Thread: Need a "catching" hole now for kid!

Default Need a "catching" hole now for kid!

My daughter (6) wants to take me fishing for dad's day so Montana Kings are out. She/I have to catch something no matter how small to peak her interest, where can I go? Grayling, trout, anything.

Would a half day halibut charter for chickens be out of the question? How about reds at the Russian?
    If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction.
    Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Default located

Quote Originally Posted by dbeast71 View Post
    My daughter (6) wants to take me fishing for dad's day so Montana Kings are out. She/I have to catch something no matter how small to peak her interest, where can I go? Grayling, trout, anything.
    It would help to know where you are located. Anchorage area lakes have been producing ok for trout. There are several lakes and streams for trout in the valley too.

Since you said this is for dad's day, I assume you want to fish today? Go out to Little Campbell Lake, otherwise known as Campbell Point Lake. It is just inside the entrance to Kincaid Park. You'll see a sign that points to the right after passing by the airport and entering the woods. I've never fished it in the summer, but it can be crazy productive when ice fishing, so I imagine the same should hold true in the summer. Cast some bobbers and cocktail shrimp out there - you should find success with little 8-12" stocked fish.

My bad, Anchorage. As far as the valley is cool but she's a little new to be salmon or but fishing yet.

I took my 8 year old to Delong lake over off Jewel lake road and raspberry about two weeks ago. Lots of trout over there. My son hooked up to bunch using a nyph fly. He's been hooked to fishing ever since.

Sounds like a winner. Were you fly fishing or just hanging the fly with a bobber? I was thinking salmon eggs.

Quote Originally Posted by dbeast71 View Post
    Sounds like a winner. Were you fly fishing or just hanging the fly with a bobber? I was thinking salmon eggs.
    I was fly fishing and he had a tiny spinning rod with a fly and a bobber

Default So how was it

Did you get the kid hooked for life