Thread: Pony Cove Area - Protected Anchorage

Smile Pony Cove Area - Protected Anchorage

Looking for info on a good overnight anchoring spot close to Pony Cove. I would also be interested in any good beach camping spots for a nice shore lunch.
    Happy Boating -
    How stupid is it to be wasting tons of salmon and halibut as bycatch in the Bering Sea and then have the coastal villages hollaring they have no food? It's got to stop!

Quote Originally Posted by akfishnut View Post
    Looking for info on a good overnight anchoring spot close to Pony Cove. I would also be interested in any good beach camping spots for a nice shore lunch.
    Happy Boating -
    Agnes Cove is probably your best bet for an anchorage, but theres not much for a beach there.

Red face Day good, night bad

Last year we anchored right smack in the middle of the action in Pony cove with about forty other boats doing the same, in about 150ft of water. I have an anchor that is WAY over kill for my boat, plus a ton of chain, I anchor all over in all kinds of SAFE places and sleep like a baby.
    But, no way would I consider spending the night out in Pony cove or anywhere near there. Not exposed like that without a protected cove to hide in, that's big water, big rocks, big swells, and big exposure to anything! I have seen whales breech there with no regard for where they are going, I've heard stories of Orca's coming in there getting strange with the boats. That is the one place NOT to be if you wake up to a small craft advisory! Call me overly cautious, but I only anchor overnight somewhere that is safe during a storm.

Agnes is the only decent anchorage in that area. No decent beaches anywhere for a picnic anywhere nearby---it's one rugged, exposed piece of coastline out there!

Quote Originally Posted by akfishnut View Post
    Happy Boating -
    The closest beach for camping & picnic fun might be Sunny Cove.

Try Bulldog Cove, still a little exposed but I have spent the night in there before