Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: shipping handgun to myself, from AK-WI

Smile shipping handgun to myself, from AK-WI

Has anyone used Fed-Ex to ship a handgun to and from yourself. I am under the impression I can do this. I would be shipping to myself at my mothers residence, but not there to sign or pick it up for about two weeks. I have seen some information saying it can be done and others saying it is cheaper to go dealer to dealer.. any information on cost and advice appreciated. Thanks!

I have done it many times with UPS useing the don't ask don't tell method with no problem. I know of no law against it but UPS clerks often try to use thier own idea of policy and can be a pain. Do always let the place its going to know its comming.

I shipped all my weapons (5 rifles, 2 handguns) to AK when I moved up.. just took them wrapped up like presents and dropped them off at the post office.. paid shipping and picked them up when I got up here..

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

You can ship ir from yourself to yourself using Fed Ex or UPS. You cannot mail a handgun.

Default Not legal

You CANNOT ship a handgun to yourself from yourself in another state. You certainly CANNOT ship it to someone else's address in another state. You CAN ship a long gun to yourself if you mail it yourself to your residence if that longgun is legal in that state. If you want to do it any way as others have, it's up to you. For me, breaking a Federal gun law in today's political atmosphere intentionally would not help the cause. I am not certain, but I don't think UPS allows shipping a handgun through them anymore. You'd have to check on that. The only proper way is to send it to a dealer for pick-up. It is legal to ship it yourself to a dealer if they are willing to accept. Many won't do that anymore.

yup just checked my moving inventory sheet.. y'all are correct .. the handguns went with the movers.. rifles through the mail. My fault . woops..

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

Quote Originally Posted by tschaffan View Post
    Has anyone used Fed-Ex to ship a handgun to and from yourself. I am under the impression I can do this. I would be shipping to myself at my mothers residence, but not there to sign or pick it up for about two weeks. I have seen some information saying it can be done and others saying it is cheaper to go dealer to dealer.. any information on cost and advice appreciated. Thanks!
    Do you enjoy being gang-raped?

Do you think it may be best to consult the ATF FAQ webpage to see if this is correct?
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

I'll repeat it. You can ship YOUR handgun via common carrier from yourself to yourself lawfully.

send it in 2 packages as parts through ups. As long as it's non operable what can be said?
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by ironartist View Post
    send it in 2 packages as parts through ups. As long as it's non operable what can be said?
    That you are guilty of a Federal felony for mailing a handgun. Operability has nothing to do with it.

You CANNOT ship a handgun to yourself from yourself in another state. You certainly CANNOT ship it to someone else's address in another state.
    Not true.

(B9) May a nonlicensee ship firearms interstate for his or her use in hunting or other lawful activity? [Back]

Yes. A person may ship a firearm to himself or herself in care of another person in the State where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. The package should be addressed to the owner. Persons other than the owner should not open the package and take possession of the firearm.
    http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#b9

Quote Originally Posted by Wildalaska View Post
    That you are guilty of a Federal felony for mailing a handgun. Operability has nothing to do with it.
    O.K. I'll be argumentative, so a 1911 totally stripped, each part sent in a separate envelope. Hammer, trigger, barrel, one side grip, each spring, everyone in a separate envelope. which envelope had the handgun, I'll guess the totally stripped frame. So if it went before a judge would he see, looking only at the stripped frame, a handgun, or a machined part.

I wonder, and if you said Mr. prosecutor can you make that machined part go bang, bang, bang....? I don't know....I understand the intent of the law. but I have to wonder when is it single part, a single isolated part, and when does it become a handgun....?

The frame or receiver, stripped or otherwise, is always considered a firearm. Any judge or prosecutor would see it that way as that it is how it is written in the law.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopeak View Post
    when does it become a handgun....?
    According to the feds, whenever its got a serial number, its considered a firearm....

Just like a CAV arms MKII lower receiver that is A CHUNK OF PLASTIC....still considered a firearm...

Quote Originally Posted by hunt_ak View Post
    According to the feds, whenever its got a serial number, its considered a firearm....

Just like a CAV arms MKII lower receiver that is A CHUNK OF
    PLASTIC....still considered a firearm...
    So if one grinds off the serial number it is now just a machined part.....????

You can ship a hangun to yourself if you use a common carrier not USPS but costs using UPS & Fedex they want same day will wipe out any savings. FFL to FFL can use US mail
    and is cheap. But FFL costs may wipe out cost savings. Some states may make you go
    through a FFL.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopeak View Post
    So if one grinds off the serial number it is now just a machined part.....????
    It is now a firearm that has had the serial number machined off, which, according to the 1968 Gun Control Act now makes you Bubba's girl.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Nitroman View Post
    It is now a firearm that has had the serial number machined off, which, according to the 1968 Gun Control Act now makes you Bubba's girl.
    What is interesting is standalone these cases are never prosocuted, they are used as addtional charges, to build a case for something else. All of this 68'GCA & Class III regulations are only an issue in urban areas. It only matters in relation to other humans. The more humans (Cities) the more it matters, one guy in a trappers cabin, on the upper Stink'finger River cuts he's rifle and shotgun barrels to 12 1/2" who cares. I remember when a old guide/roadhouse owner brought 190 guns into the store to sell, about 35 were illegal, many were old set guns, that still had cord on the trigger. Most of the 35 were single shot, SBR, and a few SBS. Most had no serial Number. This was 1988, who cared. We destroyed the offending parts, kept the rest. He said, "I've had some of those guns 65 years".

That was 35 guns, now contrast that with one guy in the city with one shotgun with 17 7/8" barrel in the trunk, when he gets busted for drugs.

Prior to the '68 GCA, serial numbers weren't required.

Do you really want to take a chance the Feds or State will look the other way on an illegal firearm or removed serial? After all, it is only the rest of your life.

Quote Originally Posted by Nitroman View Post
    Prior to the '68 GCA, serial numbers weren't required.

Do you really want to take a chance the Feds or State will look the other way on an illegal firearm or removed serial? After all, it is only the rest of your life.

Maybe My life would be better in prison......Free dental, free medical, free food.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast