Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your rifle didnt come w/open sights...scope damaged? Here is a great emergency fix:

Default Your rifle didnt come w/open sights...scope damaged? Here is a great emergency fix:

This method I use might be pretty well accepted amongst the ounce scrapping sheep hunters too. Since a couple of my rifles don't come with open sights.....I didnt want to bring a spare scope along as it was too bulky (even if it was a 1x fixed scope). Instead......I sighted my burris speedot for whatever load and rifle that i'm using and unmounted it. The thing weighs like 1.3 ounces!! I remounted it to see if it kept zero and BAM....right on the money! If ur scope ever goes down folks.....and you dont have open sights....just pull this thing out of the smallest pocket of your pack and continue on with that multi thousand dollar sheep hunt. http://swfa.com/Burris-1x-FastFire-R...ght-P7934.aspx
    Between two rifles......it has kept it's set zero when re-attached. Good for 300 yd. hits.....accurately.

GOOD idea,m. Weaver type base needed?

That looks like a wonderful option for any kind of extended hunt. Thanks for the tip. J.

That won't work in Alaska. Unless they have changed the rules, you cannot use any electronic devices to add you....which unfotunately means the red-dot scope. I don't aggree with this as far as the scopes go, but that is how it has been written in the regs.

Someone correct me if I am wrong or the rules have changed. We just use them for target shooting....not at any animals.

AkBillyBow
    2007 Glacier Bay Cat 2690 Coastal Runner, Twin Honda 150's

AKBilly, I believe you are wrong on this. The only thing it says about electronics in reference to scopes is "electronically-enhanced night vision scope" (ref. pg. 18 regs) and this would not be the case. This sight is A-OK!

If we're talking bowhunting, then anything electronic attached to the bow is a no-go...

The way I understand it ....

If the sight projects a red dot on the target it is not legal ... if the red dot stays within the scope it is legal ....

Quote Originally Posted by AkBillyBow View Post
    That won't work in Alaska. Unless they have changed the rules, you cannot use any electronic devices to add you....which unfotunately means the red-dot scope. I don't aggree with this as far as the scopes go, but that is how it has been written in the regs.

Someone correct me if I am wrong or the rules have changed. We just use them for target shooting....not at any animals.

AkBillyBow
    I believe you may be mistakened. If you refer to pg. 17 of the complete state-wide regs....the only thing that comes close is a "laser sight" ie........a crimson trace "laser projecting sight" and others like it.....which is not to be confused with a red-dot scope which is completely legal. Thanks for pointing that out though bird dog

A red dot isnt much different than a scope with an illuminated reticle. thats legal as long as it doesnt put a laser on the critter, as mentioned above.

Default Crison Trace on hip

If the pistol, on my hip, has crimson trace laser grips, while I'm bear hunting with my .338, or using the men's room in the bush, am I breaking the law?

Default NO

Only if they find out you shot the bear with the pistol. DLP shootings can be done with anything at hand.

A laser gripped pistol is a defensive weapon.

Default Thank you!

I'm spending way too much time on this board getting ready for my October 1st hunt. You guys are very quick with great information.

Thanks again!

Good news...I was wrong. It does say "laser sight", so I would hope the red-dot would be legal. Some clarification might be needed here, as I could see a Fish and Game person with an attitude reading it and enforcing it 100%...which would mean the red -dot would be illegal as it is a laser. I hope not though, as I believe if the sight makes for better placed shots, it means less injured or lost game. That to me makes for better hunting, and it should be allowed.

AkBillyBow
    2007 Glacier Bay Cat 2690 Coastal Runner, Twin Honda 150's

Quote Originally Posted by AkBillyBow View Post
    Good news...I was wrong. It does say "laser sight", so I would hope the red-dot would be legal. Some clarification might be needed here, as I could see a Fish and Game person with an attitude reading it and enforcing it 100%...which would mean the red -dot would be illegal as it is a laser. I hope not though, as I believe if the sight makes for better placed shots, it means less injured or lost game. That to me makes for better hunting, and it should be allowed.

AkBillyBow
    That's where the confusion on this issue comes from. There have been reports of people running into law enforcers who don't understand this law.

Default look at it this way

a laser whether projected onto a target or onto a screen inside a scope is concentrated light..mostly if not always in this case powered by a battery.....laser=light, battery=artificial........so in this context both projected lasers and red dot scopes...even illuminated reticles, assuming they take batteries, are illegal for hunting purposes
    "early to bed, early to rise, fish like hell, and make up lies"

funny that we discuss this every year, some times multiple times per year but I never see a BOG prop put in to clarify it. Perhaps this needs to be taken up for the next state wide proposal period. I have heard it go both ways from the wildlife troopers stand point. It seems clear that the purpose of the law is to prevent spotlighting game, but in it's current wording there is certainly some grey area.

Remember, it doesn't say "projected laser sight," or anything of that nature. Just "laser sight." A red dot scope is a laser. Don't get me wrong, I think this is a huge gray area. I spent about 30 minutes today reading and re-reading that exact section.

Quote Originally Posted by lab man View Post
    Remember, it doesn't say "projected laser sight," or anything of that nature. Just "laser sight." A red dot scope is a laser. Don't get me wrong, I think this is a huge gray area. I spent about 30 minutes today reading and re-reading that exact section.
    A red dot sight is a "reflex" sight which only reflects the dot internally while a laser sight actually projects a beam of light out to the target. A reflex sight is perfectly legal in Alaska but many Fish and Game people aren't aware of it.

I was taught that if your scope is broken for whatever reason, to remove it and uses your parralex vision;
    Move your rifle to the off mid chest/shoulder or crane your neck untill your directly over the barrel and look at your target with both eyes open. Place your target between your "double vision" barrel end and do some wildassguessing as to the proper elevation.
    Suprizingly enough I shot a 30-06 this way and was on target in two rounds, and hitting well within "Caribou chest shot" placement, at about 120 yards.

Extend your arm and pointer finger out and aim at something with both eyes open , then close each eye seperatly, and you will see what I mean.

Gladly, I never use a scope, only open sights, but it sure beats packing an extra scope or gadget of any sort.

No iron sights on any "Alaskan" hunting rifle is just not smart. My dad is though, and Im glad he taught me that trick.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Default stigmatism

Stranger, the trouble with that is some folks have a stigmatism and that leads to misalignment of vision. Some are worse than others and most can be fixed with glasses.

I will try it though with my open sight rifle.

Default Call to clarify

I would think a quick call to a local F&G Office would clear up any controversy. I would say the intent of the law was to preclude the use of a projected light beam. Any illuminated reticle coming from a battery or ambient light only aids in target acquisition.
    I am sure someone can make the call.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast