Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Savage accu trigger, any comments on this trigger?

Default Savage accu trigger, any comments on this trigger?

I am considering a Savage 17hmr with an Accu Trigger. How are these triggers working out. I haven't handled one and was wondering if they are hype or really work. Thanks in advance for your comments, Mark

I dispise savage rifles. Just my personal thing, but I think they are extremely poorly made/designed comparatively speaking. I did buy a savage smokeless muzzleloader for the sole fact that it would decrease barrel damage from black or other traditional powders. I love the fact it shoots smokeless powder, but I'd modify-change darn near everything else. The safety and trigger are foremost on my list of things I dislike about savages. So no I do not like the trigger what so ever. I don't mean to rain on anyone's parade, but you asked so I'm being as truthful as I can be. I hope this helps.

Brett

Quote Originally Posted by markopolo50 View Post
    I am considering a Savage 17hmr with an Accu Trigger. How are these triggers working out. I haven't handled one and was wondering if they are hype or really work. Thanks in advance for your comments, Mark
    I don't expect my savage to ever be a high end rifle. It is cheap and I don't mind spraying it with krylon and tossing it behind the seat of the truck. That said of the 17's in the same price range there is none that have nearly as nice a trigger as the savage accutrigger. Mine is extremely accurate, I was shooting 1 hole groups at 50 yards. $ for $ you can't beat the savage in the 17, the marlin is comperable in most ways but the trigger is not nearly as nice.

I do not own and have not shot any Savage bolt guns, several of the old levers though great guns. Np thing against the new ones, in fact I am looking for one in 223.

I did get a chance to dry fire a accutrigger at the gun store though. I was greatly impressed. The little blade in the middle of the trigger kind of reminds me of a Glock, or two stage trigger. The little blade pulled easy maybe half a pound pull. When my finger touched the real trigger I felt it easy and no longer noticed the blade. The trigger broke clean no feelable takeup or creep, and light for a production rifle I would esimate 3 lbs. I little over travel but just enough to notice not enough to be distracting.

I would say the accutrigger is as good or better then the $50 Boyd trigger I have on my main rifle. An impressive accomplishment in a world of heavy creepy triggers on most production rifles. I would buy one with out hesitation.

Default I shot my first one today

Quote Originally Posted by markopolo50 View Post
    Several sales reps from several manufacturers came to our local range today with samples to shoot. I Shot my first 22-250 and it had the Accu-Trigger. The rep told me that it is the only trigger available that allows the user to adjust the weight. (If I remember correctly - it was a busy day and I shot a LOT of guns)

The trigger was very nice, though. I would have liked to have examined the mechanism to see how the adjustments are made and how robust the parts are. Whether it is a decent, reliable trigger or a fragile, unreliable, gimmick will be up to time to tell, but I would not mind trying one out. It looks like a worthwhile innovation, as long as it is reliable.

Good luck.

Lost Sheep.

I hunted coyote with a Savage 22-250 with an accu-trigger last winter here in Iowa. I gave it to a young kid that started hunting with us toward the end of the season and was using an old 22 Hornet of some variety. I just migrated back to my old faithfull Ruger and all was well!

I had absolutely no problems with that gun. It functioned without a hitch and was extremely accurate. I killed a dozen or so coyotes with it and they died as dead as if they were shot with Sako.

My son has one of the 9317's(I think thats the model, it is a 17 HMR). He really likes it and has killed a bunch squirrels with it the last few years. The only thing I don't like about it is the plastic stock. If I were getting one it would have the wood stock on it. They aren't real pretty either but they feel much better than the plastic.

From a reliability point of view, I have had many Winchester's and Remington's on the bench with problems but very few Savages come my way. There are alot of guys in these parts that hunt with Savages so I know they're out there. It must be that they just don't break often!

Default accutrigger is awesome

I had my first experience actually firing a rifle w/ the accutrigger yesterday(was at birchwood also). I believe it was the model 10xp predator in 22-250. I was very impressed with it. Light and crisp with very little overtravel. Even though the savage rep didnt know ***** i still liked that rifle. It is definately not the only user-adjustable trigger available, but imo is still a good option. Does anybody have any experience with the accutrigger in extreme cold or other harsh conditions? I have been considering purchasing a savage .17 as well.

Default Love the Accutrigger

I have a .22-250 with the accutrigger and I can't say enough good about it. When you feel the "face" of the tigger you know it is going to go with almost no pressure.

I have a 17 HMR by Marlin, I wish I would have waited for the Savage with the Accutrigger. Marlin is a good shooter, but the savage is better.

Default Thanks

Thanks guys, that is what I was looking for, someone with experience with the accutrigger. I am looking at the Savage 93R17 gvxp, which comes with a scope, bull barrel, wood and the accutrigger. I was comparing it with the Marlin 917v, similar except the trigger and as AKbarehunter said, he wished he had the Savage. Thanks for the replies and many more are welcome. Mark

Default Disclaimer

Quote Originally Posted by STEELHEAD 125 View Post
    I had my first experience actually firing a rifle w/ the accutrigger yesterday(was at birchwood also). I believe it was the model 10xp predator in 22-250. I was very impressed with it. Light and crisp with very little overtravel. Even though the savage rep didnt know ***** i still liked that rifle. It is definately not the only user-adjustable trigger available, but imo is still a good option. Does anybody have any experience with the accutrigger in extreme cold or other harsh conditions? I have been considering purchasing a savage .17 as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lost Sheep View Post
    The rep told me that it is the only trigger available that allows the user to adjust the weight. (If I remember correctly - it was a busy day and I shot a LOT of guns)
    Please don't blame the rep if I mis-quoted him or mis-remember that statement. I have been known to be wrong, once, back in 1978. But there have been numerous other times of which we are uncertain. This is another one.

Lost Sheep.

Default poor wording

Sheep, sorry i should have specified. That remark about the savage guy was entirely from the conversation i had with him, though it would come as no surprise that it was him who told you that. Seemed that the guy didnt know much about his own company's products.

I have the Savage FVSS ( Stainless and Synthetic ) in .17hmr. It is probably my favorite rifle and is VERY VERY accurate. We are talking out of the box .4 inch 5 shot groups.

I have a 17HMR Savage heavy SS barrel, laminated stock and the accu-trigger. This rifle shoots .5 at 100yds (no wind of course) all day long. I like the trigger and it is very clean. The rifle build is a little rough but she shoots strait. If you have a few extra bucks the CZ 17 is much nicer to look at and rumor has it that they shoot very good too. Best of luck
    Greg

I have a Savage Model 10 in .243 w/accutrigger and it is wonderful! You can't go wrong with a Savage.

Default Fhss 116

I got my first Savage several months ago, and I'm impressed not only with the Accutrigger but with the rifle as a whole. I own several other rifles with nice aftermarket triggers installed and unless you can't stand the blade in the Accutrigger (and some can't), the Accutrigger is as good as any of them. As a matter I kind of like the feeling...you push in the light trigger blade until you get to the trigger. After that it's about three pounds and it breaks very cleanly. As a matter of fact, had my wife's highly custom .308 had an Accutrigger I suspect I would have killed that bear I missed this spring! Lying in a steep avalanche chute, after a long hike and a tough climb, I readjusted slightly and accidently touched the wonderfully light trigger in the process. Boom, but no bear. Dope! (Fortunately, my wife took a nice bear with it the next morning.)

Beyond the new trigger, the new Accustock is, IMO, the nicest FACTORY synthetic stock made. All the other factory synthetic stocks (except Kimber, but that's about twice as expensive) flex easily at the fore-end. The new Accustock has a machined bedding cradle and an aluminum rail all the way to the foreend. I think contributes to the excellent out of box accuracy. Two weeks ago I shot four bullets into about 1/3" at 100 yards and then four into 2" at 300 yards, with a completely stock rifle. You can get more gun for more money, but after playing with this Savage for a few months, I'm thinking it's pretty hard to get more gun for your money.

Besides all that, I love being able to switch barrels (and hence calibers) at home, with no more than a $45 barrel nut wrench, a barrel vise, and a set of headspace guages. After dialing in with the factory 7RemMag barrel two weeks ago, I did my first barrel switch at home, and an hour later I was shooting the same rifle with a custom .257 Wby barrel on it. Now that I've done it once I'm willing to bet I could switch back and be sighting in with the 7RemMag barrel again in about half an hour. My only complaint with the whole system is that I'm afraid I'll spend too much money on barrels now, and I'm having a hard time deciding which caliber I want to try next!

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

AKArcherdaddy:
    That sounds gooood. I just read about the AccuStock in the latest AR.

Thanks for the first-hand information.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Default That is good, too many choices!!

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    AKArcherdaddy:
    That sounds gooood. I just read about the AccuStock in the latest AR.

Thanks for the first-hand information.

Smitty of the North
    Yes I agree with Smitty, thanks for the first hand info and sorry about the problem with too many barrels/calibers to choose from. Savage 99 is all I have right now, looks like a new one is in order.

Thanks

Mark

Default love the trigger

I bought a mod 10 predator hunter in .223 last year and love it. very accurate rifle. ragged hole groups at 100yds with my .223 reloads. The accutrigger is very crisp and easy to adjust. you just pull the stock off and use the little tool they give you to adjust it. The camo finish on the rifle is a little dissapointing. scratches off to easily IMO but it's a working gun so who cares. well worth every penny. anyone who disagrees is a gun snob

The safety and trigger are foremost on my list of things I dislike about savages. So no I do not like the trigger what so ever.
    Was it the accu-trigger or the old style? The accu-trigger is worlds above the old Savage trigger and safety system. Now they are coming out with an aluminum bedded stock right from the factory without any significant increase in cost. Savage remains one of the best values out there in a bolt gun. I just wish they'd pick up the Ruger short magnums and produce some stainless guns around them.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

The Accutriggers are great, they break like glass, have no creep and are safe to boot.
    This being said, you do have to pay attention to 'side loading' the trigger when set to the lightest poundages.

Side loading will cause the safety device within the trigger to set, rendering the gun useless until you lift and close the bolt handle(re-cock), you do not have to 'cycle' the bolt, but merely lift and close the bolt handle.

Also with the 'target' Accutrigger it is possible to have the weight set so light that Savage recommends that the bolt be closed gently so as not to cause the trigger safety device to set. As with any extremely light trigger, a hard jarring or bump will set it off, however the Accutrigger is completely safe in this regard, the rifle will not accidentally discharge and only has to be re-cocked.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast