Thread: Boat based black bear hunt

Default Boat based black bear hunt

What area or port would you consider the best for a boat based black bear hunt? Any insights, or specific reasonings reguarding your suggestions would be greatly appreciated. My 14 year old daughter is begging me to go to alaska with me and get one.

Thumbs up Southeast...

First, there really isn't any bad coastal hunts. All coastal black bear hunts are good, some are great.

To see the most black bears and possible the biggest (average biggest), I would concentrate on coastal hunts in Southeast AK. Contact forum member Muskeg. Johnny is a licensed registered guide-outfitter and he might be able to work with you, or guide you towards sombody who can.

If you are looking for a good do-it-yourself coastal hunt, contact forum member Homerdave, licensed transporter working out of Homer.

Forum menber brwnbr, aka Jake Jefferson, is not a coastal-boat based guide-outfitter service, I don't think, but produces fine bears and might have other suggestions for you.

Dennis
    Alaska True Adventure Guide Service

Default top 2

Whittier - if you want to be in port < 2hrs after getting off the plane in Anchorage.

Valdez - Just for the sheer beauty of the place. About a 6hr drive from Anchorage, or a 60 min short flight.

I have not been to any of the ports further south - these are the only two I'm familiar with - I'm sure others will chime in.

There are lots of transporters and guides operating out of both. Enjoy your trip. Be safe. Have fun.

Nate

Default thank for the input

Thanks guys I appreciate you responding. I did really think that I would get a little more input on this. Does anyone have any specific vessel based outfitters that they would recommend?

Default Details

Want to rent a boat do it your self, full guided hunt, drop off hunt. Juneau, Sitka is an option. Whittier where I go! Homer with added Halibut fishing. Or go way far away to a village, or a small village like directly across the inlet from Anchorage. Add what your idea is and you may get more info, no one can predict your thoughts, or wants. There are many many ways of doing it and with a coast line larger than the whole lower 48 states lots of options.

I am not sure how good it is to bring a little girl on a boat with 4 other men in cramped conditions. I am sure she would be fine, but would probably be quite an inconvenience for the other men on the boat. I've never been on a boat hunt quite yet so maybe I am wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by alaskapiranha View Post
    Want to rent a boat do it your self, full guided hunt, drop off hunt. Juneau, Sitka is an option. Whittier where I go! Homer with added Halibut fishing. Or go way far away to a village, or a small village like directly across the inlet from Anchorage. Add what your idea is and you may get more info, no one can predict your thoughts, or wants. There are many many ways of doing it and with a coast line larger than the whole lower 48 states lots of options.
    I guess maybe you are right. I'm looking for a boat based hunt where we can live on the boat and hunt from that, unguided so that I can afford to take my daughter. I'm not looking to rent a boat. I want something that offers lots of opportunity cruising the beautiful coastline for nice size backies, and some fishing would be a plus. I'm looking for a SEASONED captain/outfitter that has a proven track record and kid friendly. I looking for some insight as to better areas of success, areas that may generally have better weather, maybe some that tend to cost a little less, outfitter that has better gear and nicer boat, insight into things that I may not be thinking about. What coastal area or port would provide good success the 1st week of June. Is there any pros or cons going the first week of June?

Quote Originally Posted by bht-kevin View Post
    I am not sure how good it is to bring a little girl on a boat with 4 other men in cramped conditions. I am sure she would be fine, but would probably be quite an inconvenience for the other men on the boat. I've never been on a boat hunt quite yet so maybe I am wrong.
    That is why i'm looking now for something now that might be a little larger so its not cramped or a smaller one that limits it's number of hunters. To be honest, I'm not really concerned about other hunters, that is the captains job!! I am looking for one that is kid friendly and thought of advertising for hunting partners that wanted to take their family/ kids or men that are of a christian mind set and true sportmens and not fowl mouthed drunken salior types going to get drunk....I've seen plenty of hunting shows that had this type of hunting where the outfit was family owned and operated.

I'm also looking into one other option with a friend that lives in alaska and hunting with him and his daughter in PWS.

Again, any help or insight would be greatly appreciated.

Try Homer Ocean Charters and Alaska Coastal Marine. Both located in Homer, Alaska.

i hunted this april with KEEGAN McCARTHY, OCEANPOINT ADVENTURE, i cannot say enough how hard this young man hunts, the good equipment, and food, very comfortable boat ( big boat for sleeping and eatting ), and his power skiffs for cruising, Note , he is listed in the Cabelas OutdoorAventure under high success alaska boat hunts. this man knows how to hunt, run an outfitting business, well worth every penny you will ever spend on a hunting trip. saw lots of wildlife, whales, eagles otters, seals etc. and a good amount of bears, i got a 7 footer, with a 19 inch skull, send a private message if you want to exchange emails for more info. TONY V.

Lightbulb bear hunt

...just thinking here...
    You might shoot a Pm to forum member goeaux.
    I believe he has some knowledge and rental properties and rental gear on Prince Of Wales Island, some of the best black bear country in AK.
    If he can not help you, perhaps he could suggest somebody who can.

dennis

Default ninilchik charters

http://www.ninilchik.com/
    an example of an outfitter that provides what you are looking for...

I do boat based hunts on POW Island . That being said you are going to spend more renting a boat that size than you ever would paying for a hunt, also better have a tonnage license. There are two ways to hunt off of boats in southeast guided and unguided. By law a unguided hunt you use the boat as transportation to a location you choose and you hunt by yourself and take care of skinning and all care on your own. Guided hunts porvide meals and all care of trophy and take you to hunting locations. Prince of Wales Island is the top trophy spot for Blacks in Alaska followed by Kuiu and Kupreanof island all in southeast alska . Prince Wialliam sound and other coastal areas are also good . Any time you are hunting off a boat expenses will be a issue cost much more to run a boat . Plus you need a good dependable skiff to cruise around in with all the safety equipment.
    James Phillips Annahootz Alaskan Adventures annahootz.com

I did the exact hunt you are talking about just last week. I took my wife and 8 month old baby. I used Brad and Minnie Dennison of Alaska Coastal Outfitters. They are very family oriented and I'm sure they would work with you for accomadations. We flew into Juneau and then took an Air Taxi to a small village called Kake on Kupreanof Island. We hunted Kupreanof and Kuiu Island. It was My wife baby and I and another couple on this trip. The boat is 50' with 5 rooms and 2 bath rooms. I couldn't have asked for anything better. I hope it helps.

Brad and Minnie would be a good choice and I say this because I work with Brad on his fall hunts and used to assistant guide with him before I got a guide license. Just remember boat based guided hunts are going to be $4,000 to $5,000 per hunter and a daily rate for none hunters. Some are more but wouldn't pay any more than $5,000 also you will pay for the float plane if you are flying into Craig or Kake. this is deffinatly the best way to hunt bear in Southeast Alaska you are mobile and fishing and crabbing is included in most of these hunts. As a boat based guide I would not match up a family with single guys. James Phillips Annahootz Alaskan Adventures annahootz.com

Why would you go boat based, not that there is anything wrong with that? POW has some good land based hunts for rifle hunters if you want to do it yourself durig the same time period. Talk to Johnny Laird and see what he thinks as well. He might be able to give you some other options that might be a little more personal. With a youth hunter I think the two of you might have a much richer experience not being part of a group of unrelated people. That way she gets all the time she needs to fill her tag and then gets to revel in the glory of that moment without having to move on so the other hunters can fill their tags. Just my opinion but if possible, you guys might have a much more memorable experience if you make it a one on one hunt.

Check out this guys web page, he describes his hunt

http://www.alphatrilogy.com/my-trips...-hunt-fishing/

"This trip to Alaska was an awesome experience for Caleb (my 12 year old son) and I. We both had a blast and canít wait for our next great father/son hunting and fishing trip together. Hunting spring Coastal Black Bears in Alaska with my bow and Caleb and Chad was a blast. I would definitely do it again and Iíd use Keegan McCarty of Ocean Point Adventures. In fact, Iím considering booking a Fall 2008 hunt with him."