Thread: Shipping a pup to Alaska

Default Shipping a pup to Alaska

I'm buying a pup in Missouri. The breeder said that the company they usually use to ship pups doesn't fly to Alaska. Does anyone know a company that will ship a puppy from Missouri to Alaska? Any help is greatly appreciated. Pup is due to come up here within 2 weeks.

Too bad our schedules don't jive. I am flying up from PA on Monday. If there was anyway for me to get the dog I would gladly bring it up for you.

I would contact wetland retriever association in Palmer to ask their advice. I would also recommend going to http://www.sleddogcentral.com/forum/ and posting your question there. Maybe post something on craigslist in MO if all else fails, though I personly would have a hard time letting a total stranger bring my new puppy to me.

What kind of dog are you getting?

Default Where in Missouri

I am from North Central Arkansas. Only 10 miles from Missouri. When I go home to see family I have to fly into Tulsa as that is the nearest Air Port that ships dogs. Depending on where your dog is at in Missouri they could ship it through continental up here to Anchorage for you. I have done it twice with my dog and it has been great so far. It will cost you about 350-400 bucks.
    "A dog has no use for fancy cars or big homes or designer clothes. Status symbol means nothing to him. A waterlogged stick will do just fine." Marley and Me

I got off the phone with Continental earlier tonight. They said they can ship it here from St. Louis for $199. Assuming all that information is correct, I should be getting the pup next weekend. It's a lab. I trained prior to joining the Army and had to sell my personal dog started. Now that I'm up here and in a non-deployable unit, I'm getting back in the game. Looking forward to running tests/trials next year!

St Louis or Kansas City are your best options. Depending on travel to and from the airport for the shipper.
    I've dealt with Northwest mostly. But have flown with Delta who also does a good job.
    The problem with this time of year is some carriers won't ship due to high temperatures in that region. They are considering the time the dog is in the carrier while the aircraft is on the tarmack. Best to check with your carrier to make sure there are no restrictions in place due to temperatures.
    Happy wagging tails. I look forward to kicking your butt at the trial.

Default NWA

NWA usually has cargo ports in the area. I ship mine from Omaha NE.
    Louis

Just had my lab sent up from Minnesota on NWA. Cost me $250. He was waiting at the baggage claim for me. Seemed like no problem for him. I did have a one of those small bowls that attatch to the side of a travel kennel filled with water then froze it so it wouldn't spill. He was able to lick the ice

Quote Originally Posted by mjm316 View Post
    Just had my lab sent up from Minnesota on NWA. Cost me $250. He was waiting at the baggage claim for me. Seemed like no problem for him. I did have a one of those small bowls that attatch to the side of a travel kennel filled with water then froze it so it wouldn't spill. He was able to lick the ice
    Ice is a great idea!