Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sheep Gear---The total package

Default Sheep Gear---The total package

Here's my gear for a sheep hunt, some things have changed from last year, I did upgrade to a wiggy's glacier hunter bag and went with the closed cell pad (lot lighter, only 9 oz.) the only things not showing is my Iridium phone, camera, food and waiting for my scope. the black bag on the bottom has my range finder ( nikon 800) Might take that out, if I get that nightforce scope. we'll see.

Default Packed up

Here it is packed up, there is also a small first aid kit, with tooth brush, paste, and water drops, my Iridium phone is below the case there is for my camera.

Wow, nice job. I'll be the first to ask, since its inevitable...what's she weigh! Do you like that trekking pole? Only one? Never seen the cane hybrid before...BTW, where did you put that in your pack. It appears to be fully collapsed, and might make a tight fit in the bag. Is your bi-pod quick-detach? Rifle make/model? Just curious with all these questions....

Lots of great gear there, man! I'm jealous! I'll be looking for another pic of you on the SW braggin' board...

Default sheep pack

Hunt AK,

the "Leki" trekking pole I have used the past two years, it is propping up the pack, I usually walk with it, and yes you are right it is better to have the "two pole system" I am debating going to it also. Yes My bipod is a quick detach system, and it is very light. My rifle is a Remington Alaskan Ti in .280 Rem.

The pack I would say is about 2/3 full, the bag/pack actually extends alot higher than what is depicted in the photo. However, my food will be Mount. House, Ramen, dried fruit nuts etc. It is the Hunter pack.

As you know as well as I do, even on a fly-in,your still walking another 10 or so miles. I will weigh the pack when I get it ready to go.

Judging by your past performance, you really don't need any additional advice. But, if you wanted some anyway, I'd say you're long on silverware and knives. I take a spork and a couple of sharp victorinox paring knives. Might save you half a pound.

yeah, I thought about those victorinox knives, even thought about the Havalon (piranta) knives, but I'm just attached to these, they are both small, the small one is a "Tops knife" sparrow hawk model, the skinner is a schrade, and as you can see I have a small "benchmade " sharpener for them, and they have skinned and boned out alot of animals to include my 2007 moose. The silver ware are of Titanium and are made by brunton, I might drop the serrated butter knife...good call though, thanks.

Nice.

Check out the MSR DromLite water bladders. 2, 4 or 6 liter. About 5ozs is all. You could replace the plastic jug.

Default Water bottle

Snyd,
    I do have a platypus bladder, but have seen how hard it was to fill them in a stream,thats why I brought a pastic bottle, it is an old used "ocean spray cranberry juice bottle, and weighs nothing when empty. I hike with it empty, and just keep my pltypus filled as long as I know there is water available up high. when I spike I'll fill it up full so I have water handy for cooking and stuff. How are those MSR dromelites for filling in a shallow creek? I might think about them.

I also like the empty plastic jug idea. Easier to fill, and definitely easier to pour out of. Would seem to be more convenient in camp.....and FREE! (once you drink the juice )

That's a good looking outfit all right - nothing but the best.

My experience has been one knife (razor sharp) will butcher a ram w/o re-sharpening. I also ditched my heavy leather sheath and made my own. I cut out a piece of plastic from a orange juice jug to match my knife blade, put the plastic around the blade and then wrapped it tight with black electrical tape, weighs nothing, had it for a few yrs now.

Why bear spray, you have your rifle?

You like the flashlight as compared to a headlamp? Maybe you have a headband for it?

Windroof lighter and firestarter (vaseline soaked cotton balls in film canister)?

Like you said, not everything in the photo yet. Very nice, look forward to seeing your pics this fall!

The reason for the bear spray is, I really don't want to shoot a bear...unless its a really big one, I figure the spray will deter them. also i can be quick on the draw, while sleeping in the tent, if I so happen to surprize one, There is a headlamp there, a petzl in it's little case, also a wind proof lighter there next to the knives ( brunton), another secret...after I use my bug wipes i save them for later as fire starter, surprizingly I found an abundance of dried wood on the north side of the brooks range, even drift wood along the river, but no trees, couldn't figure that one out, oh well. I also have elec. tape wrapped around the frame on my pack for usage.

Good ideas. Won't be long.....

Quote Originally Posted by kahahawai View Post
    Snyd,
    I do have a platypus bladder, but have seen how hard it was to fill them in a stream,thats why I brought a pastic bottle, it is an old used "ocean spray cranberry juice bottle, and weighs nothing when empty. I hike with it empty, and just keep my pltypus filled as long as I know there is water available up high. when I spike I'll fill it up full so I have water handy for cooking and stuff. How are those MSR dromelites for filling in a shallow creek? I might think about them.
    I've never filled one from a shallow creek, I usually use a pump and a nalgene bottle, but I would think it should be no problem. They have 3 different sized openings, standard size like a nalgene bottle that allows you to screw on a water pump, another that is about a half inch which works great for pouring, the other is a flip up jobber that makes about a 1/8 inch stream. For years on other hunts we have used the MSR bladders my buddy has, the heavier black ones from 2 to 10 liters. I've always said I need to get a few of those things. I finally broke down and bought one to use sheep hunting for "camp water" that's why I went with the 6 liter dromlite. It will be empty until it's needed like your jug. I've carried a 2 liter plastic bottle and a nalgene in the past. I also carry a drinking bladder that I keep filling while on the go. My old 2 liter finally sprung a leak so I just ordered a 3 liter Kelty that accepts a pump as well so I won't have to pump to a nalgene and then pour into the bladder.

I'm just getting tired of carrying a plastic bottle and a nalgene bottle and then pumping to the nalgne and pouring to the bladder or plastic bottle. Now I have a 3 liter drinking bladder and a 6 liter camp water bladder that I can screw my hyperflow onto and pump. I'll see how it all works out this year in the Brooks.

Default Spotter and tent

On another note, I wa sthinking about dropping the Ziess Spotter and getting the Alpen 15 x 45 x 60 it half the weight and works pretty well for what I have seen in SW.

I wish I could get a Hilleberg right now but I'll have to settle for the 1 man Mountain Hardwear "bunker 1" that I got last year. The only bad thing about this tent is that it does get hot when the sun hits it.

Are you using anything for water treatment?

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post

I'm just getting tired of carrying a plastic bottle and a nalgene bottle and then pumping to the nalgne and pouring to the bladder or plastic bottle. Now I have a 3 liter drinking bladder and a 6 liter camp water bladder that I can screw my hyperflow onto and pump. I'll see how it all works out this year in the Brooks.
    Snyd,

I hear ya on the water thing. I also carry a 3 liter camelback and when I have camp setup I filter my 6 liter MSR bladder full of H20 for camp water as it cuts down on times I have to filter. Can now go a couple days w/o filtering in camp and like you only fill the 6 liter MSR bladder after camp is setup and they weigh practically nil. All my water containers are filled with a Katadyn Hiker Pro with the adapter that fits exactly to the Camelback drinking hose regarless of the size of the opening so everything is easy to fill as I filter all the water I have the potential to drink even though in reality 90% of the camp water used gets boiled anyways for MH meals.

Kahahawi,

Nice looking setup. I have your same spotting scope. I've thought about going lighter, but decided to roll with mine if I was to go lighter it would probably be one of those Nikon II spotters but I'll just cut weight elsewhere....like around my torso

Just curious if anyone has used tablets rather than hauling a purifier? I am also curious about glaciated streams having problems clogging filters? Obviously springs would not have this problem.

The one thing that kind of stands out is the bipod? I'm not sure how much it weighs but it seems like if you are trying to shed ounces that laying your rifle on a backpack ought to be fairly stable? If it extends your range maybe it is worth the extra weight?

I would be curious about your choice of clothes/boots? Looks like a great setup to me!

Synd, I like the water bladder too. It makes camp life on sheep hunts easy, they are simple to fill too.

Default Tripods...

I like most guys, carry a small tripod that weighs about a pound and a half, give or take an ounce or 2. FullCurl or was it fullcurl, or FullKurl... Frank anyway... here on the forums uses one of these tripods. He says it works great and it helps/make him stay low and helps keep your spotter out of the wind. I have an angled spotter but he uses a straight one. It would be a cheap way to drop over a pound. It weighs 4 ozs and is rated to support 4lbs +

Looks like I need to get myself one of those tripods, carrying that full size Velbon tripod can get old after a day or 2.
    As far as water goes, I've never carried a water purifier when in the sheep mountains. I always get my water from fast moving streams/creeks and have never been sick because of it. Any hunt where I am not in the mountains then I carry a Katadyn Hiker-Pro Deluxe which does an excellent job of filtering water.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast