Thread: Can't bore sight new Savage.

Default Can't bore sight new Savage.

I bought a new F111 youth 270 for my daughter and a pro staff Nikon 3x9x40. I bought leupold bases and rings. I tried lows and mediums and when I went to bore sight it I have maxxed out the elevation and it's still showing about 8" high. I am at a lost as to why and what to do. Any thoughts or insights would be appreciated

Try using Burris Signature rings. They can be purchased from Brownells and they can be purchased with different height inserts in the rings.
    Tennessee

I'd boresight it the old fashion way. I'd take the bolt out of the gun and put a bi-pod on the front sling stud. Then position the gun so that you can look down the bore and see a distant object. I usually prop the gun up on the kitchen table and look through the bore at a distant street light or something brite that easy to see through the bore. Center this object in the bore just like you are using the bore as a peep sight. You'll have to prop stuff under the butt stock or bipod so that you have the object fixed dead center in the center of the bore without having to hold onto the gun. Then adjust the scope to the same object. If you can do this then something is wrong with your bore sighter set up. If you can't then you have a bad scope or your front and back rings aren't of the same height or something! The receiver on the gun can't be off vertically and if the mount fits tight at all anchor points and the screw holes line up then you got the right mount!

Default did it

Well it was the bore sight set up. I have the cabelas one that has the multiple rods for the barrel. I went to the range this morning and did the poor mans bore sight and got it right on. I really never considered the possibility that there was a problem with the tool. My daughter will be very happy now that she will be able to shoot her new rifle. Thanks for the input guys.