Thread: Bag limit/possession limit

Default Bag limit/possession limit

Can someone tell me, if I fillet, vacuum bag, and freeze (in my campers freezer) fish do they count towards my possesion limit? Also, is my 5 year old also able to count toward the possession limit? Thanks in advance!

AKShawn
    AKShawn

Shawn - If the fish is frozen, it is no longer considered part of your possession and you are free to catch more fish. As for the five year old, if they are catching their own fish, they have their own daily and possession limits. If you are catching the fish, you can't add more for the five year old.

Default Thanks!

Thanks Brian! That was how I thought I read it, and what I remembered, but it has been 9+ years since I fished here.

Shawn
    AKShawn

Depends where you're fishing too... remember that halibut are different because they're federally managed. No amount of freezing is going to get them "out of posession"...

-Case
    M/V CanCan - 34' SeaWolf - Bandon, OR
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Default Daily bag and psssession limits

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Shawn - If the fish is frozen, it is no longer considered part of your possession and you are free to catch more fish. As for the five year old, if they are catching their own fish, they have their own daily and possession limits. If you are catching the fish, you can't add more for the five year old.
    Brian M is correct, however, you still have to abide by daily bag limits. Don't take his statement "you are free to catch more fish" to mean that you can go catch a second daily bag in the same day.

ClearCreek

Thanks for clearing that up, ClearCreek. I should have specified that.

Default Thanks

I understood the daily bag limit, I was more concerned about the in possession limit.

AKShawn
    AKShawn

Quote Originally Posted by CanCanCase View Post
    Depends where you're fishing too... remember that halibut are different because they're federally managed. No amount of freezing is going to get them "out of posession"...

-Case
    Case,
    Can you explain? Does this mean I can't have more than 4 halibut in my home freezer? Is there a link you have to this rule?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post
    Case,
    Can you explain? Does this mean I can't have more than 4 halibut in my home freezer? Is there a link you have to this rule?
    Thanks
    If you live on your boat, and that's your "home freezer" then yeah... the nit-picky Federal Marshall here in Juneau would probably have a problem with that.

So far, I've only seen regulation and enforcement related to activities on the water and in the harbors. Then again, there was that BoF proposal which would have given State and Federal authorities unlimited access to inspect storage areas and freezers in boats, homes, lodges, restaurants, cars... anywhere halibut were stored. That reg didn't get through this time, however.

No, there is no link to all of this since the State and the Feds make such easy to follow generic regulations and then leave the interpretation up to enforcement in the field!

(Ever caught a large salmon while you're out on an overnighter? How do you fillet and eat part of the fish, save some raw to take home, and not violate the "no filleting or de-heading at sea" order? I've been around and around on this one with the State... answer from AST: either cook the whole thing, or don't fillet at sea!)

-Case
    M/V CanCan - 34' SeaWolf - Bandon, OR
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Default When is it frozen?

Just because you put it your camper freezer, doesn't mean it is not part of your pssesion! To be considered frozen, means frozen SOLID, not mostly, or partialy. Learned from experience. MOst campers will not freeze completly overnight
    2003 220 Hewescraft Sea Runner 115 Yam'y, Soft Top "Schmidt Happens"

Quote Originally Posted by CanCanCase View Post
    (Ever caught a large salmon while you're out on an overnighter? How do you fillet and eat part of the fish, save some raw to take home, and not violate the "no filleting or de-heading at sea" order? I've been around and around on this one with the State... answer from AST: either cook the whole thing, or don't fillet at sea!)

-Case
    Is it in the regs that you can't fillet or de-head at sea? I know you can't mutilate, blah blah blah, a fish in such a way that you can't tell by looking at the fillets how many fish you caught. Is that what you're referring to? Or maybe it's a SE AK thing?

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

BOILS down to this. in possession is to the point of WHERE it will be processed, for consumption. if your in a camper for a few weeks or days.. that is your temporary residence... other wise you could fish two days. and be done the rest of your vacation.

the argument is where is it no longer " in the field" tent on the river banks with fish on a stringer is in the field... now you eat one you caught the night before for breakfast... it is still bag limited but possesion... (hmmm)

fish DOES NOT have to be frozen either. whole fish on ice are not processed. cleaned and filleted, and packaged are...in your camper cooler is out of the field. other wise 250,000 tourist would be in trouble crossing the border each year.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Queen of Kings View Post
    Just because you put it your camper freezer, doesn't mean it is not part of your pssesion! To be considered frozen, means frozen SOLID, not mostly, or partialy. Learned from experience. MOst campers will not freeze completly overnight
    Here's what the regs say:

preserved fish means fish prepared in such a manner, and in an existing state of preservation, as to be fit for human consumption
    after a 15-day period, and does not include unfrozen fish temporarily stored in coolers that contain ice, dry ice, or fish that are lightly salted.

I'd say mostly frozen would be fit for consumption 15 days later....but that's me. I guess the trooper you ran into didn't think the same way?

AND, here's what the federal regs say about halibut:

(3) In waters in and off Alaska, no
    person may possess more than two daily
    bag limits.

From this, I would guess that as long as it's not on the water you're ok. I couldn't find any other definition....maybe someone else can...here's the link:
    http://www.fakr.noaa.gov/regs/summary.htm

It also says it's ok to fillet and consume halibut at sea (halibut can only be filleted in 4 pieces).

I'd say mostly frozen would be fit for consumption 15 days later....but that's me. I guess the trooper you ran into didn't think the same way?

I agree, but the FG didn't! Could have fought it but a day off, dirve down and blah blah made it not worth it. Plus one ticket was my brother's out of state. They know when they have you over a barrel. They we 80-90% frozen, but she was not very reasonable.
    2003 220 Hewescraft Sea Runner 115 Yam'y, Soft Top "Schmidt Happens"