Thread: DIPAC Juneau

Default DIPAC Juneau

DIPAC was slow on friday, also a bunch of crazys there too! lol

People were fighting over there fishing spots. My son was like Dad can we just go! I would like to find another place to take him that's not so crowded. Any ideas. Do the tides play a part in how well the Kings are biting at DIPAC or is that mainly for other places. Another question...is there really a good or bad spot on the dock? People seem to head to the right side al the time. (right side as your walking down) Can you do anygood from the shore there?

We haven't caught one yet but we have helped two people so far that didn't have a net bring there's in.

I've never fished kings before (man i love alaska) so the polls we had just weren't up to snuff so we went and bought him a new poll and I put 25 lb test on it. Is that strong enough. We're used to fishing Steelhead, trout, bass and good ol catfish.

Fish Creek/Pond should be heating up soon. As far as the right side of the dock, there isn't really any difference in the amount of fish you can catch. The reason most are on that side is because the wind usually blows that direction and it's just easier to cast with the wind. 25lb line is sufficient, BUT 50lb would be better for kings. It is not uncommon to catch a 40+ pounder. It would break my heart if I finally hooked into that monster and l lost it because the line broke.

Quote Originally Posted by SemperFi View Post
    Fish Creek/Pond should be heating up soon. As far as the right side of the dock, there isn't really any difference in the amount of fish you can catch. The reason most are on that side is because the wind usually blows that direction and it's just easier to cast with the wind. 25lb line is sufficient, BUT 50lb would be better for kings. It is not uncommon to catch a 40+ pounder. It would break my heart if I finally hooked into that monster and l lost it because the line broke.

Yeah it would suck to hook a hog and then lose it. I need to find a new net today, went to Freddies yesterday and they were all out, guess i'll try western auto. Fish gaff hooks seem useless for there.

I don't normally fish off the dock.

From the action I've seen this year (I work nearby) higher tides are the best time to fish. An hour or two before high and up to high tide brings the kings in close.

Friday was slow during the lunch hour, but I know at least 4 were caught between 10 am and noon based on what I saw on stringers.

I run 50# power pro when casting lures or spinners. I have 65# PP on my snagger.

There was one hell of a bite at the head of Fish Creek at the green channel marker Sat morning at low tide. I made it there at 8:45. Bit ended around 8:00. Everyone we saw had 1 or 2 on a stringer. Some boats caught MANY more. Couldn't buy a fish myself.

Almost went to the pond yesterday.

A good place would be the where Fish Cr. dumps into Fritz Cove. This week at low (minus) tide. I've watched guys with fly rods hook up.

If you just want any old king, try Twin Lakes with your boys.

Try False Outter Point, on North Douglas. But, when it heats up out there, it can be shoulder-to-shoulder.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruger01 View Post
    Try False Outter Point, on North Douglas. But, when it heats up out there, it can be shoulder-to-shoulder.
    Is False Outer past the pond? I have never been down there.

There is some Kings in the pond at Fish Creek finally...was way windy down there today and I was flinging flies, but I saw 2 tail....So they are there..

Quote Originally Posted by SemperFi View Post
    Is False Outer past the pond? I have never been down there.

Yes, you stay on the road and go past the boat launch. It's about 2 miles past boat launch. There is a turn out, and you'll probably see other people there. There's some pretty big kings that come out of there.

Quote Originally Posted by OneLunG View Post
    There is some Kings in the pond at Fish Creek finally...was way windy down there today and I was flinging flies, but I saw 2 tail....So they are there..

Were you fishing for kings at fish creek pond? If so, what flies were you using?

I used to fish the creek quite a bit for dollies, but never much luck.

Just using Party-girls in the pond....