Thread: Eshamy Lagoon or Main Bay

Smile Eshamy Lagoon or Main Bay

For those who've fished both, which do you prefer? Set nets only during the weekend, so I wanna check it out.
    We never really grow up, we only learn
    how to act in public

Are you going for scenery or for fish?

I personally think Eshamy Lagoon is a very beautiful spot, and there's a short hike up to Eshamy lake. However, snagging is illegal (I believe) for the natural Eshamy stock returning to Eshamy lake. So most just fly fish the area, but usually the natural stock doesn't start returning until mid-July.

Question Shore camping

Anyone know if there are areas above the tide mark suitable for tent camping in Main or Eshamy Bay?
    how to act in public

It doesn't take much room to pitch a tent, so I think it's safe to say there's plenty of room in both spots well above the high tide mark to camp. However Main Bay is full of commercial set netter's summer camps/cabins and as such Eshamy Lagoon would be preferable.

Other great bays for camping (not fishing necessarily) are Granite Bay (south of Eshamy), Hidden Bay (eastern side of Culross Is), and Long Bay from Culross Passage.

Thumbs up Thanks for the tips

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskanSD View Post
    It doesn't take much room to pitch a tent, so I think it's safe to say there's plenty of room in both spots well above the high tide mark to camp. However Main Bay is full of commercial set netter's summer camps/cabins and as such Eshamy Lagoon would be preferable.

Other great bays for camping (not fishing necessarily) are Granite Bay (south of Eshamy), Hidden Bay (eastern side of Culross Is), and Long Bay from Culross Passage.
    Hidden and Long bay are great. I'm hoping to be a little closer to Main bay. I suppose I'll try Eshamy lagoon. Thanks again.
    how to act in public

Quote Originally Posted by Doug from Anchorage View Post
    Hidden and Long bay are great. I'm hoping to be a little closer to Main bay. I suppose I'll try Eshamy lagoon. Thanks again.
    Watch out for the big rocks going in there.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Default Opener all weekend

Looks like the commercial guys will be fishing all weekend.

ESHAMY DISTRICT: The Eshamy District excluding the AGZ will open to commercial drift and set gillnet harvest for an 84-hour period from 8:00 am on Thursday, June 25 until 8:00 pm on Sunday, June 28. The AGZ will open to set gillnet gear only during this time up to a line of buoys in front of the barrier seine.

Red face Main Bay is in the AGZ

Quote Originally Posted by Muskie View Post
    Looks like the commercial guys will be fishing all weekend.

ESHAMY DISTRICT: The Eshamy District excluding the AGZ will open to commercial drift and set gillnet harvest for an 84-hour period from 8:00 am on Thursday, June 25 until 8:00 pm on Sunday, June 28. The AGZ will open to set gillnet gear only during this time up to a line of buoys in front of the barrier seine.
    In the bay itself, only set nets over the weekend. Just have to make it to the mouth of the bay, then it should be ok (fingers crossed and hoping).
    how to act in public

No, the AGZ is only the last couple hundred yards before the hatchery. Drift gillnets can be throughout Main Bay, and the rest of the Eshamy District (From Nellie Juan to Granite Point). And even so, you wouldn't want to snag next to the barrier seine with the setnets in the AGZ, it's basically as chaotic as the drift fleet.

Default main bay

Then is it pointless to try to go into Main bay around the setters this weekend? meaning is anyone going to try.

Any other place to try for reds? I know Coghill also is open to both set/drift this weekend til Sunday. From reading the other postings, I don't know if I should summarize that both places will be crazed, and I should just go for white meat or shrimp.

or if the simultaneous openings will mean that pressure is less in both.
    Last edited by akseagirl; 06-25-2009 at 16:52. Reason: read other posts

On the advice of a few here on the forum I headed north to Coghill last weekend out of Whittier, absolute bust. Not a single red (or anything else) to be seen.

It also gets scary shallow a good 100 feet or more from shore, I was just motoring along when my fishfinder started beeping at me that I was at less than 3 feet.

Unless there's another Coghill bay I've don't know about I'll probably never bother to go back there.

Default Mud flat

The previous post is right. There is a large mud flat I think just south of where Coghill river dumps into the sound. If I remember right, you have to go around it to get to the mouth of the river, and high tide is the time to be there.

Default Overhead view

If you look at Coghill using Google Earth, you'll see where the channel is.

Post bow pickers suck!!!

I think the bow pickers need to be limited in one area. The past two years I've been going to main bay and eshamy for reds. Unfortunately I could only go while they were out. They block the entire shoreline, from shore to 1 mile offshore. and they block every **** fish from coming in to the bay. Its ridiculous! I saw one fish jump last weekend. and at least 200 bow pickers! Its just not right.

The way I look at it, they're fishing for a living and I'm fishing for fun. Yes, I'm also fishing for food but there are lots of places I can fish for food while they're limited to where and when they can fish. Just my opinion.

Default It's there fish

If it wasn't for those commercial guys you wouldn't have those fish. I'm sure Potbuilder will be happy to explain how it works.

Red face They pay for the fish

Quote Originally Posted by Muskie View Post
    If it wasn't for those commercial guys you wouldn't have those fish. I'm sure Potbuilder will be happy to explain how it works.
    As Steve explained it to me, a portion of their pay goes to fund the hatcheries that spawn the fish we all catch in PWS. Very few salmon caught are nautural run. If not for the commercial fishery, Main Bay and Coghill sport fishing would not exist.
    how to act in public

Quote Originally Posted by Doug from Anchorage View Post
    As Steve explained it to me, a portion of their pay goes to fund the hatcheries that spawn the fish we all catch in PWS. Very few salmon caught are nautural run. If not for the commercial fishery, Main Bay and Coghill sport fishing would not exist.
    Main Bay reds are hatchery fish, paid for by the fishermen via PWSAC. Coghill is a natural run. I don't think it's ever been augmented with hatchery-raised fish, but the lake may have been fertilized in the past to boost the productivity of the system.

Quote Originally Posted by overtime View Post
    I think the bow pickers need to be limited in one area. The past two years I've been going to main bay and eshamy for reds. Unfortunately I could only go while they were out. They block the entire shoreline, from shore to 1 mile offshore. and they block every **** fish from coming in to the bay. Its ridiculous! I saw one fish jump last weekend. and at least 200 bow pickers! Its just not right.
    Yeah, I feel your pain, but ... I was a setnetter for one season out in Egagik. Not any more though. The pay was just too low to justify being away from the family. Now the wife keeps the cash coming in while I hang out with my two little girls for the summer. (I'm a teacher.)

When those drifters and setnetters get out the nets they scoop up basically all of the fish for a time.

Now I'm a rec boat owner and just getting out and exploring PWS with the wife and kids. What an awesome place! I've been to Main Bay and Eshamy, but have yet to fish there for the salmon. I actually have fished the Eshamy river when I was a fly fishing guide, but not with our new boat.

My guess is if you keep and eye on the commercial openers you can get in and get some fish for yourself without having to dodge a bunch of nets.

You might even wave at commercial fisher and chances are 9/10 will wave back in a friendly manner. The other one might use another hand signal. Okay maybe that might be 7 or 8 out of 10. Certainly at least 6.

Good fishing.

AkGunner

Talking My bad

Quote Originally Posted by MRFISH View Post
    Main Bay reds are hatchery fish, paid for by the fishermen via PWSAC. Coghill is a natural run. I don't think it's ever been augmented with hatchery-raised fish, but the lake may have been fertilized in the past to boost the productivity of the system.
    Perhaps Eshamy, Not Coghill. Same idea though.
    how to act in public