Thread: Has anyone been catching fish at Kasilof lately?

Default Has anyone been catching fish at Kasilof lately?

Any reports on the fish at Kasilof river?

Cool

The lackluster first-run is showing signs of coming to it's typically latter June end. We managed five to the boat yesterday with another 6-7 missed or hooked fish. Many of the fish I saw come from the upper river as we passed through were starting to darken up and we're starting to see a few blush ones even on the tide.

The PU nets are definitely having a little impact as well, I've personally seen 3-4 kings each out of a couple of net sites, so if you multiply that out by the armada on the beach right now ... that's gonna add up to slow the flow down.

With little movement into the creek yet, I wouldn't be surprised if we end up short of what is needed ... with the Kenai on its lips most of the month, the river has once agin taken up lots of the slack. I can't tell you how many times I heard conversations of groups at the ramps on afternoons of something along these lines: 'We were on the Kenai this morning and no fish, but decided to finish up over here."

I agree Bob, We were discussing the same thing last week. The ditch takes up a lot of slack when the Kenai is slow, but F&G has decided to plant fewer and fewer fish in the river. I think this is a bad desision.
    I'd be curious to know what you think? How have your catch #'s compared to 5 years ago when they were still stocking heavy?

I hope something makes it through since we're on our way back to try again this weekend.
    If not, sitting by the river with a line in the water and a cold beer is always good

More planting isn't the answer ... espeically with only a handful of miles to work with.

The 100k plants have been around for a bit ... the 200k plants go back further than five years ago. 1st run catch numbers haven't dropped much in the last five years out, this year being an exception, but that was to be expected with low returns widespread.

Just too many people for the same number of fish. Some of my thoughts, all controversial (what isn't when it comes to conserving)

Move PU gillnetting to later when most of these fish are done ...

Limit guide #'s ...basically pick a river to guide on, one or the other ... some won't survive and that will bring #'s down.

Close immediate confluence area to all fishing, maybe 2-300 yards below ...

Eliminate two fish limit on "kill days" (Tues, Thurs., Sat) ...

Remove annual limit on hatchery-origin kings ...

A big can of worms that I am sure will get thi smoved elsewhere ... it's too bad the other forum is only viisible to members. Education is important, and many have no idea that it even exists ...

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Ball - Piscatorial Pursuits View Post
    More planting isn't the answer ... espeically with only a handful of miles to work with.

The 100k plants have been around for a bit ... the 200k plants go back further than five years ago. 1st run catch numbers haven't dropped much in the last five years out, this year being an exception, but that was to be expected with low returns widespread.

Just too many people for the same number of fish. Some of my thoughts, all controversial (what isn't when it comes to conserving)

Limit guide #'s ...basically pick a river to guide on, one or the other ... some won't survive and that will bring #'s down.

A big can of worms that I am sure will get thi smoved elsewhere ... it's too bad the other forum is only viisible to members. Education is important, and many have no idea that it even exists ...
    Bob.
    Lots of good points:

We fished from the 9th to the 15th mostly evening tide to stay away from the guide fleet, i have to say the last couple years have been tuff (Where are the fish?) It's time to limit some bank, limit some guides, shift pu netting time lines, let the wild stock be wild. The fishing has really slowed. To have a good time down there I have to fish it on a Wednesday I used to fish from the bank in the early 80s & caught more fish in a couple nights then i did all last week from the boat. My skills must have went down hill.

Default Not sure about all your points...

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Ball - Piscatorial Pursuits View Post

-Limiting guide entry to only the Kenai or Kasilof is very unwise.

-Closing down already limited bank access at the confluence of Crooked Cr really only promotes the boat fishery?

-Increasing the annual limit of hatchery kings, eliminating Selective wild harvest days are very good points and where attempted in committee at 2008 BOF and shot down by many well know guides....

-Wild fish harvest should be by E.O. only. Additionally Crooked Cr should be managed for wild fish and there are significant hatchery technique improvements that could be made to the program that would increse returns w / out increasing smolt release numbers.

-All you other points are very valuable and insightful for sure Bob.

Default Just curious

Quote Originally Posted by TYNMON View Post
    -Limiting guide entry to only the Kenai or Kasilof is very unwise.
    Why is it unwise? Please elaborate.

Default Flexibility is a guide and fisheries managment advocate...

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    Why is it unwise? Please elaborate.

BOF is not going to buy that having segragation in the two fisheries is such a good thing... For example the entire point of the Kenai River guide acadamy... No offence to Bob, but I think the quality of the average Kasilof fishery guide would go down... Furthermore, "what if" the Kenai drift days are expanded???? Wouldn't it be better that there where guides that specialized in both driftboating the Kenai and Kasilof?

Anymore the really busy days on the Kasilof are Monday (cause the Kenai is closed), any day that it is rough our of Deep Cr, and of course everyones favorite random non fin clipped retention days ( Tue, TR, and Sat).

I think it is a general concensus that having dual registrations for both the Kenai or Kasilof is an enforcement and registration hassle for everyone invovled, not to mention all those different numbers on the side of the boats really confuses the general public.