Thread: Dip nets....

Default Dip nets....

Looking to find the BEST DipNet for the Kenai to use from the bank and from a boat. I have seen quite a few different styles and I would like to get the most effective. I will be dipnetting from both bank and boat.

Length of poles? size of hoop? best handle?

Please attach a photo or a link to which you prefer. Thanx in advance

Thumbs up research the thyreads. Just do a quick search

We have beat this about a lot. Look at the past threads and you will see what I am talking about. Good luck

Default Hard to find that PERFECT net

You will find that a net that is perfect for dipping out of a boat most likely will not be the same for dipping from shore. Shore nets are mostly very long and can have more weight - where one used out of the boat needs to be light weight and possibly with a much shorter handle. The best deal I have seen lately is the units that COSTCO is selling now for a great price.
    How stupid is it to be wasting tons of salmon and halibut as bycatch in the Bering Sea and then have the coastal villages hollaring they have no food? It's got to stop!

This guy is very legit, bought two from him a couple of weeks ago and he cut me a good deal for buying more than one. Its worth the $25 more than you would spend at 3 bears or costco to buy from this guy.

http://anchorage.craigslist.org/spo/1215898039.html

Default Dip net

I agree, the guy in birchwood has the best nets...he's been building them for years and he has some good tips for beginers. Check him out in the craigslist link in the post below.

Thumbs up Ron's custom dipnets!!

If you don't have his #, here it is..688-1271

Mike's WeldingMile 82 Sterling Hwy
    Sterling, AK 99672

(907) 262-1323‎

I am not afiliated with them, but their 5' hoop with a 20' handel is the best dip net for bank fishing that I have seen.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

I've got one of Mike's as well, with the 20' handle. It works. Can't say it's better then the other guy's nets because I've never used them, but it does the trick.

One more vote for Ron Fuller's nets, was very happy with the two I bought last year.

Default Another good dipnet

Pro Apollo seems to be a very good net also. It has an inner ring that the net is attached to. Helps prevent chafing.

Quote Originally Posted by garnede View Post
    Mike's WeldingMile 82 Sterling Hwy
    Sterling, AK 99672
    Quote Originally Posted by coho slayer View Post
    I've got one of Mike's as well, with the 20' handle. It works.
    I agree, I had one of mikes nets for 3 years, now its in someone elses possesion as it was stolen out of the bed of my truck two years ago on the Penninsula. But this year i just decided to head down theier prepared instead of buying one down there. Both are excellent options and a great way to support local buisnesses.

Default Mikes nets

Mike nets are the best you can get!
    The way the hoop is constructed the edges are tapered waaaaay less drag.
    A friend of mine bought one made fron 1"alum. tube and without a similiar net on the other side of his boat you have to have his outboard turned way over to one side to keep it going straight.
    From a boat I definetly prefer a 4' hoop and short handle. From shore a longer handle is better and a bigger hoop can be the ticket.
    Definetly a different net for each. Figure out how you are going to dip and buy the right net from Mike.
    CHRIS

Smile

Thanx for everyones imputs...