Thread: James Howell brown bear guide

Default James Howell brown bear guide

James Howell brown bear guide. Anyone have any info? He left his job as a stock broker in the eastern US and went into the Alaska wilderness to live.

I am considering booking a brown bear hunt with him, possibly my once in a lifetime hunt. PM me with any info/comments good or bad.

Jamie Howell of J. Howell Alaskan Outfitters LLC

Thanks
    DonV

Found this on different site.

http://bowsite.com/bowsite/OUTFITTER...?reportid=1368

Steve

man .. why cant we get that system on this board.. that'd be nice to have an outfitter/guide rating on here.

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

did you consider a hunting booking agent? you are looking at a big money trip, with research , a booking agent could raise your success odds, far as him having good gear, food, good area, no body can guarantee a trophy

HI, I'm considering hunting with jamie. I see your post is from 2006. did you hunt with him, and how was he? what unit did you hunt?

Default Different Option

As a resident AK hunter I met a bear guide on Kodiak last year that was very impressive. Karl Braendel (907) 745-4064 not only took the time to answer all our questions, he at the same time was able to help his clients take some big bears. If I were to hire a bear guide it would be Karl.

Quote Originally Posted by ret25yo View Post
    man .. why cant we get that system on this board.. that'd be nice to have an outfitter/guide rating on here.

It was talked about before, I refered the Bowsite set up as a good way to list guides,good or bad. But at the time there was to many new Threads starting off. Maybe we can try again.

As far as your guide info, check HuntingReport.com , I havn't looked yet to see if your guide is listed.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

With any guide - from the hunting standpoint - find out who they worked for as an assistant guide and how long ; how long and who they worked prior to getting an assistant license. If they don't get the basics when they first start few if any, at least that I've met ever do. When they were licensed may also be an indicator. Certainly the standards were lowered considerably in the early 90's (may not have been that great to start with), this resulted in a substantial number of poorly qualified individuals being licensed.
    When helping with the oral test I've always be amazed at just how quickly it becomes apparent what the candidates experience and level of training is and the general philosophy of the outfit(s) where they worked.
    The first step though for anyone planning on booking a hunt is the decide what THEY want in the hunt both from the standpoint of "service" and trophy. After that has been determined start looking for a guide service capable of meeting those expectations.
    Good Luck
    Joe (Ak)

joe makes some good points except for the slam in the face to the guides that were licensed during the "mass licensing period". date someone got a license is a poor qualifier of their guiding experience/knowledge/ability to perform in the field.

i think i would go with a list of references who were unsuccessfull and succesfull.

i'd even ask other guides about the guy i was looking at hunting with. sometimes knowing how the others who work around him feel is an indicator of how he treats those he works near/and or with.

hunt reports must be taken with a grain of salt as you never know how realistic someones expectations are. some guys think they are buying a dead animal, not a hunt. others think you can get a 10' anywhere...expections can make or break a hunt real quick.

booking agents are salesman..i'd be carefull with those.

get a list of questions to ask and keep adding to them as you think of new ones. its an investment and with proper planning you can pick a great outfitter....but remember no matter how great the outfitter, they can't control weather, game movements or your physical conditioning...their guides not magications. best of luck to you.

but hey, i was licensed during the " give away free licenses to the uneducated day"...so i may or may not know what i'm talking about.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Default Jamie

Email sent let me know if you did not get it.

Default Really

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    but hey, i was licensed during the " give away free licenses to the uneducated day"...so i may or may not know what i'm talking about.
    I find it hard not to believe what you say; I've seen way to many pics of you/clients and 9+ foot brownies and I've seen a pic of your baby grizzly as well.
    If I had the 12 or so grand for a brownie hunt, I'ld call you tommorrow ! I don't !
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

thanks bravo, 'ppreciate the compliments. i was just getting at the fact that the time frame of your license, wether during the "easy" period or not, dont' dictate much on how you guide.
    i know some guides that passed the old licenses but are straight up jerks and horrible to work for/hunt with...so regardless of when you get a license....its a non factor. but joe was saying it could be a factor, but i'm just disagreeing is all.
    Master guide 212

Smile well now...

You are asking a good question. It depends on who you talk to. So talk to lots of folks. The #1 contributor to the legend of the great Alaskan guide was the fact that they got there first. Other factors helped such as, fewer hunters, fewer laws, current politics and very lttle accountability, at least in the earlier days. There are good guides working in Alaska. They work hard, try to obey the laws and want to give their hunter a good hunt. I hope you find one.

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    joe makes some good points except for the slam in the face to the guides that were licensed during the "mass licensing period". date someone got a license is a poor qualifier of their guiding experience/knowledge/ability to perform in the field.
    It is not a "slam", at least it shouldn't be to those that went through the process of learning some basics before being "turned loose" with clients. We don't teach ourselves how to guide any more than we "teach" ourselves how to shoot without first firmly grasping the basics. Even worse has been the fact that these guides are now in the position of signing off on the licensing of another "generation" of guides that have even a less grasp of the basics.
    Unfortunately the problem of prospective guides not learning the basics before being licensed became even worse in the early nineties, though there certainly were problems prior to that period.
    The irony is that many of those who were so vocal about the standards being too high supported the lowering of the qualifications are now on the "front line" of complaining there are just too many guides. Even more "amusing" is the fact that two of the individuals that have been in forefront of trying to improve the professional standards of the guiding industry in Alaska are the "favorites" for vilification by some on this Forum.
    Bob Fithian"s guiding school was a model that should have been used as the standard and Paul Johnson has done and is doing more to maintain a level of professionalism for the guiding industry than any individual I know of.
    Joe (Ak)

thanks for the clarification joe, if you didn't mean it as a "slam" is sure came across as one, so an explanination is welcome for sure.
    as for people doing good in this world and being chewed on for other issues...
    i bet even obama hugs his wife.

each person has charactheristics (spelling wasn't on my guide test ) that dictate who they are and how they act. in different circumstances different charachter traits come out. guide school is different than GCP. My one encounter with mr johnson was....well bad. i can't go into detail as names will be pulled from my post. but that don't make him a bad person or a black eye to the guide industry. we all do good and we all don't...but good and bad are judged by others differntly than they are judged by ourselves.
    Master guide 212