Thread: New top

Default New top

Yesterday I logged 1.3 hrs breaking in new cyclinders and rings. Flying at high power setting in summer haze with cbs building while watching oil pressure/temp and looking for off airport landing sites gives great meaning to multitasking. fun stuff and great practice for a lowtimer!

Default Just a thought

Should you not do that all the time, at least if you do not know the area? Once you dead stick it in, you will always make it a bigger priority.

Terry

Terry I totally agree but I have never done all of that while paying that much attention to the powerplant operation. I know the area like the back of my hand having lived here for 55 years. I also have rode a 172 down into the water so I know how that feels as well.

Breaking a new engine in by circling the airfield at a safe altitude is boring. I can't take more than about 3 circuits before I point it out over the water and go.

Whose cylinders did you use? New or re-worked? The airplane cylinder topic is always interesting.

mr.Pid, cylinders were rebuilds from Gibsons in Ok. We did about 3 laps around the field and then started flying laps about 10 miles each way. Viz was up and down but it was interesting the first time out with new parts. Hope to do some more tommorrow.

Whats the best way to break in a new top overhaul, and how many hours before you consider it "broke in" 25 hr??

Are you using mineral oil?

I picked up a plane down by arizona to ferry it back here... It had a couple new cylinders that had to be broken in. I remember how the RPMS and power sudden ly jumped a few times as the rings seated....

I flew break-in mineral oil up to Williams Lake BC and then changed over to regular straight weight... By the time I got back to Alaska (about 37 hours due to snow storms) the new cylinders were pretty well broken in for the new owner...
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Default New Top

Affirmative on the straight mineral oil. Have about 6 hrs at high power so far and looks good. I need a xcountry now but the weather is not good enough for that.

The last new motor and the last two times I've had single cylinder replacements I've used Phillips XC 20/50 for break-in. It's the same oil I use every day. The break-in went perfectly. And the last new motor was on a different airplane than the new cylinders.

Default + phillips 20/50

I just got done breaking in a 0-320 yesterday. Due to scheduling I had to break it in in only a couple of days. Lots of flying. We use the phillips 20-50 in all our aircraft and I have nothing but good things to say about it. The boss wanted to save money and switched to straight weight last summer but after 200 hours on the aircraft we had to replaced 3 cylinders. Since we switched back no problems in 1,000 hours on the fleet.

Could be a reason that Phillips is a buck more a quart at my FBO. I Did the mineral oil for breakin per the overhaul manuals instructions.

Default break in

If you read the break in instructions on the eci cylinders they say phillips 20-50 is a mineral based oil and is recommended for break in

It works with Millenniums, too.

It's especially handy for cylinder replacements. Break them in using your regular oil.