Thread: Moose on Main post Ft. Wainwright

Default Moose on Main post Ft. Wainwright

Has anyone had luck on main post Ft. Wainwright for Bull Moose? I have limited time when i get back from deployment. I am IBEP certified I just want to know if anyone has seen any bulls. Thanks for the help.

Our 1SG has arrowed two decent moose behind the NBC chamber. I haven't seen any this year, but I haven't been looking for them as much. There was a little bull I used to see in the canal near the Badger Gate last year, but I think someone got him.

Default hope not

Well i sure hope no one shot that guy since that is a no hunting area over that way if i remember right. My buddy shot a fork over there by the water treatment area in 03 but other then that i havent heard of much some cows i know of.

If I recall correctly, one of my friends saw someone dressing the moose outside the gate, which would be a legal location with a bow.

On some military maps it's a no hunting zone, I believe the civilian version has it open for hunting. There are many instances military and civilian maps don't quite jive. There are plenty of long time residents that have shed some emotion about this subject.

I have shot a bull and had more then a few close encounters on base. A buddy has shot two and I know of a few other friends that have pulled moose off of base. Quite frankly it's an extremely LOOOW number compared to the amount of hours we put in per season per person per bull. I have hunted base for almost 15 years, though less and less due to the amount of 4 wheeln slobs (getting tired of it!).

We have noticed the number of animals sloowly declining over the years. There used to be a TON of cows and a number of bulls. Now if we get on a couple animals over the course of a month we're doing good anymore. Basically we glass and go. It's worked well for us. Calling has worked when I FIRST arrived..however more often then not now adays they run at the first call you make, grunt, cow call or raking. They are hunted hard, pushed around a ton by hunters. hikers, dogs, 4wheelin slobs and people just screwing off.

Not trying to paint a bleak picture..you coudl go in there and shoot a bull right out the gate...but dont expect it...it's a fun place to hunt close to home for those of us to **** poor to spend 3000 bucks for a good fly out, or a boat!

have fun and I'll likely see ya out there.

Default FWA

There are still a few around but you just don't see them like you use to. Try out around YTA. There are still a few moose left in there. Just have to check to see which training areas are open. If you don't want to hunt on post, head north out of town and run up to 28 mile on the west side of the road and head down into the bottoms. I have seen a few in there in the past as well. Good luck.

AD

Quote Originally Posted by TradBow View Post
    I have shot a bull and had more then a few close encounters on base. A buddy has shot two and I know of a few other friends that have pulled moose off of base. Quite frankly it's an extremely LOOOW number compared to the amount of hours we put in per season per person per bull. I have hunted base for almost 15 years, though less and less due to the amount of 4 wheeln slobs (getting tired of it!).

We have noticed the number of animals sloowly declining over the years. There used to be a TON of cows and a number of bulls. Now if we get on a couple animals over the course of a month we're doing good anymore. Basically we glass and go. It's worked well for us. Calling has worked when I FIRST arrived..however more often then not now adays they run at the first call you make, grunt, cow call or raking. They are hunted hard, pushed around a ton by hunters. hikers, dogs, 4wheelin slobs and people just screwing off.

Not trying to paint a bleak picture..you coudl go in there and shoot a bull right out the gate...but dont expect it...it's a fun place to hunt close to home for those of us to **** poor to spend 3000 bucks for a good fly out, or a boat!

have fun and I'll likely see ya out there.
    Yep everyone on a wheeler is a slob. Let me guess , the only non slobs out there are traditional archers.

Default Not going to tell :)

Only kidding.

I used to live in the A-Frames out there until about 3 yrs ago. I loved living there and wish I still did. I shot a bull very near the intersection of the road that cuts off River road to the ski hill. a 4 pointer that had been seeing all that summer along the road. I had him marked on a map every time I saw him , and come opening morning he bcame my first big game kill.

There is a LOT of country that opens up off the back side of birch hill toward CHSR. Get out scout around, look for habitat and sign, and you just may be surprised. I have had moose come within 30 feet or less after being pushed by others in the field and the moose either never knew I was there, or didnt care.

WHile this wont work for this year, I would also suggest making sure to ALWAYS put in for the FMA cow tag.

Good luck and thanks for serving!