Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help deciding on rifle (.375 H&H)

Default Help deciding on rifle (.375 H&H)

I am looking at buying a 375 H&H. I have narrowed it down to the Remington model 700 xcr or a ruger Alaskan in .375 H&H. Any experience with either? I like them both, am leaning towards the Remington as I have always owned and shot them, but I do like the 20" barrel on the Ruger. Thanks in advance!

I thought there were a couple of old threads here about the Ruger Alaskan when it first came out, I seem to recall the guys being pretty happy with the purchase, if you search the old shooting forum threads maybe the info is still there.

The 375 Ruger rifles have proven to be very accurate rifles. They are relatively inexpensive to reload and they produce great numbers. I reload using 260 gr Nosler Accubonds and 270 gr Barnes TSX.

I personally own the African version of the rifle and it is a straight shooter for sure. I've owned it for almost a year and it's already killed a 60" moose and four large bears.

I have a Remington stainless synthetic BDL(made prior to XCR's) in 375 H and H. It has been a good gun for Alaska hunting. I've personally never had a bad Remington.

Default research

After looking at things, it looks like the ruger Alaskan is only chambered for the .375 ruger, which I am assuming is NOT the same as a .375 H & H???? My reason for buying a .375 H&H is that I have hundreds of rounds of ammo for it. It looks like I will get the Remington xcr then as I don't want a different cartridge.

Quote Originally Posted by northway View Post
    After looking at things, it looks like the ruger Alaskan is only chambered for the .375 ruger, which I am assuming is NOT the same as a .375 H & H???? My reason for buying a .375 H&H is that I have hundreds of rounds of ammo for it. It looks like I will get the Remington xcr then as I don't want a different cartridge.
    Correct, the 375 Ruger is a different cartridge than the 375 H&H.

One more thing too. The XCR coating the Remington has is extremely corrosion resistant. Wel worth it and a great gun.

I would also consider the Kimber Talkeetna. The Kimber and Ruger are both control round feed and 3 position safetys which I prefer. I like 700s over all, but not as a dangerous game rifle. Also the tolerances for Remingtons are going to hell as the machines producing them get older. That said my cousin bought a XCR in .375rum and it shoots 3/8 inch at 100 yards. Luck of the draw. I am not a fan in the least of the remington open sites. The kimber and ruger sites are MUCH nicer.

Brett

Default DON'T buy the Ruger...

I had a bad experience with the Ruger Alaskan. So even if it was .375 H&H, I would still advise against it. In fact, I will forever advise against buying any Ruger after the experience I had with them.

A few other options in .375 H&H besides the Remington are the CZ 550 and the Browning A & X bolt. The CZ is strictly a wood/blued deal, but the Brownings can be had in wood/blued or stainless/synthetic. I think Savage even makes a .375 H&H (or did recently), and I do believe it is 3-position safety and controlled round feed, although not in the traditional sense. It is a 3-position tang safety and the bottom portion of the bolt is cut away to allow the rim of the cartridge to slide up under the extractor.

I'm currently pondering the same decision you are. Not sure which one I will choose yet.

What was your issue? Seems it'd have to be pretty serious to advise people to stay away from the brand all together.

Cool 375

I own both and would go with the ruger alskan over the rem. 700. The ruger shoots better and is more managable in the brush. Also flater shooting

Default xcr

If I was going to buy one of the two, I would get the Remington (I'm partial to the H&H) and have a smith chop the barrel to 21 1/2 and put a target crown on the end. I almost did this, but I bought a sako 85 kodiak instead.

Like Seant, I own a 700 Classic Remington in 375 H&H mag and it has been flawless in every way. I would take it dangerous game hunting any day of the week. (and yes it chambers rounds upside down all day long without a problem, and shortstroking, well thats a personal issue for some!)

Get what you like best that has open sights

Default Thanks guys

I am going to go with the Remington. I want to stay with the 375 H&H. No reason to have a wildcat cartridge that is hard to find. I can find .375 H&H ammo anywhere in the world. I may end up having the barrel cut down.

You might consider replacing the sites as well. I'm really not a fan at all.

C04hoosier,

What happened with your Ruger?

Brett

I have an XCR in 375 H&H and I love it. Best groups with 270 gr. Hornday Interlocks is .92" at 100 yards. Great feel and great balance.

Good Luck

Ron

A while back due to some info I saw on this board I purchased a Remington 700 SPS Dangerous Game, real nice gun for the money, it's headed off to Africa some day.
    Bought it off GUNSAMERICA
    Mark

Default Thanks to everyone replying.

I am listening. I plan on taking this rifle to Africa in the future for cape buff. I know that the PH I use has a .375 and if something happens to my ammo, etc., I can always get some. Realistically if you have a .375 ruger, you aren't going to find ammo for it very easily. I hunt here in Alaska very "hard" so will go with the xcr. I am leaning on having the sites on as this spring when we took my dads 416 rigby brown bear hunting, we couldn't get the scope to come up for sighting in and the adjustment screwed right out of the scope! I just took the scope off and used the open sites. I can see this as being very useful as I like open sites in close range.

I just got back in from Africa Saturday, the PH and I talked a lot about guns in 17 days!
    He likes the low power scope with a red dot for up close and personal shots, something a person can keep both eyes open - any ideas?
    Like you said if the scope breaks my Remington has iron sights.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast