Thread: Ran our 1 yr old lab too much

Default Ran our 1 yr old lab too much

Yesterday for the first time we brought our lab out to our camp thinking the exercise would do him some good. Our camp is about 5 miles as the crow flies. We stopped off a couple miles out of town to pick some greens and also to give "Jack" some rest and let him drink some water from the lake there. He was keeping up at 5-7 mph for a while then started slowing down, I didn't think much of it as long as we stayed in eye contact with him. During the last mile before getting to camp we couldn't see him anymore due to the terrain so we stopped and waited for a few minutes. When he didn't show up I went back to check on him and saw that he was trotting toward us, so we waited until he got closer and proceeded down the hill to our cabin. After arriving at our cabin Jack just stood on top of the hill watching us while we called out for him. Thinking he was just resting for a while we watched him for a couple minutes where then my son saw him keel over, saying Jack was kicking in the air. We grabbed some water then went up the hill where we found him lying on the ground.
    After a while we brought him down to the sunny side of the cabin away from the wind to keep him from the cold north wind.
    He slept for an hour or two with whines in between and seemed to be getting stronger because he kept lifting his head but only to cry out. After a few more hours he started to convulse and salivating and stayed like that for about two hours.
    It was getting late so I brought the kids home and went back for my wife and Jack. By the time I got to them Jack had quit convulsing. When we got him home he finally had some sleep with urinating in between cries. All that time he couldn't get up but seemed like he was trying hard. At one point he stood up but keeled over.
    All this time I thought it was EIC and he would get better but after reading about it online after we got home I think it is something else.
    Roughly 14 hours after he collapsed at camp, we were woken to loud noises where Jack slept. We found him running around bumping into the walls and such where then he urinated on the floor and calmed down some. We put him in his kennel where he finally calmed down for a while but was unresponsive towards my wife and I at talking with him and trying to give him some water.
    Half an hour later he starts to move around the kennel again and urinates. Pulled him out to clean him up and his kennel but now he's back to convulsing but this time he has his tongue out and breathing like after a short run whereas before he didn't.
    Sadly there is no vet within 200 air miles of here or we would've brought him once he was down at camp.
    What did I do to our Jack? Any home remedies I can give him? Help please.

Never mind. Jack just passed.

condolences, very sorry to hear that!

Quote Originally Posted by AkSKeyMoe View Post
    ...What did I do to our Jack?....
    Man, this is not your fault. It definitely seems like there was somthing else going on. I would think a year old lab would be able to run that far without a problem. Dont blame yourself.....just a cruddy situation...

I would have to agree with hunt ak, It really sounds like there was something else going on with your pup. Without having a necropsy done you will likely never now the true cause and honestly to know wouldn't bring him back. Just take solace in the fact that he was a much loved member of the family and I am sure he knew that!

sorry to hear about you pup, has anything ever happened like this in the gene pool that you can find out about. Who were the breeders? I'd talk with them, maybe an epileptic siezure initiated by exertion? Kinda common in labs according to my better half
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

Sorry to hear about your loss.

I agree with the others, This sounds like more than just the running, something else was going on with him.

Labs are high energy dogs, and they will stop when their ready.

Don't beat yourself up,

Good luck.

I'm sorry for your loss. It's definitely not easy. But like you I'd like to know what happened.
    This is my best educated "guess".

Canine Heat Stroke

I think this would be a good topic for folks to review so we all can become aware.
    Lots of information on the internet.

Again , I'm sorry.

Default Thank you all for the kind words

It's pretty frustrating watching one of your best friends go through something like this and you can't do anything about it.

I feel more sorry for my boys 10 & 7 having to watch Jack last night while out our camp. Especially that they just lost another friend, their 4th in the last 3 years. We must be the unluckiest dog's best friends on the face of the planet.

After researching last night I thought it might be Canine Heat Stroke too but I am wondering if it would happen at 35-40 F with the wind chill below freezing, so maybe an epileptic seizure initiated by exertion like ironartist stated might be a better guess.

We won't get to find out what caused Jack's death since there isn't a qualified person in town to perform a necropsy for us.

I will try and contact the breeder to at least let him know about Jack and to see if he has any details on Jack's gene pool.

We laid Jack to rest next to our other friends on the side of the hill this morning. They will all be missed sorely.

Thanks again for all your kind words. They really help at these sad times even if they are from complete strangers.

Default Sorry to hear the news

So sorry for your loss my friend. What a sad story. What a tough thing to watch happen. My sympathies to you and your family during this time.
    What you describe mimics in part what we went through with our lab, and that was heat stroke. We lucked out to have great care here in Fairbanks, and the vet brought him back from deaths doorstep. His temperature was recorded at 109.6 degrees. By all rights we should have lost him. Never before has an animal lived with that temperature.
    But the conditions your dog was in, with water and ambient temperatures don't make it sound as if that was the case. Regardless, you have lost a family member, and speculation won't change that.
    Again, my thoughts are with you. Best wishes.

Default Sorry to hear of your loss.

That just is a hard thing to go through.

I am not sure, and have never experienced it myself, but sometimes if fed and watered good before running their stomach can flop and get tied up.

maybe someone on here can elaborate on that.....?

I can't imagine it being gastrointestinal it definitely sound like some sort of neural issue. But as said by others it doesn't really matter. Sad day for sure, my kids have yet to experience that sort of loss, and I think seeing them go through it would be harder on me than actually losing the family pet.

It very well could have been a case of over exertion/heat stroke if the pup was not used to that sort of exercise. Unless his stamina was built up over a period of time, 5 miles is quite a hike for a one year old pup. We don't allow that sort of exercise with our pups until they are much older. Stamina has to be built up over time, not to mention the pounding on the joints and ligaments if the pup is not conditioned properly.
    If it was gastric torsion the first sign would have been bloating, that would have been evident in the beginning.
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

Just talked to my vet about it and their feeling is there was an underlying health condtion assosiated with the dog such as an epoleptic condition, they felt the exercize could have triggered. The heat issue in the cool weather just didn't sound like the problem to them. Again I'd go back through the genetics and see if epolepcy is in there somewhere.
    Take care,
    Μολών λαβέ

I'm very sorry for your loss. I don't think there is any way he died because of the exercise he got. 5 miles at 5-7 mph should be nothing for a 1 year old lab, even one that is a pure house dog and gets no exercise. (which I doubt your dog was) I also highly doubt it was heat stroke given the conditions he was running in. His symptoms also do not correlate with heat stroke, he would not be urinating and salivating 14 hours after collapsing from heat stroke.

As to epilepsy, I doubt that as well, as epileptic seizures would not be continually painful to the dog and generally would not cause the prolonged symptoms you describe. My 2 best guesses would be possibly an underlying neurologic condition, and also very possibly poisoning of some sort. Vomiting, convulsions, weakness, confusion, pain, incontinence, all sounds like some sort of poisoning.

Whatever the cause, nothing you could have done to prevent it, and being 200 miles from a vet, doubtless nothing you could have done to save him.

Default Sorry

That is very, very upsetting. I'm sorry.

I'm not gonna be an arm chair vet here.

My dog came with a health garantee for two years.........Consider that for number four.

Don't give up......dogs have been raised in rougher situations than exploring the back country of Alaska with some young boys and an active man. 5 miles for a lab in 30-40 degrees is nothing to worry about.

Best wishes for the future.

Μολών λαβέ

Sorry for yer loss.

Kink Alaska surrounded by sled dog kennels, a fabulous view and lots of hunting.

Default K-9 Athelete symposium.

Heartbreaking. Labs push so hard I have to stop mine from overheating all the time.

http://willowdogmushers.com/index.html will have the 2nd K-9 athelete mini-symposium on Sept 19. I went last year and learned a lot about various dog issues.
    Any dog owner can benefit.
    www.alaskadognews.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ak River Rat View Post
    So sorry for your loss my friend. What a sad story. What a tough thing to watch happen. My sympathies to you and your family during this time.
    What you describe mimics in part what we went through with our lab, and that was heat stroke. We lucked out to have great care here in Fairbanks, and the vet brought him back from deaths doorstep. His temperature was recorded at 109.6 degrees. By all rights we should have lost him. Never before has an animal lived with that temperature.
    But the conditions your dog was in, with water and ambient temperatures don't make it sound as if that was the case. Regardless, you have lost a family member, and speculation won't change that.
    Again, my thoughts are with you. Best wishes.
    Thank you River Rat. WOW 109.6 degrees! Glad to hear he made it through fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    That just is a hard thing to go through.

I am not sure, and have never experienced it myself, but sometimes if fed and watered good before running their stomach can flop and get tied up.

maybe someone on here can elaborate on that.....?
    He didn't eat or drink much before we started out. That's good to know though. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    I can't imagine it being gastrointestinal it definitely sound like some sort of neural issue. But as said by others it doesn't really matter. Sad day for sure, my kids have yet to experience that sort of loss, and I think seeing them go through it would be harder on me than actually losing the family pet.
    It hurt me more watching my kids during and after Jack had passed. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntress View Post
    It very well could have been a case of over exertion/heat stroke if the pup was not used to that sort of exercise. Unless his stamina was built up over a period of time, 5 miles is quite a hike for a one year old pup. We don't allow that sort of exercise with our pups until they are much older. Stamina has to be built up over time, not to mention the pounding on the joints and ligaments if the pup is not conditioned properly.
    If it was gastric torsion the first sign would have been bloating, that would have been evident in the beginning.
    Thanks Huntress. Good to know for the next time. We once had a 1 yr old German Shepherd that made it over and back without any problems. We thought that Jack would do the same.

Quote Originally Posted by ironartist View Post
    Just talked to my vet about it and their feeling is there was an underlying health condtion assosiated with the dog such as an epoleptic condition, they felt the exercize could have triggered. The heat issue in the cool weather just didn't sound like the problem to them. Again I'd go back through the genetics and see if epolepcy is in there somewhere.
    Take care,
    I'll check into the genetics of Jack. I haven't emailed the breeder yet, will do today. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by asrjb25 View Post
    I'm very sorry for your loss. I don't think there is any way he died because of the exercise he got. 5 miles at 5-7 mph should be nothing for a 1 year old lab, even one that is a pure house dog and gets no exercise. (which I doubt your dog was) I also highly doubt it was heat stroke given the conditions he was running in. His symptoms also do not correlate with heat stroke, he would not be urinating and salivating 14 hours after collapsing from heat stroke.

As to epilepsy, I doubt that as well, as epileptic seizures would not be continually painful to the dog and generally would not cause the prolonged symptoms you describe. My 2 best guesses would be possibly an underlying neurologic condition, and also very possibly poisoning of some sort. Vomiting, convulsions, weakness, confusion, pain, incontinence, all sounds like some sort of poisoning.

Whatever the cause, nothing you could have done to prevent it, and being 200 miles from a vet, doubtless nothing you could have done to save him.
    Thanks asrjb25. The day before we went to our camp, my boy was giving Jack his morning walk and he said that Jack had swallowed a plastic thank you bag filled with something. Before he could take it away Jack had already swallowed it. A couple hours before we left for camp Jack regurgitated it, we didn't look at the contents of the bag but it hadn't burst in his stomach. I don't know if this poisoned him or not though, he didn't act like he was sick nor was he vomiting during his last day.

Quote Originally Posted by Bighorse View Post
    That is very, very upsetting. I'm sorry.

I'm not gonna be an arm chair vet here.

My dog came with a health garantee for two years.........Consider that for number four.

Don't give up......dogs have been raised in rougher situations than exploring the back country of Alaska with some young boys and an active man. 5 miles for a lab in 30-40 degrees is nothing to worry about.

Best wishes for the future.
    Thanks Bighorse. How did you get a guarantee and what are the terms to it?
    Currently my wife is looking for another lab puppy. Found one listed online from a person claiming she's in Anchorage but haven't sealed the deal yet. Other emails to breeders came back as saying they have none. Know where we can get a male yellow lab?

Quote Originally Posted by ironartist View Post
    Thanks for the link ironartist. Very informative.

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    Sorry for yer loss.
    Thank you.