Thread: 375 Barnes TSX Ojive

Default 375 Barnes TSX Ojive

I'm wondering if anyone has come accross this before? I bought a set of Dies "RCBS" for my 375 H&H . I set them up and went to seat the TSX 300 gr. and when I lowered the press the bullet got stuck in the bullet seat and pulled the bullet 1/2 way back out? So I called RCBS they said I would have to get a custom seat plug! So I ordered one $24 and it would 2 weeks and you have to send 3 of the bullets "of witch you won't get back". So after 5 1/2 weeks I got it and you guessed it I had the same problem!!!!!!!!! So after all that I said @#%& and bought a set of Hornadys, got them home and had the same problem!!!!!!!! Any HELP would be Appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by Down Range View Post
    I'm wondering if anyone has come accross this before? I bought a set of Dies "RCBS" for my 375 H&H . I set them up and went to seat the TSX 300 gr. and when I lowered the press the bullet got stuck in the bullet seat and pulled the bullet 1/2 way back out? So I called RCBS they said I would have to get a custom seat plug! So I ordered one $24 and it would 2 weeks and you have to send 3 of the bullets "of witch you won't get back". So after 5 1/2 weeks I got it and you guessed it I had the same problem!!!!!!!!! So after all that I said @#%& and bought a set of Hornadys, got them home and had the same problem!!!!!!!! Any HELP would be Appreciated!
    Long as you have "spare" bullet seating plugs, try this.
    Smoke the end of a bullet and push a seating plug (hand held is fine) down onto the bullet nose till it just touches, then back it off. Look at the contact point on the bullet and compare it to the shape of the seating plug. Now chuck the seating plug into your drill and stick a tapered Dremel bit into the seating plug. Spin the plug with the drill rather than spinning the Dremel. All you're using the Dremel for is a tapered "grinding" tool to work on the spinning seating plug.

Relieve the contact point in the seating plug just a little, and try the smoked bullet again. It shouldn't take much, so be sure to remount the plug in your seating die and try that before removing metal a second time. You can make your own "custom" plug in a few minutes. For no extra cost or long waits.

northern n.y. and much of the eastern U.S.

Default Is it fixed yet..?

I've seen this with the tsx and the RCBS in 300 WSM my dad loads for.

I suggested he try another caliber seating plug. He took the plug out of a 270 win. die and simply threaded it into his 300wsm die.

This accomplishes what BrownBear too was suggesting.., changing the contact point.

You'll get it.

Best to ya,
    Scott

Quote Originally Posted by 358wsm View Post
    I've seen this with the tsx and the RCBS in 300 WSM my dad loads for.

I suggested he try another caliber seating plug. He took the plug out of a 270 win. die and simply threaded it into his 300wsm die.

This accomplishes what BrownBear too was suggesting.., changing the contact point.

You'll get it.

Best to ya,
    Scott

That's a great idea! Only been reloading close to 50 years and hadn't thought of it yet! Should work like a champ.

358wsm sounds like a great Idea! What size should I try 338 or 358?

Perhaps Murphy will chime in - I think he has reloaded for both of these previously and prob has some worthwhile recommendations/suggestions regarding these particular permutations of the "WSM platform".