Thread: packing for river trips in a 16'-18' freighter

Default packing for river trips in a 16'-18' freighter

Those of you that own freighters in the 16'-18' size range,what kind of rivers do you travel and what kind of distance can you cover.Are you able to pack enough gear for 2 guys for a 5-6 days and still leave enough room for a moose?

Following your previous threads I would predict that your current motor will prob. consume a half gallon per hour @ WOT. For 5-6 days would be an easy one for you. If you were to include another hunter....I would def. be packing light, it would be best to have another boat. You could do it....but you won't have much free board with a moose on board. An extra hunter and his gear......that's quite a job. With just you and a moose you should be packing about 20 gallons of fuel. You will average about 20 miles or so to a gallon. 20 gallons should easily do a 100 mile trip, with extra to spare.

good advise.I have used the new cargo canoe a few times now,the more I use it the more I like it.My only complaint is that it is fairly slow with a 4hp 4 stroke on it.I wonder why they are only rated for a 4hp,weight probably.

already been there grit,
    I had a merc 5hp (tohatsu). It was light, would start just by "toughing the pull handle", and had a lil internal tank. Put a couple grown men in that thing with some gear.......and wach in awe as you plow through the water like a tug boat a 7-8 mph. No prop pitch in the world's gonna help the situation. Save that lil motor for some sort of fly-in trip with an inflatable. But for your freighter.......you may want to bump up the ponies some day in the future. To heck with the manufacturers.......we moose/bou/bear hunters know what 'truly belongs" on our boats. the Yammi 8 horse two stroke has ur name on it............

the yammy 8hp might work for me.I know these hulls are not really designed to plane,I hear they get unstable if pushed to quickely.The 8hp yammy 2 stroke probably wieghs close to the same as my little 4hp 4stroke merc.When these smaller freighters are loaded do they become more stable,as there would be more boat in the water.

Quote Originally Posted by grit View Post
    the yammy 8hp might work for me.I know these hulls are not really designed to plane,I hear they get unstable if pushed to quickely.The 8hp yammy 2 stroke probably wieghs close to the same as my little 4hp 4stroke merc.When these smaller freighters are loaded do they become more stable,as there would be more boat in the water.

Just becaue the ponies are there doesnt mean you need to go WOT with only you onboard. If you load that canoe down with some equipment, meat, and 20-30 gallons of gas......it is then where those ponies will push that weight up current, and do it very efficiently. It is more the weight of the motor that matters, not the horsepower. You will gain stability when you are loaded down with weight. That 8 horse yami is about as perfect as a motor could get for your paticular freighter. I run a simliar sized boat as you have. 44" beam, 17.5 ft. long and the canoe weighs a little over 120 lbs. I have an 80 lb. motor on the transom and feel plenty safe even at WOT with no weight in the canoe. Motors in the 100lb range are out or the question.....WAY too top heavy.