Thread: Zodiac Questions

Default Zodiac Questions

Hello all. Does anyone know the lifespan of a Zodiac inflatable boat up here? It seems there are a bunch for sale at reasonable prices, but they are older, late 80s to early 90s. I appreciate any help you choose to give.

Thanks,
    Moose44

Default I got a 96

I have a 96 that i bought, there is some sun damage but not to bad, there are products you can buy to restore them to like new condition at a reasonable price.
    My boat has some flaking but i bought some Hapalon and am going to patch right over it.
    I think if you take care of things and dont neglect them they will last a long time.
    I could send you the links for restoring inflatables or just google it and tuff coat will be right there.

The lifespan of an inflatable is entirely dependent on the care or mistreatment it endures.

I own a zodiak and have owned an avon and have no regrets toward either.

Store them properly and they should last a very long time.

One way to minimize pinholes is to NOT STEP on the tubes and always be aware of sharp objects such a fish hooks.

As stated earlier, proper care is vital to longevity, but my buddy had a 1984 Zodiak Grand-Raid MkIII and he showed it NO love what-so-ever. Finally sold it in 2004 for $3K with motor and trailer. It would at least still hold air overnight without needing to be topped off.

Default Zodiac questions

Thanks for the help.

I had an 89 Zodiac I sold a year or two ago. Had a few patches, but the tubes and transom were in great shape. It was stored indoors in the winter and I usually kept it covered with a tarp in the summer.

Thumbs up I have an 85 model

It works great. I just resealed all the wood. This website has good stuff to restore with. I was told that the same products are sold under west marines name also. http://www.inlandmarine.us/ Hillbilly

Default 85 model

I just picked up an '85 MKII 15.5 footer....

Do you treat the rubber in these with anything special or just keep it clean with soap and water?

This boat has been well taken care of - not really the boat I really want, but it will get us out on the water for sure.

Default 12' 83 Mark II

I picked it up this spring for a bear hunt on the islands. Had I not ordered a new one I would have just kept this one. It is a little ruff looking but still in very good condition. You can buy the patching material at Marita Sea and Ski to do any patch work.

The trick to keeping these in perfect condition is "303 Aerospace" product. West Marine has it but its not cheap. I think I paid about $78 for a gal. but wow, you want to talk about bringing it back to near new condition... Good for anything rubber or your car dash etc. Incredible stuff.

Good luck.
    Tony

I second 303. If you own an infatable boat and don't have a bottle of 303 around, somethings not right. It is THE thing to use to protect and restore.

Default 303

I will have to get some of the 303 Aerospace - is it a spray on wipe off type of application (guess I will search the www)...

Mine is a 85 MKIII Grand Raid.

I am building a rod holder that will mount where the beach rails go to hold the rods so the dog doesn't break them...it is a bit beefy and may need to be changed to aluminum instead of the 1.5" steel tubing I am now using..but it is looking like I will be able to put 4 rods and the fishing net and gaff on it for while on the move. Also bought the scotty shrimp pot adapter for the rod holder - guess I will see if that is too much strain on the transom....

Any other storage ideas for these little boats? I am going to have to get back to my backpacking mindframe for this boat.....

I told the wife that I just saved us $35K by purchasing this boat.

Wink spray bottle

It comes in 2 sizes of spray bottles, but then you can get the gal. I would recommend the gal, but then you'll need a spray bottle to put it in. Once you use it, you'll never look back. The trick is to spray it on, and then let it sit for 5 min or so then wipe off. You can do it twice if needed to get the "NEW" look.
    Tony

Default used it

the 303 works well - so does the stuff they sell for fabric...

Bad luck for me is that the Transom is rotten - I am looking into how to put another on it - but really would like to use a plastic transom instead of marine grade plywood - can't seem to find much about them on the www....