Thread: Shipping to Alaska

Default Shipping to Alaska

Does anyone know a company that will ship a puppy from St. Louis to Anchorage? The breeder said the company they usually use doesn't fly to Alaska and I'm supposed to get the pup within 2 weeks.

I've recieved pups from Washington State a couple times. They were shipped on Northwest. Very easy deal. The shipper gives me flight info, the airlines calls when the pup is unloaded from the jet (I am usually waiting there at the shipping/receiving facility, the puppy is brought out to me. Good luck.

Default Alaska Air cargo

We had a puppy shipped from Chicago to Anchorage with Alaska Air Cargo. We picked him up right at the cargo counter, they brought him out as soon as they unloaded the plane.

Jake
    All the romance of trout fishing exists in the mind of the angler and is in no way shared by the fish.

Default This is my own opinion but.......

why have a dog shipped up here? There are so many good dogs already here looking for homes. In the last 3 yrs I have adopted a minpin, beagle, and a chocolate lab all at the pound. Less than $150 each and no airfare!

The most common way t ship a dog to Alaska is via one of the major airlines. Most airlines are getting more and more restrictive. We have shipped/received dogs from all over the US and I have to say Alaska Airlines tends to be the most reasonable group...they also have climate control in the plane cargo hold. the later is important as many airlines will not ship if it is too hot or too cold. Shipping will range from about $200 to $1,000 plus depending on crate size, dog weight, etc.. My preferred way is to fly to the pick up spot and *bring* the dog back as *carry on* if small enough, or baggage ($50). PM me if you want to know about the Alaska Show Dog list where breeders and showers discuss this stuff all the time.
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

Quote Originally Posted by dandeo2003 View Post
    why have a dog shipped up here? There are so many good dogs already here looking for homes. In the last 3 yrs I have adopted a minpin, beagle, and a chocolate lab all at the pound. Less than $150 each and no airfare!

Because I want a field trial/hunt test quality dog from a reputable breeder in stead of the pound. I want to make sure the parents are tested properly and that I get a guarantee on the pup. Otherwise, I'd do it.