Thread: Footwear question

Default Footwear question

Going out of Kotzebue in Sept. for caribou. This will be my first time up there so I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations on boots they've had good luck with. I was thinking of going with something thats gortex and waterproof but wasn't sure about insulated or not.

Any insight is appreciated, also if anyone has any suggestions on places to read up more for the hunt let me know. Thanks in advance.

I always wear insulated gortex boots. The weather can change quickly and it is always nice to have warm boots. I also wear leg gators that are gortex. Outdoor Research makes a good pair of gators. Also buy the boots now and wear them to break them in, the terrain can be soft and your boots can be your worst enemy if not broke in. Hope this helps with you decision. Robbie.

I forgot to tell ya I wear an all leather insulated gortex boot, they last many years, don't tear and are easy to maintain with shoe polish, Danners or Georga Boot. Have both and it is 50/50, like them both.

thanks for the advice, I was wondering about uninsulated because Im going to be wearing wool socks and liners so I wasnt sure if that was enough. also are you wearing the gators to keep your legs dry? Ive got HH Impertech bibs/jacket I was going to wear when it rains. Thanks again for the help.

I also wear insulated gortex leather boots and gaiters. I wear the gaiters to make small stream crossings easier as you can cross water that is actually deeper than the boots are tall by virtue of constantly moving, stand in once place too long and the water has time to get up under the gaiter and thus into the boots.

Gaiters also help keep the bugs from getting up pant legs and making a meal of the legs and add to keeping the feet warmer.

As for the gaiters I like to wear the gortex/micro-fleece covered ones as it makes them much quieter.

I do not worry much about my feet getting hot inulated boots vs. non-insulated as my feet will get hot regardless. I would rather have the insulation for those cold days.

Don't for get to bring a newspaper to stuff in your boots over night to draw out the moisture, dry boots in the morning sure is nice.

I love my Meindls, Canadian model. They are kind of tall which I like for xtra support and water protection when crossing streams. They are very rugged, comfortable, waterproof, long lasting, etc. They receive high praise by all and will probably be the only leather hunting boot I will buy. Good luck.

Check em out:
    http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...set=ISO-8859-1

thanks again for the responses.

Default Depending of where you hunt.

I hunt in Chest Waders Out Of Kotzebue. I hunt near a river and it is shallow enough to cross back and forth in the chest waders.
    I use Cabelas Guide Model Waders and Back country wading shoes.

Man...I have to get new boots this year also. I'd order but I'd rather try them on first. Any suggestions for local buy? What and where.
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel

Default Boot Country On Old Seward

They have several LOWA brand boots. They are awesome. Boot Country beats most prices you can find on the internet. I wear a 15 and I was able to purchase mine off the shelf

I shot some great footage in PWS, two solid black bear kills. One is 6'10" and 20" plus change skull and those awesome PWS Spring Coats

I shot some great footage in PWS, two solid black bear kills. One is 6'10" and 20" plus change skull and those awesome PWS Spring Coats
    You're killing me here (Brian...that's not aimed at you)

PS...tks for the boot tip. Will head there tomorrow.

LOWA
    http://www.lowaboots.com/catalog/Sho...egory=2&Type=M

WoW! Those some expensive boots. Anyone have experience or recommendations here for LOWA?

i have the Lowa GTX Extreme Hunter (sheephunter boots). haven't logged a lot of miles in them, but they are comfortable so far. they provide a lot of lateral support. they are warm (have primaloft) and waterproof. i wear a 9.5 W and i went with a 10 W. I had to stretch out one boot for more width and that seemed to have worked. i treat them with nikwax aqueous wax for the nubuck leather, not for waterproofing, but for leather treatment to make the nubuck last longer.

Kenetrek is another company to look at. the mountain extreme boots are very comfortable, but their lateral stability isn't that great, but others think it is.

those cabela candadians are some tall boots, fyi. very stiff off the get go, but i am sure they break in and loosen up well.

use the search engine here for boots, in this forum and the gear forum, a lot of good information that has been discussed.

Default Lowa

Worth the money. Enough said!
    Louis

Lowa's are definitely good boots...and worth the bucks if you're going sheep hunting.
    Except for sheep and goat, I wear Lacrosse Burly's. Ankle fit so they're don't slip around; don't have to worry about getting wet, they're comfortable as can be. I highly recommend. Save the hiking boots for the mountain stuff.

I am with AK DUX. For wet swamp I go with the Lacrosse rubber knee boots. For everything else it is the LOWA GTX. It is by far worth every penny! Getting a second pair because I am worried they will stop production by the time I need another pair.

Not fan of the Lowas. I know they get rave reviews by hunters but they are soft. I feel they have some last issues and will take a good amount of after market leather work to get them to fit right. To me, they were short lasted meaning they did not break where my feet did for a given size and I had to size up.

Most insulated boots are not extra insulated underfoot. This is where the cold sinks heat from your feet, the sole area. Insulation up around the foot helps but is not where feet get cold. Most knock off boots have lots of foam and such in the upper which adds some insulation R value even though they are not rated insulated. I have worn both un and insulated and there is no difference until you get into boots that actually have some sort of insulation between the the foot and ground. Another proponent of warm feet is the boot must fit your foot. An ill fitting boot will restrict blood flow creating cold toes.

Here is the boot I wear. Does not cost much more than the Lowa but will out last it and out perform it in Alaska plus is warmer. I have worn both. The thick leather will help protect the feet from rocks and scree unlike the Lowa. I have done 15 miles is a day in August, pounded up scree for hours in September without an single hot spot and even wore them way below zero in January.

http://www.sportiva.com/products/prod/280

I wear this boot for light weight mountain use like up high sheep hunting. I have worn this boot down to 0 with warm toes. I like this boot it is not as tuff as the Nepal.

http://www.sportiva.com/products/prod/559

Goretex and coated gaiters are not all that good. These will sweat out the leg and foot. I wear a small anklet gaiter made from uncoated stretchy nylon. All the gaiter needs to do is keep stuff out from the top of the boot. I have some customer made pants that had the stretchy gaitor sewn in the leg.

Alaskan hunters need a good pair of waders for hunting too.

If you are wearing liner and thick sock, you might want to use better socks. Todays socks rarely require a liner. 100% wool is not my choice as they will not dry easy in the field. A 50/50 medium weight sock is what I prefer; cushioning and comfort of wool with fast dry and moisture control of synthetic.

Default Hmmm

I wear this boot for light weight mountain use like up high sheep hunting. I have worn this boot down to 0 with warm toes. I like this boot it is not as tuff as the Nepal.

http://www.sportiva.com/products/prod/559
    Looks like they're made for glacier hiking...you really like them eh?

What's the break in time like? I like that they are under 4lbs...

Pricy too. Guessing they don't come in camo

Quote Originally Posted by tdelarm View Post
    Looks like they're made for glacier hiking...you really like them eh?

What's the break in time like? I like that they are under 4lbs...

Pricy too. Guessing they don't come in camo

Yep, like them a lot. Cost is subjective, I would rather spend high coin and have boots last than buy several pairs over the years.

Proper fitting boots with proper socks require no break-in other than working the leather. For the last 15 years, once I got the boot worked for my feet and got my socks down, I never spent a single mile breaking them in and never had an issue with blisters. Most users just buy and try to fix by breaking them in, most boot sellers have no idea how to get the proper boot on the foot. Yes, I have had blisters so I junked them boots. #2 reason for break-in and blisters is socks. Just hard to get this idea. #3 is foot control by a footbed that works. #4 is learn how to walk in the mountains.

Quote Originally Posted by 45.308 View Post
    Yep, like them a lot. Cost is subjective, I would rather spend high coin and have boots last than buy several pairs over the years.

Proper fitting boots with proper socks require no break-in other than working the leather. For the last 15 years, once I got the boot worked for my feet and got my socks down, I never spent a single mile breaking them in and never had an issue with blisters. Most users just buy and try to fix by breaking them in, most boot sellers have no idea how to get the proper boot on the foot. Yes, I have had blisters so I junked them boots. #2 reason for break-in and blisters is socks. Just hard to get this idea. #3 is foot control by a footbed that works. #4 is learn how to walk in the mountains.
    Not to talk trash but I WAS a mountaineer instructor, and spent 6 months a year for four years in the bush. Break them in no matter what boot you buy.... period. Take them to work, what ever, but blisters it is not due to socks, it is due to the boot rubbing against those sox in non broke in boots..... Unless you wear a two sock system.. then it is just a fit issue..... A quick way to break in ANY boot is to shower with them on Friday and then wear them all night and all weekend wherever you go..change sox constantly to dry the boot out, but it will be worth it to you in the long run... no matter what the material or brand of boot. I walked 118 miles in 4 days from black rapids to chena lakes without one blister along the pipeline.
    Please don't take this as arragant, take whatever advice you take, you are the one that has to wear the footwear, and many other opinions work but this has worked for me when buying new boots EVERY time no matter what.