Thread: Spots to dipnet within hiking distance on the copper?

Default Spots to dipnet within hiking distance on the copper?

I've always been lucky enough to dipnet from a boat but it doesn't look like it's gonna happen this year.I don't have a 4-wheeler so i'm wondering if there are many spots to dip that are within hiking distance from where you can park.I'm planning to head down next weekend but was hopeing to get a little info.Thanks

Default Secret Fishing Holes

Get on Google Earth and you can scout all kinds of potential places that you can walk to.

People generally don't like to give out their favorite places. I'm sure you can understand why.

Thanks,i'll try it out.I'm not looking for anybodys spots ,just curious if there are any so I don't make a wasted trip.I'm sure what few spots there probobaly are get taken up pretty quick but I really have no idea what to expect.

Yes, many folks walk in to dip, myslef included for 3 years. The main thing is to simply find a good eddy that will hold your net open. If your not catching fish, try a different spot nearby. Sometimes just moving 20 ft down the shore can make the difference. Try fishing different depths with your net as well. Just try different depths and spots until you start catching fish. I have gone with friends who just sit their butt down and don't move, they caught like 3 fish and I caught my limit because I moved around unitl I started catching fish. That's been my experience, good luck.

awsome,thats what I was looking for.Thanks I appriciate it!

I concur with all of the above. Some spots you just have to time right to get a chance. I was just there and where I had planned to fish was full of people that were pretty well camped out and not looking like they were leaving soon, so I had to move on. River was still a little high, so where we were there were really no other good holes with a steady up-stream flow.

We ended up spending day two in a beautiful spot thanks to the charter...but I would have liked to not have had to spend that extra money. On the other hand, we limited out in about 4 hours, so it was worth it to me.

I think a lot of it depends on how far you're willing to walk and how much work you're willing to put into it. I recommend being in at least decent physical shape, because if you get your fish you are going to be carrying a lot of weight and probably several trips packing them out. The hole I was trying the first night is a pretty easy and short walk from the road, but it would not have been fun to haul 30 fish out from no matter how I look at it....lol.

I'm planning on useing my pack frame and lining it with heavy duty contractor grade trash bags to pack them out.Any one else ever do this or have a better way?I'm young and in good physical shape but i'm gonna be a little pressed for time so i've got my fingers crossed I can get lucky and find a decent spot.Thanks

Default Packing fish

If you are packing fish, it might be easier if you use one of those game carts. You could put a pretty good sized cooler on it and maybe pack all your fish in one or two trips without everything being on your back.

As far as places to fish, try any of the "goat" trails off the main trail. These are places other people have gone down numerous times for fish. This is how I found my "perfect spot." Also, don't be discouraged by others fishing in a spot because if the fish are there, they will get their limit and leave. If the fish are not there, then you can try other places where the fish may be moving.

Good luck and let us know how you did.

CubeCove

Quote Originally Posted by cubecove View Post
    Also, don't be discouraged by others fishing in a spot because if the fish are there, they will get their limit and leave. If the fish are not there, then you can try other places where the fish may be moving.

Good luck and let us know how you did.

CubeCove
    The only thing I would add to that is to ask the other folks how they are doing and how many fish they are going for. Where we went, they had about 20 fish, but had proxies and were going for 120....lol. That could have been a long wait.

Default Hiking in

a couple thoughts

First. Many people use some sort of cart or bike to help with their haul. If you are determined to hike in, this may be an option. I woudl also suggest getting the type of pole that is collapsible (blue one at Frontier SPorting Goods in FB). This way you can break it down and make it easier to carry. THe amount of gear requried to dip piles up quick. Especially water and rope.

Second, there are MANY spots to hike into and on any given day at any given hour any of them can and do produce. As stated, look for an eddy that is pushing water upstream or a good boil that is surging up and down, those up surges often hold fish. The walk in isnt too bad, it will get you warmed up, the walk out with fish, will make you very tired, sore and appreciative of your haul come December.

I have used plastic bags in my pack.. heavy gauge.. it will not work very well. Better off getting some burlap bags (or synthetic burlap) from Alaska feed company ($.25 ea) and putting your FILETS in those, then put them in the burlap in plastic, then in your pack.

Dont forget to fillet the fish. any less weight the better!

I just use large game bags. Probably about the same as burlap.

And YES...fillet before you carry....

Last year my wife and I hiked in to the canyon at Chitina. She had my assualt pack with extra clothes and food and water. I packed in hip waders, climbing rope and gear and some life jackets as well as the net and poles and beatin stick. We hiked in about 5 miles. I brought back 5 reds and a king. I degilled and gutted them but didnt fillet them as it was windy and sandy down there. This would have saved on weight, but no biggy. I used two huge ziploc bags for the fish and had no problem with leakage. Have fun.

Sapper 2-6