Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a recurve

Default Looking for a recurve

Hello everyone, I shot a recurve for the first time the other at a friends house and fell in love with it. Problem is I haven't been able to source any locally (Mat-Su.) Any recommendations on where to find a nice Fred Bear grizzly/kodiak/supermag ect... or any ideas on like quality bows. I'm not looking for an entry level bow, but I would like to stay under $400-$500.

Thanks,
    Chris

Check out the classifieds at the Leatherwall, the traditional side of bowsite.com .

Archers Den in Eagle River.
    Tradgang has a lot of them in the classified.
    http://tradgang.com/
    I have also found them on EBAY

Hey if you're interested I have a couple longbows for sale...I'm willing to wheel and deal on the takedown a little, the liberty longbow I'm pretty set at 300 bucks, it's an 800 bow, in almost new condition. It's on the classifieds here. The recurve I have listed is taken.

Dan

Thanks for the replies everyone... AKDAN at this point I'm more interested in a recurve, but thanks. Next question is what is the best way to get one of these shipped up here.

Chris

AKDD sent you a PM

priority mail in a tube has worked very well for me. The hard cardboard tubes u find at fedex works..make sure the tips are covered up good...I would have them wrap both limbs and tips up in bubble wrap to and pack it in tight you should be ok. PVC works well but it costs more due to the weight.

Take downs you have more options a 3 piece td recurve you can put in a box packed well it'll ship very easily! At one point I was even able to take my bob lee takedown as carry on on northwest AND alaska airlines....along with a box full of broadheaded arrows!!!

And obviously add insurance, the more the merrier. I hate shipping old bows...makes me cringe at the thought but so far so good, longbows AND recurves.

WIth a longbow make sure the tips are protected AND bulked up enough to not poke through the ends of the tubes!!!

Thanks a lot everyone I just bought a bow off of tradgang. Seems like a really cool site for the kind of stuff I'm into.

you cant just say you added a new lady to your life without more details shoot! I'm jealous...I'd love to buy more, cringe at the thought of selling (thats why I have around 20 LOL), but need the money ugg.

Picked up last years model Bear Supermag 48 in 60# with a stringer and bowsock. A buddy of mine has one in 50# and I really liked the way it handles, so I figured what the heck...

Will be here hopefully next week.

Chris

Right on!!! post pics when she gets here!!! If I can't buym, I gotta look at them lol. If you cant tell I'm obsessed..well you get the idear!

So that would be 48"es? whats your draw length by chance? Just curiuos. I complain about a 58" hybrid longbow a buddy made me. I can never part with that bow (he's a professional bowyer also), but man it just tears these big paws up some days. Guess my fingers are gettn soft with age ugg!

Yup its a 48" bow. It pulls 60#'s at 28" and my draw is 28-29". The 50# version I shot was awesome, should be a fantastic treestand bear bow. I'll post up some pics when I get it.

Looks like another adict has joined the traditional archery ranks!

Chris
    You need to shoot some longer bows dude, the supermag is nice but as the Bear bows go it's uncomfortable and less than stable. If you enjoyed shooting the supermag you'll be in nirvana shooting a Kodiak hunter and full on levitate from bliss after shooting a vintage super Kodiak......Not to mention the Kodiak special and deluxe.
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Once I make some more side money I'll be hopefully be adding a Kodiak Hunter, But for right now I've spent my allotment, I just couldnt pass up the deal on the supermag. We will see what mama has to say about it, I might have to get her one first.

Chris

The Bear bows are sweet, my main traditional bow is a Martin-Hatfield Takedown recurve, it has served me well for the last 13 years, just can't shoot it as much due to my shoulder.

Dave

Jeesh I've shot 66 and 68" longbows out of treestands just fine! Dont believe that brush/treestand bow hogwash! Sounds like a great bow though....

Quote Originally Posted by Rick P View Post
    Chris
    You need to shoot some longer bows dude, the supermag is nice but as the Bear bows go it's uncomfortable and less than stable. If you enjoyed shooting the supermag you'll be in nirvana shooting a Kodiak hunter and full on levitate from bliss after shooting a vintage super Kodiak......Not to mention the Kodiak special and deluxe.
    The short vs long bow argument is interesting.
    I have been a longbow (style not length) shooter most of my bowhunting years. I shoot the shorter longbows (60-62") as well as any of the longer I've tried 64-70") ones. My fovorite two longbows (and the two I shoot best) have been my 60" HH Big Five & my 62" Pronghorn.
    I tried several quality recurves of various lengths including a nice 64" BW MA III I had for almost 2 yrs & could never shoot them consistently well. Gave up on recurves & went back to the longbow. Then I tried a little short 54" Fedora TD Hunter recurve. I shoot that silly thing as well if not better than I've ever shot a longbow & far better than any other recurve reguardless of length, & it surely is handy in the brush or in a treestand
    Moral of my short story? In my limited experience bow length is not really a factor in me shooting a bow well. It's primarilythe way a bow fits my hand. I'm sure there are other build factors in there as well.
    Now go enjoy your handy new toy!!!
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Tradbow I agree a long bow can be managed quite well in almost every hunting circumstance.........except shooting ducks from a kneeling position, that's were my Magnum really shines.

Vince
    Fit and practice are definitely bigger factors than length but all other things being equal by the nature of it's design shorter bows are more difficult to be consistently acurate with and less comfy too shoot.

I have an excellent reason that Fedora will out shoot the rest of your recurves and most of your longbows.......it's a Fedora!

BTW My current personal favorite and this falls bear stick, a 62" holmegaard style longbow made of Ipe and backed with bamboo.
    BHA Member
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

ducks from a kneeling position..how about shooting whitetails sitting on your butt sitting against a tree . been there done that...68" bow in hand . Your only limitation is the mush between your ears! Ducks sure would be fun..never bothered to try it! Dont eat them nasty grease balls yuck!

I like the mag for ducks. But I agree with the thought in the back of your head "There is nothing in the world as rewarding as hunting with a longbow.....especially if it's a bow you made to hunt with yourself".

OK ducks are on the greesy side but have you ever had duck sausage? Ummmmy!
    BHA Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast