Thread: Salmon canning tutorial

Thumbs up Salmon canning tutorial

I know that many people are familiar with the publications on salmon canning available from the UAF Extension service, but perhaps this is new to some folks out there. I canned up my first batch of jars last night and found the following flash tutorial to be helpful. It's quite basic and to the point, but that's what I was looking for specifically. What a great service UAF provides to the state!

http://www.uaf.edu/ces/preservingala...y/canningfish/

Very true, Brian. I found UAF's jelly-making info very helpful, too. Great resource.
    Palmer, Alaska
    "There are some things money can buy. For everything else, there's ALASKA!"

Originally Anchor Point, AK but in Kodiak now!

Default awesome

Thanks a lot Brian for the wealth of knowledge! Awesome tutorial!

Rob

Thanks for posting the link to the tutorial. I canned (jarred) my first 30 jars of king salmon last week, turned out great. Sure makes good salmon spread, so far everyone has enjoyed snacking on it before meals.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

canning fish rules...

easy fish like tuna...

CLEAN JARS/CLEAN LIDS

stuff Salmon in after rinsing and letting drain 15 min.

leave 1/2 inch from top of jar attach lids hand tight.

insert in canner...

add 1" water

bring to boil until steam is NON stop out of vent...

add cap..

brig to 10 pounds of pressure.

keep at 10 pounds for 110 min...
    turn off heat let cool to zero pounds...

set jars on towel on counter listen for pops...

one batch= 3 hours

i have two canners... one heating one cooling...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I like to give my Salmon a LIGHT smoke and a slice of Serrano Pepper. I skin it and debone it. Even though the bones get super soft in the canning process.....I just don't care for the crunchyness. If you like a little saltier flavor, add celery tops. Be cautious when smoking or adding flavors, the canning process seems to enhance these qualities.

Follow the prescribed times and you can't go wrong.

After filleting our king salmon, we smoked them in our smokehouse for one day then I skinned them, when I packed the fish into the jars added some Mrs Dash rather than salt, turned out good. Believe one day of cold smoking was just enough, two days would have been a lil much. My daughter even took last season's salmon strips and canned them in jars too, had to fill the jars with water so the strips would hydrate during the canning process, we tried a few where we filled the jars half full and the strips were still a lil hard on the top ends. My kids, nephews and nieces really enjoyed eating them right out of the jar after they were done. Couldn't believe how fast they disappeared.

Default yummy

WE did some with Japaleno peppers last summer and it was a hit all winter. down to the last few jars so hope the reds come in hot and heavy. Have the smoker fixed for cooler smoking so am excited to try that. Just wish it was bigger maybe next year!

From a friend's suggestion, I tried canning smoked salmon (lightly smoked, pretty moist) with a smashed clove of garlic and some jalapeno slices in each jar. Pretty yummy combination! Makes great salmon patties, too.

Chris