Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Extreme Alaskan Outfitter Frame Pack...

Default Extreme Alaskan Outfitter Frame Pack...

I had researched several packs before heading to Cabelas. I narrowed my search to Barney’s Pack, Dana Pack and Cabelas brand packs. I decided on an external pack as it will be more versatile than an internal frame. My justification for trying a Cabelas pack before Barneys or Dana was simply money. I normally don’t allow dollar signs to get in my way of getting the best gear, but I felt that if Cabelas fit me good, I’d go with it and if it didn’t work out in the long run…well then I could always attach the pack to a Barney or Dana frame.

After trying on virtually every pack in stock, I settled on the Extreme Alaskan Outfitter Frame Pack. When I put it on, it just felt great! Amazing, actually! I adjusted it and readjusted it to fit perfect. Pulled and yanked, twisted and turned, checked every fastener for strength and squeak, put it back on the shelf, had lunch, went back and did it all over again, threw it in my cart!!

When I got home today, strapped a 45lb plate weight to it and hiked up and down the stairs at school. It felt good, but the pack is creating a few pressure-points near my neck and collar bone. I will test a few more times to determine whether it is a result of 1.how I have the suspension adjusted, 2.it is the packs fault, or if 3.I am just a sissy and out of shape…I’m thinking it’s a combination of #1 and 3!

Joshua

I'm not sure about the Extreme alaskan Outfitter Frame but the Cabela;s Alaska II frame was redesigned and not to the better, in my opinion. The old frame had an adjustment for shoulder width, you just moved the shoulder straps to one of the three large pins and then moved the spacers. The new frames do not let you adjust for shulder width. As a result, the shoulder straps have a tendancy to ride too close to my neck and collar bone. My brother used it on this last caribou hunt and said the same thing, a little too narrow. I wrote Cabela's and told them of the situation, they said they would pass it on. Check and see if you can adjust the straps. I once bought an older Alaska II frame because the seller did not know you could adjust those straps.

Default Bill...

I checked mine over thoroughly and There is no way to adjust the shoulder straps for width. I can adjust the suspencion straps to pull outward a little bit, but not a significant amount. I hiked the stairs and hallways for about 3 hours last night with the same 45 lb setup on it and fine-tuned the adjustment some more. I will hump it for about 2 hours tonight and see if I can get it to mold to my body better. I am fairly small-framed, so I may get it comfy. If not...back she goes.
    Joshua

Thumbs down Still not happy

I took to the stairs last night for about 2 hours with the pack loaded at 50 pounds. Still couldn't get it to fit the way I had hoped it would when loaded. If only it felt as good loaded as it does unloaded;-)

Going to hit er tonight for another 2 hrs, if I can't get it to feel good...back to Cabelas she goes!

You are more forgiving than I would be. I don't know why they redesigned the shoulder width feature out, and of course customer service could not tell me. I haven't found that external pack frames mold very well to my body, if they don't fit and can't be adjust, you are generally SOL. I would either give them a call or go back to the store and just ask them what can be done. I know there was some problems with another type pack until people actually called and found out how to adjust the pack to fit. It couldn't hurt.

Doesn't that pack weigh like 12 lbs? Maybe I'm thinking of a differeent cabelas pack.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again

Default heavy packs...

The old style was that heavy, Snyd. I think they are around 8-9 lbs now?
    Too heavy for me. Even at 6'6'' 225, I'm a 3-4lb pack guy. That extra 7-8 lbs could be the difference between one trip out or two with a sheep on the back or hauling a bou outside the corridor.
    They are spacious though. I wore a buddies on Kodiak and it was huge and held lots of deer meat. I think in the right application one might be nice to have. Maybe a good moose pack.
    Not a do-it-all pack, however.
    My .02

BucknRut, my advice for you is this. If you dont love it with 50lbs in it , send it back immediately. If you think it doesn't feel right on some stairs wait till its loaded with the amount of weight you tested and your 5 miles up a drainage with 5-10 days to go. A proper sized and proper fitting pack will let you know that it will work well for you. Dont cut corners on a good pack because that thing carries your well being and your trophy in it in the field. You can do it with a pack that works, or you can do it with a pack that works well! I have done both and I can tell you that the one that works well is way more fun.

Unhappy She's goin back...

Cub, you are right...for four days I've spent 2-3 hours a night humping 50 pounds and I just can't get the right fit. The next choice on my list of potentials is by Dana, but I will entertain other thoughts or ideas of what might fit a small-framed 150 pound guy.

Thanks for your insight.
    Joshua

Default Snyd

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    Doesn't that pack weigh like 12 lbs? Maybe I'm thinking of a differeent cabelas pack.
    Fullkurl has got it. The old style weighed in close to 12lb. This is the "latest greatest" they have, which I had heard good things about it's suspension and fit. Doesn't feel good on me though. The Alaskan Extreme weighs in at 4lb10oz for the frame and 3lb4oz for the pack. The pack is 4700 cu in. My complaints correspond with Bill's. Migh fit better on a bigger guy.
    my .02

You really need to measure your torso to get the right size pack, any pack. Check out the Dana website, they explain it.

It's good to see that they lightened them up. I saw one at a pawn shop once like new but it just weighed to much.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again

Default One size DOES NOT fit all...

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    You really need to measure your torso to get the right size pack, any pack...
    yup, I think I've come to that conclusion...Cub PM'd me and has been a great help. If you guys only knew what my first "pack" was like!!

And to think that Northern Mountain Supply cleared all their Dana packs out in 2003 for less than $100, man if a guy only knew.......

wow, those were a steal.

Default Dan Mchale packs they're worth a look

I would suggest looking at a Dan Mchale pack. You've probably not heard of him, but he makes packs that leave everything else a way distant second. Dan has a unique system which allows you to send in your measurement, and he'll send you a demo pack. (for a fee) You'll then get to try it out. Load it however you want to pack it around take some pictures of the fit and send them and the pack back to Mchale Packs. When you talk to Dan (yes you will talk to the man making your pack and who has been making packs for 30+ years right hear on American soil w/ materials made in the USA) you can order custom sizes, colors and accesories for to fit your needs. It is worth it just to look at the hip belt and bypass harness. I've used and abused mine, you can make it into a pack for a 1 day trip or a 20 day trip, load it as heavy as you want and it will not fail. I've been a very happy customer. I own alot of gear that I believe is some of the best out there from rifles to optics down to my socks and out of all of them my Mchale pack has been my one piece of gear that is perfect for every use I have for it. I'd at least check it out before I bought a pack that I had to talk myself into liking

After reading this thread I had to get out my Cabella's "Alaskan II frame pack" & weigh it. It's an older one with the adjustable shoulder width. The bag also has the built in rain cover & when you take it off the entire bag becomes a separate pack with decent straps & a foam padding in the area that contacts your back. Kind of a nice feature if two guys are hunting together, If you only take the one pack out from camp you can both come back with a load of meat if you score. I wouldn't want to haul a load of meat in it too far with no frame.
    Anyway, I came up with 7 pounds ready to go.
    It's as comfortable as any pack I've tried with a moose hind 1/4 in it. I'm 5'7 & a bit on the round side. Maybe it's a good thing I've never tried a Barney's pack. I might find out that this one isn't really comfortable. I think right now I'll stay blissfully ignorant. ;-)
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Default packs

I checked C's web site, the extreme packs vary from 6-10 lbs now, they are lighter than in the past.
    They look like great packs for the $, 'specially for bullwinkle...

I bought the Alaskan outfitter frame pack 2yrs ago. It is a heavier pack but it fit's my frame very well and I like th idea that from main camp I can unbuckle the pack from the frame in 2 secs and have just the frieghter frame alone. That being said, I will NOT take it on a sheep or goat hunt due to the weight, I will rely on my old pack, much lighter. Finding the right pack for you can make or break a 2 week hunt.

I am in the military (field artillery) and we do lots of walking with not so quality packs. Our new ones are nice and comfortable though. This year I bought the Extreme Pack also from cabela's. With my pack weighing in at 63Lbs I carried it up a 6500 Ft mountain with ease. I thought it peformed wonderfully. My buddy had the same pack, his weighin in at 59. For the price, it just cant be beat.
    Steve

Default Osprey

Look at the Osprey crescent 110. Myself and my partners used this pack on sheep hunts last year, and we all say it is the best pack we have owned. They come with the bioform hip belt which is heated and molded to your waist . Check them out at Wiggy's alaska. I had 140 lbs on my back and it felt as good as 140 lbs on your back can feel..

Coop

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast