Thread: Preparation and care of upland birds and fish

Queensbury in upstate NY

Default Preparation and care of upland birds and fish

My son and I are coming to Alaska in late August to hunt ptarmigan, ruffed and spruce grouse and fish for salmon, grayling, etc.

What's the best way to prepare birds and fish for shipment home?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Dave Collins

wasilla ak

Default what do you plan on doing with them

are they for food of for getting mounted?

the birds.....if you want to eat them you can skin them, pluck them, or just breast them out.....if you want to taxidermy them i would suggest you buy some lady's nylons to put them in....leaving them whole stick them in head first and let it go to the bottom...if you have more than one you can tie a knot above the first bird and place a second....then i would freeze them....if you want to eat and taxidermy can make a careful incision along the breast bone and carefully remove the breasts, be careful not to tear or cut the skin or the quills of the feathers under the can go ahead and gut them here too....them you can put what is left in the nylons like mentioned before....if you have done this be sure to make your taxidermist aware as they will not last as long in the freezer as they would whole....also you may be charged more if you screwed anything up cutting....

fish talking about salmon/trout first....for eating i would fillet them and have them vacuum packed and frozen for can get shipping boxes for frozen things at the ups store or other places or if you have them commercially packed and frozen they usually have deals or whatever for shipping for taxidermy.....take lots and lots of pictures and measure from tip of nose to end of tail and around the largest diameter of the body....usually just before or after the dorsal fin......if you want a skin mount i would leave it whole....but if you want a replica take even more pictures and enjoy a nice meal...if you plan to bring any fish home whole for taxidermy...put them head first into garbage bag that will completely cover the fish...then push out all the air form head to tail...making sure all the fins are laid back naturally....then fold the bag over carefully not folding the tail too and tape it closed.....then wrap the fish thickly with news paper and freeze it quickly....

as for the the grayling.... they are a very delicate fish.....if i plan on catching grayling that day i usually get some aluminum foil, make a 18-20 inch envelope and put some butter, onions and lemon slices or whatever in it and stick it in the cooler with some seasonings nearby....then while i'm fishing i put them on a stringer of some kind and keep them alive until i get a couple nice ones 14-18 inches long or four or six 10 inchers....then i run gut em real quick and run back to the truck or camp and fire up the grill, season the fish, tuck them in the envelope and cook them til they flake for taxidermy.....unless you can freeze them right now and keep them frozen.....take lots of pictures/measurements and get a nice repo...

hopefully you and son get into some fish and birds......and have a great time in the state

"early to bed, early to rise, fish like hell, and make up lies"

soon to be back in Alaska

Shark prety much covered it. Depending on where you will be hunting and fishing there are stores that will vacuum pack, freeze, store, and ship your catch.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.