Thread: 11:30 PM Friday the 19th

Default 11:30 PM Friday the 19th

Coming back late from a trip to Montague, first saw an aircraft carrier in the rear view mirror coming out of cape puget, we were at about Cape Fairfield. They crossed infront of us right in front of Cape Reserection. Wow
    Attached Images Attached Images

They are an awesome ship to say the least!

Default No idea

Most of my water time is river time. I have no idea how fast they go, or how close you are allowed to get to them. Must be pretty cool to see something that big moving along. In comparison, how fast were you traveling?

We were down to about 20 mph ... 5 foot swells with 3 foot chop on top, safe but uncomfortable.

That is certainly strange... wonder if N Korea might be the reason?

I was thinking the same thing. Back in Sept 1986 the USS Constellation made a port call here for 4-5 days. Me and a buddy of mine took our Jetski's out to greet it by jumping it's wake (20 feet plus - BIG AIR) as it came to the port of Anch and then after it anchored up, we were jumping the wakes of the shorecraft as they went to the port and transported the City dignitaries out to tour the carrier. The helo pilots who were ferrying garbage (I assume) in slings under their helo's to one of the bases here and then carry drums of something (lubricating or other fluids) in the slings back out to the carrier would fly right down at sea level and kinda play with us. We got to ride around the hull while touching it and spin circles around the anchor chain where it went into the water. We were asked to pull up next to the ship and got to talk to many of the sailors. Before the ship came in, the newspaper said there was a one mile (if I remember right) barrier around the ship (to planes and boats) and if anyone came inside that they were open to be fired upon. Back then we figured two little Jetski's weren't a threat and decided to go from furthest away from the ship and gradually work our way closer and see what happened. The closer we got the more applause we heard/saw. The size of those carriers is beyond belief!! At the waterline next to the hull, you look up and the deck looks like it's 40-50 feet further out and then the tail ends of the jet fighters are extended out some more past the edge of the flight deck. We would stop our Jetski's at the bow, kill the engines and float the length of the ship to talk to all the sailors who were within talking distance. Most of them wanted to know about Alaska and specifically Anchorage. A few wanted alcohol and/or weed. To this day that was one of the coolest things I have ever experienced. I know today that no one would ever get away with aproaching a US Naval vessel with even a rubber ducky innertube and not get blown outta the water and rightfully so (after the USS Cole) and with all the pirates out there but that day, for me, was a highlight I will never forget.

Quote Originally Posted by AkRascal View Post

Quote Originally Posted by AkRascal View Post
    I'm guessing it's part of the Northern Edge 2009?
    http://www.elmendorf.af.mil/alcom/no...edge/index.asp

Smile Big and bad...

The big carriers are floating cities that can reach out and "touch something". The Constellation, or "Connie", saw her many times during my 3 cruises at Yankee Station in the Tonkin Gulf, 1969-73. A most impressive ship that has some serious fire power.

I am happy to know that the US Navy is in the hood. We have US Army & US Air Force in the Anchorage & Fairbanks area. I am in Seward and can live with the Navy near by