Thread: Little Susitna River tomorrow?

Default Little Susitna River tomorrow?

Anyone know of a public parking spot (free places are a bonus!), and where one can bank fish? I ask because my cousin and I stopped by
    it yesterday evening to take pictures and loved the absolutely beautiful
    view of it from the RV park there, just on the northern edge of Houston.
    So we'd like to stay in the general area, being it's so close to Wasilla and
    we don't have to drive too far.

How much lead would I use to keep my corkie/yarn rig from drifting?...And what is a good spot, so that the boats flying around the bend(s) don't come crashing into me? (Yep, saw one crazy guy who just blew by us, right alongside an exposed sandbar!)

Would I be wasting my time fishing it by foot? Should I be fishing a nearby creek? If so which one is open weekdays?

Also any good place to pull up to the river's edge with a truck to camp out? I ask because my cousin hasn't fished that river since he was a teenager, more than twenty years ago.

Um, I'm not seeing my edit button, so I'll add a new post.

I do know of the boat launch just outside of Point Mckenzie http://www.ifishalaska.com/little_susitna.html . Now that is about a 30 mile drive.

And Schrok road, from here:

http://www.outdoorsdirectory.com/boa.../little_su.htm

"Our party rendezvoused at the Schrock Road bridge over the Little Susitna, located about 10 miles outside of Wasilla...."

So should I travel ten miles from Wasilla or thirty miles? If I can access
    the river this close I'd like to find out how.

Or..... http://ww1.matsugov.us/CommunityDeve...193&Itemid=253

"LITTLE SUSITNA RIVER - CAMPGROUND
    (Houston) Mile 57.4 Parks Highway . Eighty-six (86) spaces for tents or RV's, dump station, large picnic pavilion-reservations available, trails to the river, fishing, playground equipment, restrooms, drinking water, picnic tables, fire pits, and firewood. Day use areas provide facilities and visitor amenities for daytime recreation. Overnight camping and or activities are prohibited in all of these areas.

$10.00 per vehicle per unit per night. Pavilion-$30 Dump-$5. Park opens Memorial Day weekend and closes at freeze-up in the fall. Contact the City of Houston for more information at 892-6869. "
    ---

Ok...a fifteen mile drive....Should I try here?

Walk-in King fishing on the Houston side of the little su will be slow at best this time of year. Once the Kings get that far up river they are really spread out so fishing is never "as good" on the upper river as other places.

7-10 miles downstream of Houston by boat will be starting to pick up soon.

Fishing for salmon upstream of the Parks Hwy bridge is never open so you can rule out Schrock rd.

If I were you I would go the Burma rd (pt mak) route. IMO It will be the only show in town this week.

Good luck.