Thread: parking at O'briens, reserving spot in line

Default parking at O'briens, reserving spot in line

Can you park your motorhome in the lot at O'briens Creek? Or, are the places nearby? May head down Sunday night to take Hem's Monday morn. I see on their website you can reserve your spot in line by placing your cooler there the night before - do people actually do this?
    "The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent in fishing" Assyrian Tablet 2000 B.C.

Place your dipnet or cooler in line at the red cone. Everyone does this. Do not be suprised if you see one dipnet in line and 5 people show up for that spot in the morning. Parties of folks will place one cooler or dipnet in line.

I have saw campers at Obrien creek. I would only take a small Class C down there. The road is tight and the last blind turn to drop into O'Brien is steep. There is about 10 camping spots along the dirt road from the "One-Stop" to O'Brien. About the only place to turn an RV around would be down at the creek itself. The parking lot at O'Brien holds about 50 cars and usually a couple small class Cs and trucks with camper tops are down there.

You could of course park on the native side (Where noone parks) and pay the fee to park there.

Good luck, and be sure to post your results.
    Last edited by AFHunter; 06-22-2009 at 12:57. Reason: Spelling

Quote Originally Posted by nickster View Post
    Can you park your motorhome in the lot at O'briens Creek? Or, are the places nearby? May head down Sunday night to take Hem's Monday morn. I see on their website you can reserve your spot in line by placing your cooler there the night before - do people actually do this?
    Hey Nick,

I don't know what size RV you have, but yeah, that last turn and hill down to O'Briens Creek is a little hairy. Looks worse then it is from the top because you can't tell where the road goes...lol. There was plenty of parking on the free side when we went, but that was a Monday night. I can only assume the weekends are busier.

And yes, put a net in line....the boats are at the far left of the parking lot when you first come down the hill. I saw orange cones at the Hem's trailer and thought that's where they meant to reserve spots. I was wrong...it's at the end with the boats, which I couldn't even see because they are over an embankment.

Be ready to get going early....they don't waste time. My father-in-law wants me to go with him. I've also got a proxy to fill, so we may go sometime in the first week of July.

Good luck!

Get your cooler/stuff in line early because the line fills up fast. I was about 4th in line but due to some bigger parties with one cone/coolers I ended up on the 4th or 5th boat ride out. If you want some ideas about which place to ask for let me know, I know a few of them to ask for. Some of the places they were putting people were producing nothing--zippo, and other places guys got 120 for four guys in the same amount of time.

Thanks for the info everyone! It's actually my buddy's motorhome, and it is a small one. We'll play it by ear when we reach Chitina.

Scott - I've read your reports, good going! Glad you and your son hit it right and got your fish. Best of luck if you get back down there in July.

Wildog - sent you a PM, appreciate the info and the offer.

If I get down there I'll post my report in the ongoing thread in this forum.

-Nick
    "The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent in fishing" Assyrian Tablet 2000 B.C.

Question parking

So there is a section down there by O'brein creek that you dont have to pay to park? I was down there last in 05' and just parked off to the right once you got to O'brien creek above that 4-wheeler bridge the farthest distance possible away from the river.

Thanks,
    Trout-

"I Envy Him And Him Only, That Catches More Fish Than I Do" Izaac Walton 1653
    The question of hunting is not a matter of life or death... it's more important than that

Everything on the town side of the barriers is free parking, everything on the other side of said barriers is $15/day. You'll know when you get there....no one parks in the pay side
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed