Thread: slamon/halibut, Seward

Default slamon/halibut, Seward

Halibut at Seward: Around Hive and Rugged Islands? If so, any particular side/depth, etc? Are the kings running there, and/or any silvers in yet? Thanks. Have not fished there at this time before. j

Rugged Island is generally spotty for Halibut but improves as Salmon enter the bay. Try the East side or Mary's Bay.

07 Ocean Pro 220 ET HT
    115 Yamaha
    Garmin 740S, GMR 18 HD
    Airmar TM 260-MM

Default where else?

Raven: Thanks. Is there any particular area perhaps closer (my crew will probably not want to run any farther)? We caught a few off the sawdust piles several years ago, but it was sort of blindly drifting about. j

Follow Saltwater Safari around and anchor right behind them. They don't mind at all!

Default tie off?

Think they'd mind if I tie off, right on their starboard side? I may not have enough anchor rope. j

Default Ocean Pro

Quote Originally Posted by SkinnyRaven View Post
    Rugged Island is generally spotty for Halibut but improves as Salmon enter the bay. Try the East side or Mary's Bay.
    Not to change the subject but I see that you have a Ocean Pro with a 115. Are you happy with the 115 or do you wish you spent the extra $$$
    for the 150? We are looking at one that has a 115.
    Donnie

Most folks will tell you bigger is better, I have no problems with the 115HP. If you think you need to run faster than 30mph and can afford the difference in GPH go for the 150HP.

07 Ocean Pro 220 ET HT
    115 Yamaha
    Garmin 740S, GMR 18 HD
    Airmar TM 260-MM

Quote Originally Posted by jklingel View Post
    Raven: Thanks. Is there any particular area perhaps closer (my crew will probably not want to run any farther)? We caught a few off the sawdust piles several years ago, but it was sort of blindly drifting about. j
    You have done better than I have at the Sawdust Pile. Anywhere in the bay is possible to catch Halibut, but nothing I have found to be steady. I have had luck at Caines Head, Calisto Head and Bear Glacier, two years ago my father in-law caught a 85# in Mary's Bay. Any of those places are worth a quick drift. The farther you go out of the bay the better the odds of a consistent productive spot.

07 Ocean Pro 220 ET HT
    115 Yamaha
    Garmin 740S, GMR 18 HD
    Airmar TM 260-MM

Quote Originally Posted by AKCAPT View Post
    Follow Saltwater Safari around and anchor right behind them. They don't mind at all!
    Thought they had a better rep than that...that's a little uncool with the whole of the GOF to fish in...Can't you outrun them?
    "The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent in fishing" Assyrian Tablet 2000 B.C.

Quote Originally Posted by akcapt View Post
    follow saltwater safari around and anchor right behind them. They don't mind at all!

wow!!!!!!!! WWWIII

Quote Originally Posted by FISHFACE View Post
    wow!!!!!!!! WWWIII
    In the really cool book "Cod," Mark Kurlansky details how the reduction of the enormous Atlantic cod fisheries had countries fishing in others' waters...I believe it was Iceland whose navy actually fired a round across the bow of a foreign fishing that was in their waters....
    "The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent in fishing" Assyrian Tablet 2000 B.C.

Make sure you anchor up behind the Legend specifically... Bob is such a laidback and calm man that I am sure he will simply smile and wave!

Default Who not to anchor behind in Seward

Just to make sure noone has the wrong idea, the anchor behind the boat thing is a joke. It is the last thing you want to do Seward or anywhere. I did hear that there is a sweet new aluminum catamaran in town that knows where the fish are and if you can catch him, and anchor behind him, you will be assured a good day of fishing....

With all that said, the last thing you want to do is anchor behind or anywhere near the Crackerjack Voyager, that captain is completely crazy and usually anchors up on crappy fishing spots or good ones at the worst possible times...I would advise you to stay well clear of that boat or you will be cursed to catch small halibut, sick pink salmon, dog fish or nothing at all.

Hey, if you can't make a joke on here then where can you?

If anyone would like to make a forum fishing trip following the Voyager out his Saturday please PM me and we can get it arranged. I think we'll just sit at the cape and wait him out.

Default In Hot Pursuit of Salmon!!!

Quote Originally Posted by AKCAPT View Post
    Just to make sure noone has the wrong idea, the anchor behind the boat thing is a joke. It is the last thing you want to do Seward or anywhere. I did hear that there is a sweet new aluminum catamaran in town that knows where the fish are and if you can catch him, and anchor behind him, you will be assured a good day of fishing....

With all that said, the last thing you want to do is anchor behind or anywhere near the Crackerjack Voyager, that captain is completely crazy and usually anchors up on crappy fishing spots or good ones at the worst possible times...I would advise you to stay well clear of that boat or you will be cursed to catch small halibut, sick pink salmon, dog fish or nothing at all.

Hey, if you can't make a joke on here then where can you?
    My apologies for the temporary hijack. . .
    Andy-

Just tried to book with you, but (lucky for you!) you are booked solid.
    I shared the derivation of 'Crackerjack' with your staff, btw.

I went out on the Jedi a few days ago; Salt Water Safari a year ago, on Legacy and just learned I'm gonna be on that 'Catamaran' first thing in the AM. . . not so sure about the 'he' part though!

Perhaps my third time will find me sporting some salmon on the return!

Safe and Happy 4th of July to All!
    Doc

I now return you to your regulary intended thread... thanks.