Thread: odd question

Default odd question

I am crossing Canada to get to Alaska, so bringing my own rifle is out. Is there anyway to rent a rifle in Alaska?

Why is bringing your own rifle out? I crossed the border with 3 rifles and had no problems.

You can bring a rifle through Canada, you do have to pay a fee. You could also mail it to yourself General delivery to the post office in the city of Alaska you are traveling to. I don't know of anyone renting rifles, if you are using a guide they may have a loaner rifle.

Have a great trip.

Steve

Default bad idea

There would be no way in heck that I would be spending all the time and money to travel to alaska for a hunt to trust a weapon that I had not spent plenty of time shooting myself. You are just asking for trouble Take either stid2677 or akhunt45 suggestions.

"You could also mail it to yourself General delivery to the post office in the city of Alaska you are traveling to."

Well I don't think that mailing your firearem is legal. You can however send them Gunstore to Gunstore. Easiest way would be to just drive them up through Canada, pay the fee to have them registered in Canada. Not that big of a deal. I don't think they alow handguns.

Good luck
    -Caleb-

Quote Originally Posted by Noble Killer View Post
    "You could also mail it to yourself General delivery to the post office in the city of Alaska you are traveling to."

Well I don't think that mailing your firearem is legal. You can however send them Gunstore to Gunstore. Easiest way would be to just drive them up through Canada, pay the fee to have them registered in Canada. Not that big of a deal. I don't think they alow handguns.

Good luck
    Not true on both accounts.
    1) You CAN mail rifles to yourself general delivery via the US Post Office.
    2) You Can NOT mail handguns via US Post Office
    Quote Originally Posted by 18 U.S.C. 922(a)(4) and 922(e), 27 CFR 478.28 and 478.31
    (B9) May a nonlicensee ship firearms interstate for his or her use in hunting or other lawful activity?
    Yes. A person may ship a firearm to himself or herself in care of another
    person in the State where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other
    lawful activity. The package should be addressed to the owner. Persons
    other than the owner should not open the package and take possession of
    the firearm.
    3) You CAN transport handguns and rifles through Canada provided the handgun is not a 25 or 32 caliber and it has a barrel length greater than 105mm (4.1"). The permit fee is $50.

Do a search for Canadian Memorandum G19-13-2 to see all the specifics. My brother and dad are coming up this September for a hunt and are transporting their rifles and two Encore pistol frames through Canadian customs. There's a bit of paperwork to complete, but the transportation permit is probably cheaper than the cost of shipping a firearm, and you know it's going to arrive without being damaged

You can also UPS or FEDEX pistols over night to yourself in Alaska and avoid the extra paperwork for Canadian customs. Taking long guns through Canada is a cinch just go to their customs website download the correct forms fill them out ahead of time and declare the guns at the border then go inside and present your paperwork then pay the fee and go on your way.

If they are all rifles or shotguns with barrels of legal length then there is no problem. You will need to print off the froms from the Canadian customs website. DO NOT sign the forms, but just fill them out a head of time. The customs officials will want to see you sign them in person. There is a fee of $25-50. You will need to stop at the American customs before leaving to register the guns so you can bring them back into the US. Neither the US or Canadian customs asked or wanted for that matter to see any 1 of my 6 weapons that came through. It was not a big deal at all. I was told to call the actually port of entry offices that I planned to drive through to see what they expected. I think this is good advice. Some places may be more rigid that others, so it's good to know what they will want.

Brett