Thread: 5 wt for reds?

Default 5 wt for reds?

I'm new to flyfishing and am going to Coho Cove, Kasilof this weekend. I have spinning rods I'm taking but picked up 2 cheap wallie world 5 wt rods I'm taking.
    Would these be ok for reds? I basically clueless about flyfishing but what the heck, I like being outside.
    Also, what flies would be suggested? I picked up some beads and have some russian river flies I've yet to use.
    Any advice would be appreciated.
    Thanx!

Default Not really

Sorry to say fresh river run reds and wallie world 5W fly rods are not the bets combo not syaing it can not be done just not the best tool for the job! Being that you can catch fish with a wooden stick it is not that they are Wallie World rods that is your main concern. The fact that they are 5W just a little under-gunned i.e. taking a 22 pistol to a bear fight type under gunned.

As you progress you might want to consider a 7/8 W for fishing reds much more possible to land them that way without breaking your fishing stick.

Flies - Basic Stuff for the type of fishing your going to be accomplishing at this time.

Coho Fly - Russian River
    Flesh Fly for bows you have the bead thing which is cool
    Standard Gammy's with Yarn aka Flossing works as well for reds.

Nothing more special needed unless you change the type of fish your chasing.

Tight Lines and Best Wishes

Blue Moose

Default Thanks BlueMoose

I thought they may be a little light. My concern is that they would hurt the fish or muck them up somehow. Something I don't want since I try to teach my kids to do the right thing.
    Spin rods it is this weekend!
    Thanks again

Chuck - Your 5 weight rods will be perfect for pinks, which just so happen to be a great fish for kids. Once mid-July rolls around, give them a shot on the pinks and have fun!

Hey Chuck. Just because you saw my video of me catching reds on my 6 wt and june on her 5 wt does not mean you can .

It has taken me a long time to be able to do that plus I have to be in an area without a lot of people to work them. In the crowd zone Ill use my 8wt to control the fish.
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

I would have to say that an 8 would be a better option as well. You can land them on a 5, but its going to take some time. If you plan to release them then you definately do not want to use a 5, they will expend far too much energy.

Default Alright...

maybe I'll take the "girly-man" pole and give it a shot for reds. If we catch a few they'll certainly be eaten.
    Coho Cove has lots of open bank around the bend so I'm not to worried about crowds.
    AKChuck, what should I use at the end?
    This noob needs all the help he can get

If you are new to fishing, I would warn you not to use a 5wt rod. A 7/8 would do it and if in a big current, it would barely be enough.

Cheers,

Matt

Default undergunned

another issue with using a 5 wt is all the people around you. While fishing reds at Bings a guy comes running down the bank with a average sized red. He must'a run 30 or 40 yards down river, yelling, "sorry guys,the rod is more important than the fish!" He ran through about 20 people trying to stop his fish on a little 5/6 wt. I thought it was funny, but the majority of people yelled things like, "like I give a @#$% 'bout yer rod...get outt'a the way, jerko!!"

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckD View Post
    maybe I'll take the "girly-man" pole and give it a shot for reds. If we catch a few they'll certainly be eaten.
    Coho Cove has lots of open bank around the bend so I'm not to worried about crowds.
    AKChuck, what should I use at the end?
    This noob needs all the help he can get

Coho flies with enough weight about 18 inches above it to get it to the bottom. Look and see what people are doing that are catching fish and copy them. There is a reason they are catching fish. You have my number feel free to call and ask anything
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Start with a russian fly or coho fly and 18-24 inches above the hook put a 3/0 sinker or 2. If you keep getting snagge on the bottom use less weight If you never feel the bottom then use more.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

Between the Willapa Rivers, United States

Talking Before the Fly

Chuck D
    Hopefully you have that cast off your leg by now.If you remember ,we talked at the bridge on the Ninilchick last month during the good clam tides.I had my mini-drift boat in the back of a silver F-150.
    As far as what goes above your fly.........so far no one has addressed that part of your question yet.Sockeye salmon are very good fighters,they will put a 5 wt outfit thru its paces.Okay,you have a few suggestions for flies that are all good,but what goes above that ?To keep things simple at this stage may I suggest that you connect your fly of choice to at least 12 lb test for a leader (I like Maxima).If you have an 8' pole go with 8' of leader Again to keep things simple for now.Connect your leader to your fly line.My preference is to use a floating line,but others might suggest a sinking tip line to get down to where the fish are quicker.Make sure your fly line is connected to plenty of backing (at least 100 yds of 20 lb test will work) and tie your backing to the arbor of your reel.Of course this is all said in reverse of how it is all connected but hopefully this will help you put it all together.
    Best of luck at Crooked Creek .Hope you find some of them reds and maybe even luck out and hook into a big nasty king.......See ya on the river
    Mark

Default Chickened out!

Mark,
    yes I remember you in Ninilchik. Yes that dang brace is finally off. What a pain! My wife didn't like the taste of the clams. "too clammy" is what she said, lol.
    We fished the Kasilof on Friday and Sat with no luck at all.
    Sunday we left bright and early and stopped at most of the campgrounds along the way back north and upon hitting the Kenai/Russian confluence my wife suggested stopping for reds.
    It's my 1st time ever fishing for reds. I checked what was being used and watched a bit before going out. With the combat closeness of the people I used a regular rod since I didn't want to cause any trouble getting drug around. I cauight a couple before need ing to head out but had a blast.
    If there wasn't so many people I probably give it a go.
    I think I may see a 8/9 wt pole soon in the future when I go back
    Thanks for the set-up advice I certainly keep it in mind when (hopefully not if) getting the new pole!
    Sorry for the typos, I'm on my 3rd Alalskan white

Default Above the Fly and Below the Rod

I usually do pretty good on reds *knock on wood* everytime I go to the Kenai, whether Im targetting them or not. I used to use a twist on sinker weight about 3 ft above my fly. Then my buddies dad came up with a really effective way to get a good bounce and a perfect swing. This will work with either a spinning rod or a fly rod (keep in mind the fly rods usually land more fish due to less stress on the line) Put about a 3/4 ounce egg sinker above a double end barrel swivel. this is coming straight off the reel and rod. (if using a fly rod give about 2 - 2 1/2 ft between fly line and swivel.)

With the egg sinker free to slide,your fly can stay in its original position while keeping a swing. After putting on the 3/4 weight tie on your swivel. Then on the other loop tie on 4-5ft of leader ( i like to use 5), and then comes your fly. If fishing is slow try that method i bet it will pick up for you.

All the gear for that setup is also very cheap.

And btw, I use my 12wt fly rod for reds. I dont like being "That Guy" and i hate a rod braking because of a snagged tail, current, and a boat.

But it can definently be done with a 7-8wt fly rod.

I would crap a brick if i saw a red at the end of my 5wt.
    Go Fish

Default Wow!!! 3/4 ounce on flyrod!!!

Quote Originally Posted by liv2fish87 View Post
    I usually do pretty good on reds *knock on wood* everytime I go to the Kenai, whether Im targetting them or not. I used to use a twist on sinker weight about 3 ft above my fly. Then my buddies dad came up with a really effective way to get a good bounce and a perfect swing. This will work with either a spinning rod or a fly rod (keep in mind the fly rods usually land more fish due to less stress on the line) Put about a 3/4 ounce egg sinker above a double end barrel swivel. this is coming straight off the reel and rod. (if using a fly rod give about 2 - 2 1/2 ft between fly line and swivel.)

With the egg sinker free to slide,your fly can stay in its original position while keeping a swing. After putting on the 3/4 weight tie on your swivel. Then on the other loop tie on 4-5ft of leader ( i like to use 5), and then comes your fly. If fishing is slow try that method i bet it will pick up for you.

All the gear for that setup is also very cheap.

And btw, I use my 12wt fly rod for reds. I dont like being "That Guy" and i hate a rod braking because of a snagged tail, current, and a boat.

But it can definently be done with a 7-8wt fly rod.

I would crap a brick if i saw a red at the end of my 5wt.
    The most I use up on the russian is around 1/4-3/16 oz.... That is pushing it!! To each is own I guess.

Liv2fish87, thanks. I have a spinning rod and will definately give your set-up a try. I'm always looking for advice in the fishing dept. since I need a ll the help I can get.
    I need to watch more people with a fly rod before giving that a try, oh, and getting an adeqate fly rod
    I did see a fly rod guy next to me using only a hook with a piece of yarn and he was catching a ton. Patience is a virtue.