Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Calling for bears...and other Brown Bear hunting methods

Default Calling for bears...and other Brown Bear hunting methods

This was mentioned and diluted in another thread so I thought I'd start a new one. Who has experience with this? As I understand it, the only species in AK illegal for electronic calling is moose. That said, which calls would you use (and I guess not necessarily electronic)? There were a few of you out there who seemed to have either done it or shared an interest. Of course this would be, likely, geared toward brownies, since you can bait black.

Being from Cantwell, I am still new at hunting in the lower elevations where you cant see very far, so this would seem like one of the only viable options for hunting brownies other than river-running or knowledge of a kill-site (like in crossfoxAK's success).

I have done it on Afognak Island, The first time, I was bored, and all we could see was trees, trees, trees, so I tooted a crying wabbit call, well let's say I was not mentally prepared for the results. The problem is you don't get to know whats coming, but it's coming, and maybe more than one large thing is coming.

The Meadows are small, and you can't stand in the middle, so you find a nice uprooted tree, and call across the small opening, but the bear can come up behind you. They sometimes come like a D-8 dozer crashing off the upper hillside, and you hear them coming a long ways. But if the forest floor is moss, they are just there noiselessly.
    It is always dark in the forest, and judging is hard, and must be done quickly. The bottom line for me is I don't like it, as a hunting method.

I guess you could use a tree-stand though....Thanks Hope~ From your experience, was it 'instant results' for you? Of course, that can never be expected, just curious in your circumstance...

Quote Originally Posted by hunt_ak View Post
    I guess you could use a tree-stand though....Thanks Hope~ From your experience, was it 'instant results' for you? Of course, that can never be expected, just curious in your circumstance...
    Two came running right away, one from our 2:O'clock and one from our 6:O'clock......I freaked....grabbed the hunter.....and beat'feet. As Inspector (Dirty Harry) Callahan would say, "A man has got to know his limits".

Default Se ak

Once in the alpine on a goat hunt I was above a bear. My partner had a live tag in his pocket and wanted a closer look at the bear. I blew loud on my deer call and that bear bolted out of there quick.

Thats just my experience but of course folks here in SE often have great consideration for bears while blowing a call.

I agree with the above comments.....It's a nice feature being able to take your time to field judge before shooting. Afterall taxidermy isnt' cheap.

I have found on some islands in the SE just a rifle shot durning deer season is a good bear call.The little cheap doe bleats also work at times.

I've seen a few video's on this and have wanted to try it for myself - sadly, no one I know will try it and I won't attempt it alone.

I know of one hunter who has called for bears in the south central region and he reported it was non-stop excitement and saw over 9 bears in a single day. Some came charging in while others exercised caution on approach. He used hand held calling techniques.

I guess one advantage of electronic callers over hand-calling bears is that you have the option of a little space. A wireless range of 30-50 yards would offer some protection...

Kyle - Do you have access to a treestand? Maybe you and I need to give this a shot sometime. Late fall after moose season is over? Next spring? I'd be game if someone had my back in the other direction. A treestand would be even better, of course, but may be a pain in the butt to set up for just a short calling session.

Brian, I would DEFINITELY be game for somthing like this (I've got life insurance ). I'm sure we could wrangle up a few stands or we could scout a good spot that might offer some semblance of protection. The more I think of it, I like the remote call idea....

Just trying to think of ways to hunt brownies in the areas where spot/stalk is not much of an option...

My brother has a couple of tree stands set up over bait up in Unit 16. Hmm...either I could borrow his stands, or once he's done baiting it for the year we could go set up and try to call in some brownies to help with the predator control efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    to help with the predator control efforts.
    Well thats what its all about...helping the greater-good

stimpy

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskanOutdoorsman View Post
    I know of one hunter who has called for bears in the south central region and he reported it was non-stop excitement and saw over 9 bears in a single day. Some came charging in while others exercised caution on approach.
    I have a Wildlife Technologies caller. The remote works nearly 1/4 mile away, so I can call safely. I've tried calling for bears in the Susitna Valley as well as areas where bears are known to be thick.

The only bear that ever came was one spotted before I turned the call on. He was coming slowly when another "hunter" came on the run and spooked the bear off.

I was using it just a few weeks ago (might have been a bit early; we saw lots of cow moose and cow caribou, but not a single calf). We spotted a wolf before turning the call on (I try to always glass an area well before turning the call on if it's an area that allows much visibility).

The wolf never responded.

Default Conditions are always different.

Bear and predator ratio, population numbers, hunter pressure, food source and the type of call your using are some of the many considerations. The dying rabbit call doesn't always work and some hunters rely on it to much; in some area's raven squawk works best - allot of it IMO depends also on the food supply and competition in the area. I was told to experiment with everything from squeaks to squawks and to call and move. Oh, and lets not forget good old 'dumb luck'.

Hoping to get an opportunity to get out and do this, I've attempted to digitally record ravens - unfortunately, the digital recordings have not been what I wanted and I'm still working on securing a recording I'm happy with.

That's about all I personally know on the subject. If someone tries this, please report back in this thread. I've picked out a few spots (no tree stands) but another hunter, perhaps two for coverage and spotting are required for me to be comfortable and for all to be 'safe'.

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskanOutdoorsman View Post
    , I've attempted to digitally record ravens - unfortunately, the digital recordings have not been what I wanted and I'm still working on securing a recording I'm happy with.[/SIZE]

[/SIZE]
    I have a hi-gain mic and amplifier that might help you record ravens.

If your interest.

Quote Originally Posted by Bighorse View Post
    Once in the alpine on a goat hunt I was above a bear. My partner had a live tag in his pocket and wanted a closer look at the bear. I blew loud on my deer call and that bear bolted out of there quick.

Thats just my experience but of course folks here in SE often have great consideration for bears while blowing a call.

I agree with the above comments.....It's a nice feature being able to take your time to field judge before shooting. Afterall taxidermy isnt' cheap.
    Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    I have found on some islands in the SE just a rifle shot durning deer season is a good bear call.The little cheap doe bleats also work at times.

this has pretty much been my experience. I don't like doing it if I CANNOT see the bear. That is bad news. But if Im up high, can see him down there (over there, up there, what have you) and I have a good idea of the route he's going to take to get to me.. Then heck yes, theres no greater rush then having a bear come in full bore dead sprint and slam on the brakes at 50 yards and stand up to see what in the heck you really are. I recommend having a round in the chamber and a decent rest, ready to go with a shot just in case.. oh and look 'round behind you every now and then too..

Kyle,

Stop by sometime and I'll loan you my video on calling bears. There is some good footage of bear reactions to calls. Trying to call in a bear is on my "to do" list since I don't want to be tied to a bait station and I wouldn't mind taking a Griz.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Quote Originally Posted by Hopeak View Post
    I have done it on Afognak Island, The first time, I was bored, and all we could see was trees, trees, trees, so I tooted a crying wabbit call, well let's say I was not mentally prepared for the results. The problem is you don't get to know whats coming, but it's coming, and maybe more than one large thing is coming.

The Meadows are small, and you can't stand in the middle, so you find a nice uprooted tree, and call across the small opening, but the bear can come up behind you. They sometimes come like a D-8 dozer crashing off the upper hillside, and you hear them coming a long ways. But if the forest floor is moss, they are just there noiselessly.
    It is always dark in the forest, and judging is hard, and must be done quickly. The bottom line for me is I don't like it, as a hunting method.

Could not agree more. It is one thing to work with getting an animal that the size and sex is known into to the open by using a cub sound or cracking twigs as compared to "guessing" what might be coming.
    Joe (Ak)

Quote Originally Posted by AKmud View Post
    Kyle,

Stop by sometime and I'll loan you my video on calling bears. There is some good footage of bear reactions to calls. Trying to call in a bear is on my "to do" list since I don't want to be tied to a bait station and I wouldn't mind taking a Griz.
    Thanks! I'll definitely stop by!

Quote Originally Posted by Rutting Moose View Post
    I have a hi-gain mic and amplifier that might help you record ravens.

If your interest.
    Thanks - I'll send you a PM

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast