inch.

Yep...lots of super small holes. 1/16" is about right. 1/4" and even 1/8" holes will land you a record catch of sea lice.

My take on the sea lice is - they stir up your bait and spread scent. Consider restricting their access if you are into LONG soaks. For my typical 2-4 hour soaks, the 1/4" holes work great, and the little sealice bait-chewers help my scent trail.

Default Amen!

And if your using a manly man puller their gone when the pots get to the top!
    Mike