Thread: A couple more packrafting trips

Default A couple more packrafting trips

This float was a mission to rescue a couple friends abandoned raft on the Windy Creek. They had planned to float the creek out in a little $60 walmart special with dinky little paddles and quickly found out after about 2 miles that not being able to steer is kind of a problem. So my wife and I hiked in and found their raft and rolled it up amazed that they even attempted the creek with their setup. However, it was a ball in the packrafts. Had to stop to empty my boat out 3 times due to water filling it, but my wife and her spray skirt did just time. We were able to find the raft on the river bank and roll it and the other gear up and strap it to the rafts and return it to our friends mission accomplished.

Here are a few pics:

The put it.

This series was shot as I had to pull over after a while to dump the water out of my boat and I snapped a few shots of my wife with a smug smile on her face in the 2nd shot gloating with her spary skirt.

Raft rescued and strapped to the packraft.

A couple on board shots. Sorry the pic quality is low but it finally got dull enough to allow me to take a couple pics.

On the mellow portion towards the end.

Good job on the raft rescue. Everyone should have the opportunity to paddle a cheap raft. I have a ton of beer floats in CA in one. The difference between that and a high quality whitewater raft is night and day.

Default Very nice!

Way to go hauling out the would be trash. Looks like a nice ride.

Nice pics!

Where is Windy Creek?

Windy creek runs out of DNP West of Cantwell and dumps in to the Jack river. The last picture is of them in the Jack, less than a mile from where it dumps into the Nenana (just downstream of where you cross the Nenana on the highway)

Default put in?

is there a trail or road to the put in or did you just bushwack it? How many hrs round trip was it?
    Thanks for the great posts.

Yeah there is a trail to the put-in, leaving the west end of town. Passes into DNP lands and then you can float very near the Parks Highway.

Yeah the put in is about 4 miles in on a trail that leaves from the west side of Cantwell (yes Cantwell is big enough to have sides ). We parked the truck at the take out (mouth of Jack River), biked 8 miles to the trail head, hiked the 4 miles to the put in on the trail, and floated the 5+ miles back to the truck. The whole little triatholon took a little less than 4 hours.

So I guess I titled this thread a COUPLE more packrafting trips, but time and internet access didn't allow to post some other trips we've taken the past week or so.

So the first packraft trip this time home was down the Brushkana River off of the Denali Hwy. It was quite shallow and really can't see how anything other than packrafts or kayaks could get down with the current water levels unless a LOT of dragging is involved. Anyways, it was a little splashy fun boulder dodging and what not and camping about 1.5 miles above the mouth of the Brushkana and caught 20-25 greyling apiece in no time at all.

We put in at the bridge on the Denali Hwy and floated down to the mouth where it dumps in the Nenana and then floated the Nenana until we thought we were close enough to the road where we stashed our bikes and peddled back to the truck.

Here are a few pics from the trip.

Dinner for one night.

Camp on the river

Very mellow float near the mouth

Also used them to cross a excellent Lake Trout fishing lake 12 miles off the Denali Hwy. Whoever said the Yukon Yak was too small to haul two people. Granted my sis in the bow is MAYBE breaking into the triple digits in weight.