Thread: Mossberg 500 barrel question

Default Mossberg 500 barrel question

For some reason this seems like a noob question, but I'm really having a tough time finding anything out - short of called Mossberg directly which I will do if this doesn't work.

I have a used Moss 500 defense gun with the 18.5" barrel and the long tube (same length as the barrel).

But I'm wanting to be able to use this gun for blasting ducks as well, with a 24 to 26" barrel. Now longer barrels for the Moss 500 are all over the place, but I don't think they're designed for the longer tubes on the defense guns.

Before I purchase a Moss barrel online, I just want to make sure the little end cap for the tube is the correct length for my 500 defense.

What markings characterize long barrels for the defense guns with the larger round capacities from the factory?

Thanks!

I believe you'd have to change to a shorter magazine to accomodate the hunting length barrels, and you'll also need a plug for the mag to reduce it's capacity to two rounds for hunting.

Often times you can get a complete used gun for what they aftermarket barrels run.

Wink Love the 500

You can get a used mag tube and barrel from Numrich Gun Parts without braking the bank, the spring and follower will fit both the shorter mag. Drop a 1/4 dowel down the threaded hole in the front of the mag tube while the barrel is off and with 2 shells in the mag, mark it and cut it 1 inch shorter, put it back in, install your barrel and you have your legal plug.

Numrich link
    http://www.gunpartscorp.com/
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Thanks Paul... I was slightly afraid of that. I figured it would have to use a plug, but wanted to try to keep the same mag.

I still might call Mossberg to confirm this...and I'll go pick up a Benelli SBEII