Thread: Butts In Valdez Area????

Question Butts In Valdez Area????

Well this will be the second season I have fished Valdez. I have had luck with the rock fish but the Halibut is another story! I know a few guys have gave me the mouth of Jack's bay stories of the elusive flat fish. I am heading down there again for the first time this season, I will be there from 7-2 til 7-6. I must find them! So where can I try? I love that place, and I have had excellent luck with the shrimp, salmon, and rock fish. Now if I can just find the flat fish!
    I am somewhat limited to my trips though. I am running a 22' Jet boat, I feel comfortable running to Bligh Island. I dont want to go any further than that. Is there any Butts around Busby or Bligh?
    I sure would appreciate any help you guys can give me! I really would like to show my family some fish this year!

Default ***** a n y o n e *****

Well someone out there mind sharing a lil info? Come on, I really would appreciate it. No Valdez locals around here willing to help me out a lilttle bit!

I have heard the entrance to Galena Bay holds some. We took the boat back in there exploring last year and saw lots of structure on the bottom, it was showing the depths going up and down quite a bit. I would try there first, if you feel like going farther out with your jet unit, go out by Bligh Island and Reef, I've heard of people catching some out there also. I'm hoping to be down there around the same time as you, and I'm gonna explore these different areas as well, maybe Dave can chime in here.

Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

Fish the pinnicles and not the flats or troughs. Check a couple of the high spots on the east and south end of Bligh Island. Also the large bay east of Bligh Island/the protected short cut to Bligh reef go east(left) before entering the open water. Find the high spots again. Also keep an eye peeled for sharks boiling the surface. I struggled my 1st year in Valdez for halibut and fished everyone of the "hotspots" with no luck. I then started prospecting and doing alot of drift fishing and developed my patterns for finding fish.

I had a boat a few years ago and went out to Jacks and galena bay. Did well at both spots right at the mouth of the bay. I fished right where it drops of quickly from shallow to very deep.

Thanks for the help so far. I have a couple spots to target now. Wish there was more spots that are accessable to me to catch some halibut. Anyone else out there? Wish to share?

Default Fish

I did good in Galena bay they other day, 140' deep. It seems that what worked best for me was moving around alot, 10 minutes here, if nothing hit or if something too small for the hook kept hitting I would move, or drift if there is a breeze. I dont know if its right but I'm not a very patient bottom fisher