Thread: whats the deal?

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

Default whats the deal?

i went to anchor point this last weekend and fished for two days 12 hours a day and all we caught were little boinkers. 25 pounds was the biggest that i caught and a couple in the 10- 15 pound range but all the rest were very tiny. where are all the big fish? i got one strike that felt like he was a good one but i couldnt get the treble hook set on that bony mouth. we drifted and covered lots of ground. everywhere we went same sice fish, from 35 feet to 126 feet it was all the same.

Default Halibut

I've had better luck using circle hooks. Should be good ones out at 120'

I've replaced ever single treble hook I have from 0 size spinners on up to the heaviest jigs. I'm assuming these were trebles on jigs. Trash the trebles and replace them with 10/0 Gami's or owners on heavy SPRO split rings.

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

thanks for the input guys but the point is that no matter where we were we caught little fish. its not that we missed or lost the big ones, there were no big ones. have they not come in yet? are they somewhere else this time of year? is later better for bigger fish. i dont want any barndoors would just like to limit out on 40 to 60 pounders.

I am not an expert but this is whet I have noticed. If there is a large tide the fish are small. Another time I have only caught small fish is if there is a storm coming in. My brother and our wives went out last week and my sister in law caught a 60 and 100 the rest where around 30 the weather and tides where just right. Also I think the cool water temps have changed the fish location