Thread: Vaccum Sealers?

Default Vaccum Sealers?

What do you all reccomend? I had a friend tell me to buy the best one I can afford. Advise? Brands? Thanks.

Brett

Default Cableas units pass the test

Cabelas has a twin motor unit that lasts and does a great job. Other than that there is a unit called the maxima thats great. If cost is not a factor - see Alaska Butcher Supply for a modest commercial unit.
    How stupid is it to be wasting tons of salmon and halibut as bycatch in the Bering Sea and then have the coastal villages hollaring they have no food? It's got to stop!

Thanks. I searched and got a good idea from previous discussions. I think I'll stop in there tomorrow and speak with them.

Brett

I have a little Foodsaver vacuum sealer that I use. My only complaint is that after you seal up a whole bunch of bags at once, sometimes it quits working for a little bit, gets overheated or something. But it always turns back on when it's ready.

Foodsaver Gamesaver Turbo II for me. Works like a champ, but you MUST follow the directions on timing. Pace yourself and do not try to batch process your sealing. You must allow 1-2 minutes between sealing cycles. Failure to do so it what destroys Foodsaver brand units. If you keep it clean and don't try to go too fast, a Foodsaver will work great for average household use and they are under $200. Those great commercial units in Cabela's and such run $1500. Unless you are a commercial processor, that's just a waste of money IMHO.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Brett Adam Barringer View Post
    What do you all reccomend? I had a friend tell me to buy the best one I can afford. Advise? Brands? Thanks.

Brett

listen to your friend!!...

over the years i have burned up many sealers and grinders.... though each did the job i asked it to at the time... it was not much good for following seasons. you get what you pay for.

Cabela sells a great sealer for about 400 bucks. last year it did... 2 moose. 3 bears, 3 bou, about 100 chickens....and to many fish.....

it did the same the year before too....
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

FoodSaver v2440. 70ish reds later, it just doesnt suck like it should. Sealer overheats so a solid 60second cool down is required after 3 bags. Not having much success in convincing the woman we should spend $400 on a good foodsaver.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

I will have to find the brand, but my friend just let me use his commercial grade vacume sealer. He said it cost him 1800 . However, after having used the Foodsaver brand over the years I was MAJOROLY impressed. He also had the 8mil thick bags of various sizes. We when through 60 reds and about 100lbs of halibut fillets in about an hour and half last week. That machine ROX!!!

I will saving up for one like it myself.

Bottom line, if you want the best, you will have to pay for it.

Quote Originally Posted by FairbanksBowHunter View Post
    I will have to find the brand, but my friend just let me use his commercial grade vacume sealer. He said it cost him 1800 . However, after having used the Foodsaver brand over the years I was MAJOROLY impressed. He also had the 8mil thick bags of various sizes. We when through 60 reds and about 100lbs of halibut fillets in about an hour and half last week. That machine ROX!!!

I will saving up for one like it myself.

Bottom line, if you want the best, you will have to pay for it.

Vacmaster, I have the SVP-15 chamber type. It does rock, very hard to beat, and yes, it does cost $1800.

Default IMO

Bought a Vacmaster VP 210 paid $950 at Sams. Alaska butcher supplies is about $1100. Before you say that spending the money is not worth it make sure you use one, its a low end chamber model but I did 30 reds and I will not be using the old food saver ever again. Wish I had it before the halibut charter I went on in July and paid $300 on processing. Plus my 10 year old is fascinated that he can vac save bags of water. Buy lots of bags you will be surprised what gets vacuumed saved by the family.

Thumbs up Vp 210

Just got a new vp 210 bagged 100 # of hailbut as fast as my wife could butcher so far I like it. She says next time I butcher. Had to get the bugs out and ajust the settings you know. Bought it online here.
    http://www.webstaurantstore.com/sub6...-wrapping.html

Default vaccum sealers

I bought a mv31 absoutly love it .granted it is spendy about $2,000.I will never have to buy a nother machine though .Go to Ak Butcher Supply over on Mt View drive there in Anchorage .They have a verry wide selection of machines were you can compare all in one spot.They have machines were you can rent one for the weekend or however long needed .Very good way to tell if that machine would work for you.

Cabelas CG-15. Enough said.

I must have been the lucky one that got an old Foodsaver that just won't die. It does overheat sometimes and you have to let it cool off. A few buddies and I have talked about going in on a commercial grade sealer. All of us fish, dipnet, hunt moose, ducks, deer, bear and the occasional sheep, so we think its worth it. The one thing I like about the commercial sealers is you don't have to dry anything, just put it in and seal.
    I have better luck with the Foodsaver when I wrap with plastic wrap or use a cheap storage bag left open and then put it inside the vacuum bag.