Thread: zipvac anyone?

Default zipvac anyone?

I read a review in a magazine on the zip vac the other day and just looked at the website. It looks like a prtty good product. With all this talk about foodsavers crapping out on people I think I'm going to order one of these. At only $30 for the starer kit I dont think you could go wrong. Pus you can use it in the field.

Anyone tried one of these? If so whats the report?

Website is zip-vac.com if you want to check it out.

I have a similar one.
    http://www.reynoldspkg.com/reynoldsk...7&prod_id=3918

It's "ok", I had some trout in some I caught late last year, and noticed after a while it lost some of its seal and started getting air in it, ate the fish right away once I noticed. I still have some trout in some I got while ice fishing that are doing fine so maybe was just a bum bag.

Quote Originally Posted by jsonn View Post
    I read a review in a magazine on the zip vac the other day and just looked at the website. It looks like a prtty good product. With all this talk about foodsavers crapping out on people I think I'm going to order one of these. At only $30 for the starer kit I dont think you could go wrong. Pus you can use it in the field.

Anyone tried one of these? If so whats the report?

Website is zip-vac.com if you want to check it out.
    We were given a setup and put it through it's paces. Convenient yes, but nowhere near as reliable as the bags from a foodsaver. Not saying foodsavers are even good. We hate them, so that tell you what we think of zipvacs.

We finally got something last year that beats the pants off foodsaver. It's a Pro-2300. Houseguests picked it up somewhere in Anchorage for right at $500. It has two vacuum pumps, a wider seal strip, stainless steel body and heavy chamber. Does one bag several times faster than foodsaver, and best of all, it's wide enough to do two bags at once. It can do two bags in less than half the time a foodsaver can do one. The seals are about twice as wide as those from foodsaver, and we didn't lose a single seal all winter. How can you beat that.

Best of all it came with a spare heat tape, and spare parts are available right in Anchorage. Haven't needed them and didn't buy it ourselves, so no idea where in Anchorage it came from. But even at twice the price of a foodsaver, it's more than twice the machine. No more foodsavers in our house. Ever.

I use a ziplock vacuum thing. It is a hand pump you can pick up at Fred Meyer for like $5 or something. It is kind-of handy for leftovers but it doesn't always hold a seal. It works great to infuse dry rub into fish or meat though. It definately works better than the reynolds one. It doesn't use batteries and you can just throw it in your pack.