Thread: Upper Kenai Report 6-21

Default Upper Kenai Report 6-21

Floated the Bridge to jims yesterday with sam, jose, meghan in thier boat and June and I in our raft. The upper slow water produced 6 bows in the 16 inch range all caught on flesh flies. Below the princess rapids we picked up a few more on beads and smolt patterns and that worked all the way down to the PHYSCO zone. Drifted past the russian river and Oh my god. In my 30 years up here I have never seen so many people. The boats and walk in's lining the river all the way to mile 57 hole. I by passed all them and got to the bear braids/whirlpool hole and found it empty. We parked on the island and put on peaches and cream 6mm beads. caught a half dozen fish in the range of 14 to 20 inches. Hung out there untill around 930 pm and let all the boats go by us as we knew the landing would be nuts. 12 hours on the water and we had a blast. Lots of Reds down the powerline and all the way to windy corner too. Pics to come after I download them since I just got in
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Default What a weekend!

Wow Chuck im glad we floated saturday man! Twas a bummer we didnt get to drink around the fire but we'll have many more weekends for that. Just wanted to let you know i have your camera and when we got off the river today we stopped by but you had already left. We got our limit of reds saturday and our limit of reds on sunday. The spot we camped out at had no pressure and it was a giant pool of fish. 6 Bows from cooper down and We were even catching reds while floating doing the flip and strip. Sure beats landing your fish on shore! Chuck ill get ahold of you sometime this week man, once again Good fishing.

Jose
    Go Fish

Quote Originally Posted by liv2fish87 View Post
    Just wanted to let you know i have your camera and when we got off the river today we stopped by but you had already left.

Jose
    I guess that means it's gonna be a while before we get to see the pics?

Wow you did much better than us. We floated down tonight and only hooked up with one 17 inch Bow. But what a fish.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Sounds like an awesome float! Can't wait to see the pics!

Jose has the wifes camera I have mine so Ill be posting later today

Gee Chuck
    It's a shame that I am missing mass of humanity clogging up the river.
    There's a reason I don't come there until after Labour Day.
    The crowds here are terrible too!!!!!
    Yesterday I finally got out in the boat and during my day of laker trolling I had to alter my trolling line twice due to other boats on the lake.
    TWICE, UNBELIEVABLE!!!

The upper from the bridge was great but like I said. I have never seen a crowd like that in my 30 years up here
    Last edited by Daveinthebush; 06-22-2009 at 09:15. Reason: Inappropriate comment

A little rainbow fun on video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EHL4f73e7A

Default Chuck my man...

You sir, are inebriated You and the captain, Make it happen!

I did like that reel ALOT the drag certainly was butter. I wish now i was a little more focused on bows... after cooper to sportsmans and already having 7 bows in my boat... I saw the masses of people and they were just hoarding reds into the center. Ive never seen First run reds that look like second run reds! Like I said, we were doing that flip and strip from the boat and tagging up left and right... Fighting a red on the float is a rush for sure, never done it while drifting... even the guy on the oares has to fight the fish! Netting proved to be easier to!

It all was entertaining though, I love seeing the guys with their baitcasters hook into a red then just turn around and run for shore all to get their fish on the beach, get the hook out and it flops back in the water!!!!!

Not to mention boat launch entertainment!! I saw people trying to land their boat, but running into a trailer that was pulling out!!! A guy Make his wife and daughter jumped out in atleast 6-7ft of water to try and land him, then getting mad at them for not completing the task as he floated down towards the canyon! I started helping people, i wasn't just standing by, but i did get some footage of the madness that i will post

Jose
    Go Fish