Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Removing bait station

Default Removing bait station

How many have already pulled their bait stations? I am this weekend after a dismal season on Mt. Baldy. Three grizz and no blackies, had enough for this season.
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Bearclaw67 View Post
    How many have already pulled their bait stations? I am this weekend after a dismal season on Mt. Baldy. Three grizz and no blackies, had enough for this season.

...Removed........well they go in on a sled, over 4' of snow, with a snow machine, over the alders bent flat. Are you suggesting cut 1/4 mile of 3" alders to get it out...NO'WAY....Just leave it with the 341 other barrels that no one removed.......(The sad, but true little dark secret about bait stations)...And besides, who's to know it was unregistered anyway.

Hope, dont know about yours, but mine's registered. I took it in, I'll bring it out!
    Paul

Hope, dont know about yours, but mine's registered. I took it in, I'll bring it out!
    Thank You for being a responsible person. I don't Bait, I was referring to the hundreds of barrels 1/4 mile off the Hope Road, or The Chugach Power line ROW which roughly parallels the Hope Road. Can you tell I ain't happy about this.......????

What are the penalties for not cleaning up stands, is it a fine or loss of hunting rights? Does anyone know?

Were you guys up Zero lake rd? We had a stand up Baldy and we didn't get a single hit.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

I'm going to pull mine this week. I already took two bears out of there, anymore and i'll go broke! I have had mainly blackies at mine, only had one brown bear there that I am aware of. Its getting to expensive to keep driving over 250 miles round trip twice a week, on top of the cost of bait. But it has been ALOT of fun and a great experience, i'll definitely be back next year. Had mine out since may 20th'ish....

Hopeak, I sometimes wonder if you like living where you are or you are just there to find the worst in people and complain about it. If there are that many illegal sites in your area, notify Trooper Taylor in Girdwood or Trooper Cloward in Seward. Officers Paul Cain or Jeff Bryden with USFS in Moose Pass or Seward.
    I have to ask why you are going into other folk's bait sites anyway. If you come across one and there are no signs, notify someone.
    AKguy454, you have to see the judge for not cleaning up your site. I believe it is a mandatory court appearance.

Pike, we were not up zero road, but also had very little activity.
    Paul

Pike, we were not up zero road, but also had very little activity.
    Ya we didn't have anything hit, but I did get a chance to go bait over with my buddy and we learned alot and now we have seen what we did wrong.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Pike, I am new to this baiting thing as well, not sure we did anything wrong other than maybe location, but we will give it a try again next year.
    Paul

Hunting mine the next 2 nights then probably pull it wed or thursday. My crushed plastic barrel should be easy to haul out. At least 2 big brownies at mine earlier this month hopefully they are looking for salmon by now.
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

I have taken a few bears over bait on the Kenai Pen, never after the 1st week in June. Don't the bears you are seeing have pretty rubbed hides??

saw 2 lastnight and yes the first 1 we saw was def rubbed, still an awesome sight to see in the woods...such a stellar animal. as for he second 1 its coat was still beautiful

Quote Originally Posted by jtm9 View Post
    Hopeak, I sometimes wonder if you like living where you are or you are just there to find the worst in people and complain about it. If there are that many illegal sites in your area, notify Trooper Taylor in Girdwood or Trooper Cloward in Seward. Officers Paul Cain or Jeff Bryden with USFS in Moose Pass or Seward.
    I have to ask why you are going into other folk's bait sites anyway. If you come across one and there are no signs, notify someone.
    AKguy454, you have to see the judge for not cleaning up your site. I believe it is a mandatory court appearance.
    So it is illegal to be in the woods May and June.......? Bait sites are illegal to walk with-in 1/4 mile of. I have been here Most of the last 40 years, not all, but most. I was here before baiting was legal. I want the bears thinned out. And I am tired of DLP kills. I would have hoped that the baiting community would say, "Wow, we need to figure out something, or if baiter's are leaving hundreds of barrels in the wilderness, sooner or later someone will suggest a five hundred dollar deposit, and the site will be inspected, and you get $350.00 back". It is your wilderness also. How do the troopers give a ticket to a unregistered site.....? Sorry I pointed out short comings in the program.

If you want to have a conversation here about how they could have even the remotest chance of catching these guys, I am up for a dialog.

What your not getting is that fact that all bait sites are suppose to be registered. If they are not then they are illegal bait sites. Of course, if they don't register them then you don't know who's doing it, unless you catch them in the act.

Call F&G and tell them your removing the barrels if the barrels bother you that much, i'm sure they would appreciate you helping them clean things up out there. And if you don't want to help then I guess the barrels stay and you can keep complaining about it.
    It's not F&G's, BLM's, or the USFS' job to pick up after illegal hunters.
    Were it me, I would get my wheeler and trailer and start hauling barrels, with permission from F&G of course.

Hopeak, I'm not looking for an argument, and I apologize if I came across as a jerk. I have seen a number of your posts in a few different threads that have to do with illegal bear bait sites. I realize it is my outdoors also and will be with you if you had said you found illegal sites, notified law enforcement and they did something about it or not. It sounds like you enjoy the outdoors and are in the woods quite often. I can't imagine a Trooper, Fed, game warden etc wouldn't want to know about the sites, and listen to your input. If you have reported these sites, what was the outcome? I think there is a Trooper in Cooper Landing now also.

Report the sites, but unfortunately the F & G and other enforcement officers are spread thin over a wide area. I know the enforcement people in the Seward / Hope area are active folks and will enforce the rules if they can get somebody coming or going from an active, illegal site. Old abandonded sites are an eyesore giving all hunters a bad name.

Quote Originally Posted by AkHunter45 View Post

Call F&G and tell them your removing the barrels if the barrels bother you that much, i'm sure they would appreciate you helping them clean things up out there. And if you don't want to help then I guess the barrels stay and you can keep complaining about it..

Keep pushing me......keep pushing. I did not put the barrels there, and I "D@MN" sure ain't removing someone trash. But if you want me to be PRO-ACTIVE.....keep pushing. Here is a plan. Arrange a walking tour for the keepers of the "CHUGACH NATIONAL FOREST" and show them all the barrels. If they see the mess left by past bear baiter's, they will have a few ideas for the future of bait stations in the National Forests.

I have been bringing this issue up to you fellow hunters, hoping you would say, "Gee maybe we should be pro active, and kick around ideas for the future of bait stations, there does appear to be a problem, left unresolved could effect the future of baiting. But instead you have chosen to give me grief for pointing out a problem. I have never baited bears, I have hunted and loved Alaska for 40 years.

Go ahead: make my day, push just one more time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Hopeak View Post
    Keep pushing me......keep pushing. I did not put the barrels there, and I "D@MN" sure ain't removing someone trash. But if you want me to be PRO-ACTIVE.....keep pushing. Here is a plan. Arrange a walking tour for the keepers of the "CHUGACH NATIONAL FOREST" and show them all the barrels. If they see the mess left by past bear baiter's, they will have a few ideas for the future of bait stations in the National Forests.

I have been bringing this issue up to you fellow hunters, hoping you would say, "Gee maybe we should be pro active, and kick around ideas for the future of bait stations, there does appear to be a problem, left unresolved could effect the future of baiting. But instead you have chosen to give me grief for pointing out a problem. I have never baited bears, I have hunted and loved Alaska for 40 years.

Go ahead: make my day, push just one more time.....

Ok, I'll bite... So now you're saying that the entire bear baiting community is supposed to be scared of a guy in Hope, AK because he finds some unregistered sites? Don't you think the "Keepers of the Chugach National Forest" have already seen this same stuff? If you have that much of a problem with this, call Fish & Game or quit complaining, one or the other. I'm not trying to "push you one more time," but how can you get on here relentlessly complaining about the same thing. Look up the definition of fool. I don't even know where you're talking about, but if I lived near some stuff like that, and enjoyed walking around in the outdoors as much as you claim to, I'd see that it were taken care of. I'd bet you see a lot less unregistered sites if you'd stay in a cabin, beside two creeks, on a mountain, in stead of "tracking people" into their bait stations.

One more thing, if "bait sites are illegal to walk within 1/4 mile of*," and you claim that these sites are within 1/4 mile of the road, aren't YOU breaking the law?

Quote Originally Posted by Hopeak View Post
    So it is illegal to be in the woods May and June.......? Bait sites are illegal to walk with-in 1/4 mile of.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast